All 9 Steely Dan albums to be released on Hybrid Stereo SACD courtesy of Analogue Productions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only Katy Lied and The Royal Scam for me if we can get them at a reasonable price over here, (my guess is around £45 each by the time they hit the door mat + P&P). I have the other early ones on Japanese SACDs. But what I really want is them all in surround :)
I doubt I’ll get any of them. Already have the Citizen box, the three Q8 tapes, Gaucho, and TAG and EMG on cd. I’ll also wait for more surround releases.

Wish I could elicit a bit of excitement but I have a lot of those titles either on Universal's STEREO SHM~SACDs and/or multi~CH DVD~A and SACD. Another missed opportunity for AP by not including the existing multi~CH mixes!

Universal's SHM~SACD of PRETZEL LOGIC even comes in one of their nifty little boxes

R.da4b3b80f2bb3a30540b23dc94c6862a
This should be in hybrid multichannel.

I think this is the 7th time for Steely Dan.
In the digital domain? There were the original CD releases; the Citizen Steely Dan box (unique mastering); and then the single album remastered CDs around the turn of the millennium. That's it for full catalogue remastering campaigns, outside of Japan.

8 X 35 = $280.00 plus tax.
I have Japanese SHM SACD's of Gaucho, Aja, Pretzel Logic, and Countdown To Ecstasy.
I have 5.1 of Gaucho and Two Against Nature.

So I would need Katy Lied and the Royal Scam.

But I also have secret versions of those.

Is there any convincing knowledge that the AP versions at $280.00 would be worth it. Like phase correction or stuff like that?
I guess it would be wait and see as I don't like being the guinea pig anymore.

8 X 35 = $280.00 plus tax.
I have Japanese SHM SACD's of Gaucho, Aja, Pretzel Logic, and Countdown To Ecstasy.
I have 5.1 of Gaucho and Two Against Nature.

So I would need Katy Lied and the Royal Scam.

But I also have secret versions of those.

Is there any convincing knowledge that the AP versions at $280.00 would be worth it. Like phase correction or stuff like that?
I guess it would be wait and see as I don't like being the guinea pig anymore.
Mark
if you can find it, get The Royal Scam in MQA cd and you will be close to having everything you need - less Katy Lied, of course

In the digital domain? There were the original CD releases; the Citizen Steely Dan box (unique mastering); and then the single album remastered CDs around the turn of the millennium. That's it for full catalogue remastering campaigns, outside of Japan.
No, I was speaking in terms of the "recorded music" era, but in the digital era Discogs shows Can't Buy A Thrill, for example, has been re-issued/remastered/re-released/re-numbered/re-priced 14 times in the US alone. If you count all formats, it's 74 times.

If you've got the tolerance and the patience for it, and you have a well stocked salt cellar, you can find a million threads over at Hoffman debating the merits of the various masterings of individual Steely Dan releases. Since I'm not a vinyl guy, I found this one to be the most useful, even though it's 33 pages and counting:
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thre...fferent-masterings-the-summary-thread.561226/

Last edited:
fair enough, i appreciate that 🙂

its ok because i only have 4,769 versions of "Aja" already..!! 😂
ok, its only 6 versions of "Aja".. on CD.. 😅😂

9991AE14-89AD-4BF1-B8F9-B8BAACD62AF9.jpeg

1E8DD113-39AC-4200-9E01-302951A12BEA.jpeg

its been a while since i've played any of this stuff because its all been in storage due to covid/the pandemic but now i'm getting it back, at the risk of crapping all over my own thread 😂 i'm thinking i may actually be done with this catalogue after all..? 🤔

i mean, out of all the Aja CDs only the SHM-CD utilizing the SHM-SACD DSD mastering and the MFSL CD were what i'd call "unique-sounding", the other 4 CDs (all pre-Roger Nichols' Remaster) sounded the same as one another, despite my fellow inmates at SHTV saying they were different masterings and so on and they all sounded great! 🧐

ah i dunno.. i'll see how flush i am, as and when each new SACD comes out, i guess 🤷🏻‍♀️

Last edited:
I’ll buy Can‘t Buy a Thrill (pardon the pun) because it is my favorite SD, has one of my top 5 songs of all time (Reeling In the Years), and all the versions I have listened to are “veiled”.

MC rookie here....I didn't read the entire thread, but I did see mention of "existing" and "possibly eight" multichannel mixes. Which of these nine Dan albums have been mixed for MC and in which flavors? 5.1 or 4.0?

I’ll buy Can‘t Buy a Thrill (pardon the pun) because it is my favorite SD, has one of my top 5 songs of all time (Reeling In the Years), and all the versions I have listened to are “veiled”.
I thought the Universal Stereo SHM~SACD sounded pretty spectacular. Veiled? Not on my system!

edit: MY BAD ...... Can't Buy A Thrill is only available as a SHM~CD. Confused it with COUNTOWN TO ECTASY which I do have on SHM~SACD in an excellent transfer!

Last edited:
Back