All 9 Steely Dan albums to be released on Hybrid Stereo SACD courtesy of Analogue Productions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MC rookie here....I didn't read the entire thread, but I did see mention of "existing" and "possibly eight" multichannel mixes. Which of these nine Dan albums have been mixed for MC and in which flavors? 5.1 or 4.0?
Hey B&W: CBAT, CBE, and Pretzel Logic were mixed for quad (the latter, badly, at least according to the consensus). Pretzel Logic also has a known-completed-but-unreleased 5.1 mix by Elliot Scheiner, who also did brilliant 5.1 mixes of Gaucho, 2vN, and EMG (as well as the first 3 Donald Fagen solo albums). I'd say start with Scheiner's stuff and branch out from there!

Last edited:
Hey B&W: CBAT, CBE, and Pretzel Logic were mixed for quad (the latter, badly, at least according to the consensus). Pretzel Logic also has a known-completed-but-unreleased 5.1 mix by Elliot Scheiner, who also did brilliant 5.1 mixes of Gaucho, 2vN, and EMG (as well as the first 3 Donald Fagen solo albums). I'd say start with Scheiner's stuff and branch out from there!
...plus Elliot Scheiner's probably-mostly-complete 5.1 mix of Aja, minus the title track and "Black Cow," for which the multitracks are lost. Those two could be Penteo upmixed, but I don't see Fagen signing off on that, especially not while Pretzel Logic's 5.1 remains in the vaults.

humprof & JediJoker .... Although it's rather sad to read that some of the tapes from Aja are lost, reading about all of the other mixes that have been completed over the years is quite nice. I'm also pretty excited to see the name Elliot Scheiner being mentioned in this particular discussion.

I haven't checked in several years, but we should still have at least one stereo version for just about the entire Dan catalog put away somewhere [read: not too sure about Everything Must Go]. Regardless, it's still very nice to think about the possibilities. I realize this is a stereo thread, but I've learned that a good MC mix can bring new life to old art, so let's all hope that we're discussing MC mixes of this stuff in the near future.

Last edited:
I’m not finding this, after searches of Discogs, CDJapan, eBay, etc. Is there a reference I can use to locate a copy? All I found was a SHM-CD. No SACD.

thanks!
My bad, sbrom. Confused it with Countown to Ectasy which I do have on Universal Stereo SHM SACD. And you are correct that Can't Buy A Thrill is only available on SHM~CD ....and NOT SHM~SACD!

Will probably add the AP Stereo SACD to my collection, when available!

My bad, sbrom. Confused it with Countown to Ectasy which I do have on Universal Stereo SHM SACD. And you are correct that Can't Buy A Thrill is only available on SHM~CD ....and NOT SHM~SACD!

Will probably add the AP Stereo SACD to my collection, when available!
Thanks for checking, and no problem at all. I’m too am all-in for the AP release of CBAT.

A Casual Conversation: Donald Fagen, Fred Kaplan and Chad Kassem

At 13:00 Fagen tells when they first met of Becker playing him Laura Nyro's Eli & the 13th Confession on massive Altec speakers in his dorm room, noting the unexpected harmonic complexity.

as you can imagine, i'm not thrilled about the lack of inclusion of any of the Quads or 5.1 mixes at all.. but i'm still hopeful for some potential sonic improvement because i love these albums so much in any form! 🙂

Encouraging to hear from Kassem and Fagen the presumed lost original master tapes were located and used for this project.

Credit Kassem, vinyl geek that he is, for pressing 14 audiophile MC SACDs of the creme de la creme along with 100-odd desirable stereo rock, pop, jazz & blues titles.
His catalog is a contrast & complement to the easy listening & classical genres D-V offers.

The Wizard of Sa-l(eye)-na (like Carolina) Kansas.

Encouraging to hear from Kassem and Fagen the presumed lost original master tapes were located and used for this project.
IDK: were the stereo masters ever presumed lost? The original NYT reporting about the Universal fire included an anecdote about Irv Azoff & Elliott Scheiner going to the Iron Mountain facility outside Pittsburgh and verifying that the multi-track masters for the first seven albums (minus "Black Cow" and "Aja" from Aja) were safe and sound. Less clear what-all of SD's might still have been in the Universal vaults. I had it in my head that it was basically whatever stray outtakes & working tapes had managed to escape Becker & Fagen's own ruthless purges. And I seem to remember @steelydave plausibly theorizing that ABC's quad masters were already long gone. But maybe there'd also been an assumption (fear?) that some of the stereo masters were there?

At any rate, I'd be curious to know what sort of shape they were in; what sort of "treatment" (including EQ and NR) was done to them for the new mastering, including the transfer to DSD; and why exactly the original stereo masters for Aja and Gaucho weren't usable or available. (Although in the impossibly tangled history of these albums' "path to digital," it seems that as early as 1981 and 1982, Roger Nichols found that the analog masters "were in terrible shape, due to improper storage, and had poor fidelity"--and that the stereo master for the B-side of Aja was already missing! In his reply to one of the commenters on the YouTube announcement video, Kassem says that "There’s no evidence the original tapes containing the flat mixes of Aja and Gaucho were delivered to the record label and it’s presumed the tapes no longer exist.") And those "first-generation" copies: Japanese masters? Cutting masters? (Kassem believes that "[c]hances are the Cisco tape copy [was] made from the tape we're using.") Inquiring minds. . . .
Credit Kassem, vinyl geek that he is, for pressing 14 audiophile MC SACDs of the creme de la creme along with 100-odd desirable stereo rock, pop, jazz & blues titles.

His catalog is a contrast & complement to the easy listening & classical genres D-V offers.

The Wizard of Sa-l(eye)-na (like Carolina) Kansas.
He's a genuine fanboy, and you gotta love that back-bay bayou accent. I'm just concerned that after all the hoopla, and all the wrangling that seems to have been involved to get both Fagen and Universal on board with this project, this series of releases will now be regarded as the Final Word on those albums, and it'll remove the incentive, and maybe even the possibility, of doing anything else with them in the future.

Last edited:
I could understand the headaches involved with including the three quad mixes: Kassem/AP would have to invest time in finding the masters (if they even still exist), then pay to have them transferred to digital and mastered. There's also the real possibility that Fagen doesn't want them out there, similar to how Pink Floyd didn't want the quad mix of DSOTM included in the 30th anniversary SACD release.

There's really no excuse for not including the 5.1's of Gaucho, 2vN, and EMG though, they were created under the supervision of Becker & Fagen and mastered versions of all three already exist in the digital domain. For Gaucho, they probably still have the DSD master from the original SACD release. As for Pretzel Logic, Scheiner and Becker both told S&V's Mike Mettler that the 5.1 mix was finished way back in 2005. I guess it would take some effort on the part of AP to find the hard drive this is sitting on, but you'd think the inclusion of a previously-unreleased mix would net them a few more sales.

I could understand the headaches involved with including the three quad mixes: Kassem/AP would have to invest time in finding the masters (if they even still exist), then pay to have them transferred to digital and mastered. There's also the real possibility that Fagen doesn't want them out there, similar to how Pink Floyd didn't want the quad mix of DSOTM included in the 30th anniversary SACD release.

There's really no excuse for not including the 5.1's of Gaucho, 2vN, and EMG though, they were created under the supervision of Becker & Fagen and mastered versions of all three already exist in the digital domain. For Gaucho, they probably still have the DSD master from the original SACD release. As for Pretzel Logic, Scheiner and Becker both told S&V's Mike Mettler that the 5.1 mix was finished way back in 2005. I guess it would take some effort on the part of AP to find the hard drive this is sitting on, but you'd think the inclusion of a previously-unreleased mix would net them a few more sales.
The releases are going to be parceled out over the next year, so I suppose it's possible that before he got to the last 3 albums, Kassem could be persuaded to add the multi-channel mixes. But I'm guessing the contracts are already signed and the production arrangements already in place, so I doubt anyone is in the mood to renegotiate.

P.S.: Kassem actually replies selectively to the comments on his YouTube videos. One commenter on the "Big Announcement" vid inquired about a multi-channel SACD of Aja, and Kassem answered without addressing that specific query. Another commenter mentioned that it would be nice to include the quad mixes for the first three albums, and Kassem simply replied that no, they "are not doing any quad mixes."

Last edited:
Well I can’t be sure because the Acoustic Sounds page isn’t loading on multiple browsers, but I just got a credit card alert from them for the same price as my Countdown to Ecstasy SACD pre-order back in February.

Perhaps I’ll be cranking Bodhisattva soon.

Finally got access to the site after it giving me errors all day. My CtE is “In Progress” so that’s nice.

I decided that when it comes to this series, I would only pre-order one at a time even though I plan to get them all. I had heard that the SACDs are targeted to come at around the same time as the LPs... “around the same time” being very open to interpretation.

If you haven’t seen the LP schedule, it’s:

Pretzel Logic - July 28
Aja - Sep 29
Gaucho - Dec 1
Katy Lied - Mar 29, 2024
Royal Scam - Jun 28, 2024

Obviously don’t bet too much money on that schedule staying the same, although if true it’s disappointing we’re a year out from the series being complete. Happy that Aja is coming sooner than later, though. Looking forward to Gaucho, too.

I suppose I'll put in a pre-order for Pretzel Logic this weekend and keep my fingers crossed that July is accurate.

So did they find the original master of Aja?! That’s been “misplaced “ for so long, it would be awesome news to find out it’s been located!

Back