All 9 Steely Dan albums to be released on Hybrid Stereo SACD courtesy of Analogue Productions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
MC rookie here....I didn't read the entire thread, but I did see mention of "existing" and "possibly eight" multichannel mixes. Which of these nine Dan albums have been mixed for MC and in which flavors? 5.1 or 4.0?
Hey B&W: CBAT, CBE, and Pretzel Logic were mixed for quad (the latter, badly, at least according to the consensus). Pretzel Logic also has a known-completed-but-unreleased 5.1 mix by Elliot Scheiner, who also did brilliant 5.1 mixes of Gaucho, 2vN, and EMG (as well as the first 3 Donald Fagen solo albums). I'd say start with Scheiner's stuff and branch out from there!

Last edited:

JediJoker

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Hey B&W: CBAT, CBE, and Pretzel Logic were mixed for quad (the latter, badly, at least according to the consensus). Pretzel Logic also has a known-completed-but-unreleased 5.1 mix by Elliot Scheiner, who also did brilliant 5.1 mixes of Gaucho, 2vN, and EMG (as well as the first 3 Donald Fagen solo albums). I'd say start with Scheiner's stuff and branch out from there!
...plus Elliot Scheiner's probably-mostly-complete 5.1 mix of Aja, minus the title track and "Black Cow," for which the multitracks are lost. Those two could be Penteo upmixed, but I don't see Fagen signing off on that, especially not while Pretzel Logic's 5.1 remains in the vaults.

B&W Driver

humprof & JediJoker .... Although it's rather sad read to see that some of the tapes from Aja are lost, reading about all of the other mixes that have been completed over the years is quite nice. I'm also pretty excited to see the name Elliot Scheiner being mentioned in this particular discussion.

I haven't checked in several years, but we should still have at least one stereo version for just about the entire Dan catalog put away somewhere [read: not too sure about Everything Must Go]. Regardless, it's still very nice to think about the possibilities. I realize this is a stereo thread, but I've learned that a good MC mix can bring new life to old art, so let's all hope that we're discussing MC mixes of this stuff in the near future.

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I’m not finding this, after searches of Discogs, CDJapan, eBay, etc. Is there a reference I can use to locate a copy? All I found was a SHM-CD. No SACD.

thanks!
My bad, sbrom. Confused it with Countown to Ectasy which I do have on Universal Stereo SHM SACD. And you are correct that Can't Buy A Thrill is only available on SHM~CD ....and NOT SHM~SACD!

Will probably add the AP Stereo SACD to my collection, when available!

sbrom

600 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
My bad, sbrom. Confused it with Countown to Ectasy which I do have on Universal Stereo SHM SACD. And you are correct that Can't Buy A Thrill is only available on SHM~CD ....and NOT SHM~SACD!

Will probably add the AP Stereo SACD to my collection, when available!
Thanks for checking, and no problem at all. I’m too am all-in for the AP release of CBAT.