ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpg

I had been combing through my physical disks and found several that I'd never ripped! Hugo Montenegro - Others By Brothers/Scenes And Themes, Danny Davis And The Nashville Brass - Travelin'/Carribean Cruise, The Cecil Holmes Soulful Sounds - The Black Motion Picture Experience/Music For Soulful Lovers.

Heck, I don't even remember listening to these.

Gene, I kept meaning to comment on your pictures from South America.

It appears to be a Grundig or Telefunken console, probably early '60's vintage. What brand was it and where did you find this relic?

My first "system" was a Grundig console that I dissembled. Crowbar in hand, I removed the receiver portion and speakers. Tossed the turntable and cabinet. Every connection for source units was 5 pin DIN plugs. There was no space in my bedroom for another piece of furniture.

The receiver portion had a tube (valve) SOCKET that had a short, because of bakelite (or lack thereof) no longer insulating between two of the contacts. I could not find a tube socket that mounted the same way, being a German design. Not even from Newark or Allied Electronics (Allied Radio industrial div.) I wound up using acid core solder to attach the socket to the chassis. Rube Goldberg would have been proud. Then, rosin core solder to make the connection. It worked perfectly once the shorted socket was replaced.

Within a few years, this was replaced by component hi-fi and Quad gear. Later, MC cartridge tuner/pre/power amps, video & digital discs.

Memories light the corners of my mind.

FYI: more often than not, I'm on QQ from my phone and often don't have time to post. Then, I often forget to post, although I've clicked on like. Although I'm retired, I lead a very busy life. Please don't think I'm angry or have left QQ, or even the planet, if you've not seen me post for awhile.
Quad Linda, I dearly love my wife of 35 years, but she’s lucky I didn’t meet you first!

Netflix - Babylon Berlin - little snippets of Roxy Music in the soundtrack. Then Bryan Ferry himself singing a cabaret version of "Bittersweet"

MVIMG_20200301_200641.jpg

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200301_200641.jpg
    MVIMG_20200301_200641.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 107
Back