ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How the heck have I not heard of this band? Fanny....seems they were functional from around 1969-1975 or so. Just love the way they sound. Something tells me Quad Linda probably knows them!

Here is a remake they did of Marvin Gaye song. If you're impatient, the actual song starts at the 1:39 mark.

Been a fan since seeing them in late 1971 at the Cornstock Nation Student Union.
This super high-quality Beat Club footage that surfaced on YT is a treasure.

https://www.discogs.com/Fanny-Fanny/master/444613#images/5571119
R-1386429-1313590813.jpeg.jpg

Anyone have any actual listening experience with this new mash up of MQA technology and UHQCD format?
And also, more technical info, i.e. "Dynamic Range", freq. & bit depth... etc.?
Pretty sure that good ol' SACD is still much superior to these new money grabbers.
My OPPO UDP205 will play these apparently, but haven't taken the bait yet.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/feature/Wo...enre&utm_campaign=JazzFusion_HiResCD_20180424
Seems like if the 0's and 1's are the same; and the transfer is optimal, probably shouldn't be any difference if the source material (mastering) is the same?
uhacd_description_1.jpg

uhacd_description_2.jpg

Anyone have any actual listening experience with this new mash up of MQA technology and UHQCD format?
And also, more technical info, i.e. "Dynamic Range", freq. & bit depth... etc.?
Pretty sure that good ol' SACD is still much superior to these new money grabbers.
My OPPO UDP205 will play these apparently, but haven't taken the bait yet.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/feature/Wo...enre&utm_campaign=JazzFusion_HiResCD_20180424
Seems like if the 0's and 1's are the same; and the transfer is optimal, probably shouldn't be any difference if the source material (mastering) is the same?
View attachment 47501
View attachment 47502

All I can add, JP, is that MQA was invented by Bob Stuart and Allen Boothroyd who introduced the world to MLP [Meridian Lossless Packing] for the DVD~Audio format.

I've posted numerous times that the only title I have in UHQ MQA is George Harrison's ALL THINGS MUST PASS, a controversial title in itself for Phil Spector's 'regrettable' WALL of SOUND and is probably is NOT a good indicator of the relatively new format's potential.

AFAIK, the audiophile press has been sharply divided on the merits and/or demerits of MQA so I would advise anyone who has an OPPO 205 which eliminated HDCD decoding for MQA to try it out for themselves. Just add a title which is NOT as controversial as Spector's botch job on ATMP and let 'er RIP!

Like HDCD, MQA can be played without a proper decoder but just won''t reap the benefits of the 'implied' superior MQA decoding technology.

To play it safe, you might want to start with these Universal SAMPLERS which include both a non~MQA/MQA UHQ title for comparison...and they're CHEAP:

Last edited:
Back