ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have this release that was released this week by The Alarm, but I thought it was cool that it is the first cover that shows the riot at The Capitol building. Might be a collectors item some day.
R-17580109-1614261185-6325.jpeg.jpg

Live from the other side what you see
A bunch of nonsense on my TV
Heaven on Earth is what I need
But I feel I’m in hell every time I breathe
Reporting live from the other side what you hear
A bunch of nonsense all in my ear
Rich man, poor man, we all gotta pay

Cause freedom ain’t free, especially ’round my way

The RIAA is reporting that physical media only accounts for 9% of music industry revenue.

View attachment 63920
I wonder how much of that streaming revenue actually reaches the artist, hardly anything from the reports I've read :( and its way less than from radio plays where the split is usually 50:50 with the label.

Remember the 'Home taping is killing music' adverts/warnings from the industry, but without a decent income from streaming how will musicians make enough money to be able to make more music. The industry-labels & streamers win in the short/medium term, but long term .......

This is what i get for reading emails from the New York Times!

Groove to some Japanese city pop
A 37-year-old song has helped drive a comeback for a genre of music from Japan called city pop.​
A YouTube video of the track, “Plastic Love” by Mariya Takeuchi, has garnered more than 56 million views since 2017. For many young fans, it served as an entry point to city pop, as Cat Zhang explains in Pitchfork. The genre is from the ’70s and ’80s and was influenced by R&B and jazz. It often pairs shimmery vocals with funky production, and the result is an effervescent sound.​
City pop “promises a romantic escape across the Pacific that’s somewhat detached from reality, feeding the imaginations of young homebodies scrolling online,” Zhang writes.​
The YouTube algorithm is partly behind the genre’s online resurgence. Calming, atmospheric music — which can be played in the background on repeat while users work — is popular on the platform. Many of those listeners end up discovering city pop in their video recommendations. As Rolling Stone reported, a Reddit user trying to identify the source of the genre’s sudden popularity wrote, “citypop is also known as youtuberecommendationcore.”​
The songs also reach new audiences through TikTok. One trend on the platform, Zhang writes, had users of Japanese descent playing a 1979 city pop song for their mothers, who beamed and sang along in response.​

Back