ALL ABOUT MUSIC

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shocked it took me this long to order this blu-ray audio........anyway....got a good price...

A1aygpMF%2BNL._SL1500_.jpg

Shocked it took me this long to order this blu-ray audio........anyway....got a good price...
Despite being a Yes "fan" I did not know this album back in the day. I was lukewarm on my first listen to this BDA but have come to like it very much. Enjoy!

Yeah, "Hold Your Head Up". Kind of a strange little ditty with unusual organ parts but I have always liked it.

Doug

I was watching the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame 2014 show on my HD DVR and decided I wanted a blu ray version...so I go surfing the net and can't find one...but in my travels I stumbled on some information about the HOF show I didn't know...it involves the "presenters" of the inductees...they aren't picked by the bands...they are picked by the Hall Of Fame...and this sometimes leads to controversy...like this years presenter Miley Cyrus for Joan Jett and The Blackhearts...Miley is both scant on clothing and some say scant on talent...but somehow the Hall thought differently...it will be on May 30th on HBO..

I was watching the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame 2014 show on my HD DVR and decided I wanted a blu ray version...so I go surfing the net and can't find one...but in my travels I stumbled on some information about the HOF show I didn't know...it involves the "presenters" of the inductees...they aren't picked by the bands...they are picked by the Hall Of Fame...and this sometimes leads to controversy...like this years presenter Miley Cyrus for Joan Jett and The Blackhearts...Miley is both scant on clothing and some say scant on talent...but somehow the Hall thought differently...it will be on May 30th on HBO..

Smiley Virus!!

After watching the 2014 Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame show recently and seeing Nirvana inducted I decided to dust off their CD Nevermind...4 of the first 5 songs are killer...Smells Like Teen Spirit..In Bloom...Come As You Are and Lithium...what tunes...man it takes me back to when I first heard them in 1991...bought the Nevermind CD...for me they never equaled that album..and they didn't last long as a band...but those songs were so unique...I hadn't heard a sound quite like that..and that analog sound is alive and well on this CD(the 1991 version)..you can crank it up without ear bleed...it's certainly not hi rez sounding...but for a CD and that style of music it's pretty good...

Back in the day, I always liked "In Utero" much better but if I had to choose today, it would definitely be "Nevermind". "Nevermind" was one of many CD's I had that was loaned out and never returned. To this day, I don't own it and haven't heard it since the late 1990's. I still have "In Utero" and haven't played that one in over a decade. It may be time to dig it out. Can you dig it?! :)

Listening to DIO - Holy Diver (Gold CD)

1. Stand Up And Shout - I thought this song sounded sort of harsh.
2. Holy Diver - Instantly noticed an improved clarity and punch on this song. The opening sequence of wind...sounded much more clear....also noticed some intricate sounds in the background I never noticed on the standard CD. Nice improvement on this song.
3. Gypsy - Sounds pretty good, but I'm not noticing too much difference from standard CD on this tune.
4. Caught In The Middle - Clean cymbals, punchy drumming. Sounds good to me.
5. Don't Talk To Strangers - This starts out simply excellent. Acoustic guitar is spot on...clean, clear and vibrant. Dio's voice is on a pedestal here. Sounds excellent. AGain, drums are strong here. This song is a pretty huge improvement IMO. I turned this one up and it sounds better than ever.
6. Straight Through The Heart - Another excellent sounding song. Again, I think this sounds stronger than CD. The moments where the drums are only instrument...they sound killer. Nice low end, sounds real.
7. Invisible - Opening guitar always reminded me of some mid 70's tune...great vibe. Sounds pretty clean here. Dio's voice again, is clear...solid. Then at 1:05 the sound of wind...crisp, piercing. Great. Now the song jams with a swagger. Ronnie rules here. Punchy drums....great sound.
8. Rainbow In The Dark - Whoa...nice. Nice low end....vocals solid. I see nothing wrong with this.
9. Shame On The Night - Oh boy....opening licks totally remind me of old Nugent. Sounds outstanding. More solid punchy drums. Oh wow...the bass guitar has some serious chops in this song. So good...of course, this tune has a big thick Sabbath swagger to it. Always thought that.

Man - I liked this better than I thought I would. I think AF did an excellent job on this disc...I mean...for the content and style of music, they captured the sound and brought some meat to it. Thicker than standard CD. No doubt in my mind. Now, don't be thinking this sounds as clean as James Taylor....we all know better. Still, very good IMO.

714LlEWQpcL._SX425_.jpg

Speaking of RUSH...if someone wants to save a few dollars on the pre order of Farewell To Kings..there is a PROMO that is only good for a short while...ends tomorrow at noon which gives you 15% off...I just paid $23.66 delivered for mine(they charged me tax)..if you are interested...go HERE

PROMO CODE IS FREEMONEY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back