ALL ABOUT MUSIC

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what the description in Japanese said:

A compilation of the Southland and Steely Dan early Steely Dan live recordings. Live album "pretzel logic" at the announcement of, disk 1 is 3/10/1974, concert at the University of California, disk 2 is 10 days after 3/20 Studio sessions at the record plant in Los Angeles, respectively. Works as a live band will be live and inactive since the pretzel logic album production must continue to appoint session musician Donald Fagen Walter Becker Combi before their valuable performance. Michael McDonald was also participating. All 19 songs recording.

Thanks for the translation:)...some of that information was listed in the amazon uk description HERE...I don't know why I'm so curious about this release..other than it's Steely Dan and I can't seem to get enough of their music...I expect it will sound pretty bad...

SD's official website has this post regarding their releases:
The only authorized live SD full length performance releases are 1) Alive in America CD (1995) and 2) the PBS-Plush DVD/VHS (2000). All other live SD concerts are unauthorized, illegal bootlegs.

They also post a list of unauthorized recordings, although this title isn't listed.

BTW: QQ discourages discussion of any unauthorized recordings, bootlegs, counterfeits, etc.

A couple personal notes:
1 - I was at their concert at Poplar Creek (RIP) in Hoffman Estates, IL. Alive in America's version of Reeling in the Years (with horns) was from that concert.
2 - Coincidentally, I had just watched Two Against Nature Plush TV Jazz-Rock Party in Sensuous Surround Sound on DVD-V. RECOMMENDED!

I'll see if I can dig up anything about Southland on the Japanese websites. But, so far nothing about the sound quality or anything like that.

SD's official website has this post regarding their releases:
The only authorized live SD full length performance releases are 1) Alive in America CD (1995) and 2) the PBS-Plush DVD/VHS (2000). All other live SD concerts are unauthorized, illegal bootlegs.

They also post a list of unauthorized recordings, although this title isn't listed.

BTW: QQ discourages discussion of any unauthorized recordings, bootlegs, counterfeits, etc.

A couple personal notes:
1 - I was at their concert at Poplar Creek (RIP) in Hoffman Estates, IL. Alive in America's version of Reeling in the Years (with horns) was from that concert.
2 - Coincidentally, I had just watched Two Against Nature Plush TV Jzz-Rock Party in Sensuous Surround Sound on DVD-V.

I doubt this project is illegal...with amazon and CDJapan being involved...but it's probably not authorized by the band either...like an unauthorized biography of a famous person..

A couple personal notes:
2 - Coincidentally, I had just watched Two Against Nature Plush TV Jazz-Rock Party in Sensuous Surround Sound on DVD-V. RECOMMENDED!

1 - I was at that same show. A shame about Poplar Creek, I preferred it to the Tinley Park venue that seemed to essentially take its place. (I left Chicago in '98 so my memory could be hazy regarding its opening)
2 - Oh my, yes. Skip the interview segments and bask in one of the best and most immersive live surround mixes ever released.

Thanks to blue monk and Quad Linda I'm now listening to Plush TV Jazz-Rock Party in Sensuous Surround Sound...it's the only place I can get a portion of my favorite SD album(Aja)in surround with Peg and Josie in surround...this DVD V is so much better(in content)than the Two Against Nature DVD-A...which I hardly ever play...it's worth the effort to skip the chapters in between the songs..I don't watch the crappy video(and it is very crappy)..

Poplar Creek was a favorite venue of mine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poplar_Creek_Music_Theater

Some of the acts I saw there were: Santana (2x), Steely Dan, NY Rock and Soul Revue (Becker, Fagen, Phoebe Snow, Michael McDonald, Boz Scaggs, Harvey Brooks, etc.), Herb Alpert TJB reunion w/Lani Hall, Dylan, Weather Report, Chicago, Monkees, Peter Noone, Gary Puckett, Rob Grill (Grassroots), and Barry Manilow, among others.

Memorable moments:
1 - Meeting Herb Alpert & Lani Hall. Herb was most amused at me wearing my "You Smile, the Song Begins" t-shirt included in the 1974 promo kit of the album. The promo kit also included a mobile, which I wish I still had. BTW: You Smile... was originally scheduled as a CD-4 release, as was Coney Island. Both CD-4 releases were scrapped, because the albums stiffed.

2 - At Weather Report's show, Joe Zawinul announces: "now we're going to let Jaco Pastorius do his thing." Jaco sits atop a huge amp and plays Purple Haze solo on his bass.

3 - At the end of the NY Rock & Roll Revue show, Donald Fagen yells, "see you next year." I turned to my two pals and asked, "are they going to do this next year, or will it be Steely Dan?" Next year came and it was SD.

4 - Before the Barry Manillow show, we ran into someone my then fiancee worked with. Foot in mouth, my ex says, "this must be your wife." I could see the guy was embarrassed as hell. So, obviously, it wasn't his wife!

5 - Since I was at another show anyway, I picked up Herb Alpert tickets. Obviously, the kid at the box office hadn't heard of him. He kept referring to him as "Her-bert Al-Pert."

I keep buying all these SD and mini-SD cards. Although my plasma, DVD burner w/HD, iMac and bluetooth printer all take these cards, I can't find a one damn Steely Dan song on any of them. :howl

"Give her some funked-up music." - SD

The Exclusive Company is about a 10 minute walk for me. Atomic Records is a block away.

Is Atomic Records back in a storefront?
https://en-gb.facebook.com/Atomic.Records.Milwaukee.WI
http://www.atomic-records.com/shirts/

The last time I was in that neighborhood, there was an Atomic in their space, but it was Atomic Glass: http://www.atomicglassshop.com

I found some great live CD's at Atomic Records' going out of business sale in '09.

It's been a couple months since we've been in Milwaukee. We plan to visit later this month. Exclusive Company on Farwell and in Greendale are must stops. Bull's Eye Records is on the list, too. Luke Lavin, who ran the now-defunct Farwell Music, is the owner. A great guy, good businessman and a knowledgeable collector. Musical Memories on Kilborn is another must stop.

The Exclusive Company is about a 10 minute walk for me. Atomic Records is a block away.

Ooops! Not Atomic, Bullseye Records is in the next block. I can see it from my front porch. They rarely have quad.

Here it goes a funny story: Marco minneman posted in facebook that David Gilmour and Bono attended yesterday to Steven Wilson's show. Carrie (the model in the cover picture from HCE) posted the same, adding also that Steve Rothery also attended. And well, it's well documented that Bono was yesterday watching the soccer match in Monaco...

So who could Marco and Carrie may have taken for Bono? A guy from SH forum says that our mysterious man was no other than Phil Manzanera! Who in the music business cannot tell Phil from Bono??? You just have to look at the shirt :D

Anyway, asumming that whole story is true, there's now a direct link between Gilmour and SW, I wonder if that could lead to any joint act in the future. Unlikely I'd say, but who knows.

Just noticed an obituary in The Times (UK) for Andy Fraser of Free who died on Monday 16th March. He famously wrote All Right Now in a few minutes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back