All Five Horizons... Pearl Jam albums in Dolby Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do wonder though if the Atmos release of No Code might mean something for doing a deluxe edition of the album at some point soon.

So the Pearl Jam fan club sent out an email newsletter earlier this week mentioning that October is an anniversary of the release of two Pearl Jam albums: 1993's Vs. and 2013's Lightning Bolt. It was similar to the early mentions of the anniversaries of Ten and No Code and it got me wondering if Atmos mixes of those albums might follow soon. It would be a nice combo of a "classic" PJ album and a newer one to go with Gigaton in Atmos. They opened the floodgates and now my mind is racing!! :LOL:

What two Pearl Jam albums would you folks like to see released next in Atmos?

I mean has the Gigaton Visual album gone anywhere else but Apple? It's been out almost 2 years and I think it's still only on Apple.

Seems like the band has some preference for Apple, or some deal that they like.

First we got Gigaton in Atmos with the whole Visual Album thing, made available on Apple TV and for purchase from Apple. Then of course, the Atmos mix was part of the Apple Spatial Audio launch. And now yesterday, a total surprise for me (the absolute biggest PJ fan of anyone I know) and everyone else I know, they dropped Ten and No Code in Atmos on Apple Music. So now we have three full Pearl Jam studio albums in Atmos and I feel it's time for a thread!

I'm losing my mind right now at how awesome they are. I've listened to both albums on the Atmos home theater system and now I am finishing up a listen in Atmos on my AirPods Pro. I feel like the Ten mix is sort of half the original mix approach (wet and wet and wet. lots of reverb.) and the Redux mix approach. For me on the surround system, some tracks faired better than others. First impressions:

1. Once - Not too much going on surround wise. Very fronts heavy. Took a bit for me to get used to the new mix. Could use some more bass.
2. Evenflow - A bit better surround mix, especially the backing vocals in the surrounds, but again seemed very front heavy.
3. Alive - Much more discrete mix with surround content. Gave me goosebumps.
4. Why Go - Similar to Alive. Good surround.
5. Black - LOTS of great surround content,as the song builds the mix envelops the listener. Stunning and everything I hoped for with this song in surround.
6. Jeremy - Another great surround mix. Very enjoyable. Something about the closing chords sounded off to me. Too quiet?
7. Oceans - The oasis of this album is absolutely amazing in Atmos. Lots of space in the recording gives this mix room to move and breathe.
8. Porch - This mix I just didn’t care for. Too much of the douchey old mix. This one works so much better in the Redux version (sounds like Vs.) that about halfway through I skipped to the next song.
9. Garden - Another highlight of this Atmos mix. Lots of surround, great sounding. Mike's solos with the echo in the right rear surround gave me chills.
10. Deep - Good mix. More like the first two tracks, not a ton that I remember in surrounds.
11. Release - Sooooooo strange. The music sounds phenomenal in Atmos. Like Black, this track is everything I wanted in a surround version… except the vocal is a COMPLETELY different take. Possibly recorded later? He sings the lyrics with the changes like he sings it in concert (can you see US now?) and that makes me think he went back and re-recorded the vocal track later??? Very strange.
these new mixes in ATMOS are amazing. The detail and separation of the guitar parts really helps me appreciate the playing and the guitar tones. the original stereo mix is muddy in comparison, congested.

Back