All Things Must Pass?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onthewall2983

George's Dark Horse label to be revived. This article is a basic history of how the label was launched to it's dissolution, but there are some tantalizing details about new editions of some of George's most essential releases coming.

The company’s archival research has also turned up a trove of unissued George Harrison material. “We have people digging through mountains of tapes, and they keep coming,” says Dhani. “Boxes and boxes of them.” This year marks the 50th anniversary of All Things Must Pass, and Dhani and his archivists have unearthed hours of unreleased material and unheard songs from those sessions. “A lot of it has been bootlegged, but we have better versions,” says Olivia. “We have all the 24-tracks of All Things Must Pass, and we found lots of different takes and talking in the studio.”

Next year will mark the 50th anniversary of the Concert for Bangladesh, followed in 2023 by the five-decade mark of Living in the Material World. Each of those projects could be accorded expanded editions, although the specifics aren’t worked out.

Dhani says he is asked on a regular basis about his father’s controversial 1974 tour more than any of Harrison’s other undertakings. Dhani says he’s listened back to tapes of all the shows and agrees that his father wasn’t in the best of voice, but still feels the shows revealed another aspect of George’s music. “His voice is pretty tired, but in my opinion, it sounds great,” he says. “It’s raspy, and it has grit to it. You can hear the fragility in all the songs. It’s a different take on a lot of his music.” Olivia says several of the shows were also filmed, onstage and offstage, and the material has the makings of a documentary. “I think it would make a great tour movie,” she says. “The backstage footage is amazing and hysterical. Things went on backstage that don’t happen now. Now everything is so cut and dried, the opposite of spontaneous.”

George's Dark Horse label to be revived. This article is a basic history of how the label was launched to it's dissolution, but there are some tantalizing details about new editions of some of George's most essential releases coming.
As all the 24 tracks survive we can but hope for a 5.1 mix - maybe as the Beatles ones have been successful?

If I bought nothing else all year I would definately be on for Day 1 of All Things Must Pass Atmos mix.

Unfortunately, I took the bait and recently purchased the newly remastered Japanese 'UHQ' MQA version which I was able to decode through the OPPO 205. Even on my reference non MQA Meridian 808 player it sounded dreadful.

See the source image

Last edited:
Amazon Prime subscribers can listen to the two disc 2014 mix "Remaster".
Before I actually listened to any Beatles or [long list of artists omitted], I discovered what is sometimes called neo prog and renewed my love of discovering new music with Spock's Beard's "Beware of Darkness". I didn't realise it was a cover until years later.
Unfortunately ATMP was not one of albums with the best rec
Unfortunately, I took the bait and recently purchased the newly remastered Japanese 'UHQ' MQA version which I was able to decode through the OPPO 205. Even on my reference non MQA Meridian 808 player it sounded dreadful.

See the source image
Unfortunately ATMP was not one of albums with the best recording quality. Let's hope that whoever remasters this album can improve the quality worthy of the content. This album opened the door and proved that Harrison's writing was on par, and during his solo career, better than Lennon or McCartney.

George Harrison said he regretted the amount of reverb all over the album, and I completely agree. Phil Spector is a disaster as a producer. I love the album in theory, but find it difficult to listen to anymore.

I fear that much of this reverb is burned into the multitracks, considering Spector's approach.

Except... who am I kidding? I would still buy a surround release! 24 tracks means a lot of stuff could come out of the din, if it were mixed fairly discretely.

George Harrison said he regretted the amount of reverb all over the album, and I completely agree. Phil Spector is a disaster as a producer. I love the album in theory, but find it difficult to listen to anymore.

I fear that much of this reverb is burned into the multitracks, considering Spector's approach.

Except... who am I kidding? I would still buy a surround release! 24 tracks means a lot of stuff could come out of the din, if it were mixed fairly discretely.
1st post MarkerB ?
Welcome to the QQ forum !

As a goof (and I knew what I was getting into) I bagged this thing off eBay a few months ago. Needless to say, the 5.1 is awful. I could have done better with Penteo or SPECWeb. The surround mix is actually pretty decent on second take. It 's also nice to have the out takes (which of course have been floating around for decades) in one spot. However, I would not advise anyone to get a bootleg as it's not authorized and it's always a crap shoot. If you've never heard the unreleased stuff it might be a worthy purchase to you. My curiosity cost me about fifty bucks! o_O

Forage on at your own risk. I do not recommend purchasing bootleg recordings.

atmp.jpg

As a goof (and I knew what I was getting into) I bagged this thing off eBay a few months ago. Needless to say, the 5.1 is awful. I could have done better with Penteo or SPECWeb. The surround mix is actually pretty decent on second take. It 's also nice to have the out takes (which of course have been floating around for decades) in one spot. However, I would not advise anyone to get a bootleg as it's not authorized and it's always a crap shoot. If you've never heard the unreleased stuff it might be a worthy purchase to you. My curiosity cost me about fifty bucks! o_O

Forage on at your own risk. I do not recommend purchasing bootleg recordings.

View attachment 47302
Thank you for the review on this. I saw it awhile back and was curious.....

Back