Quad LP/Tape Poll Allman Brothers Band: Eat A Peach [CD-4/Q8/Q4]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allmans: Eat A Peach

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sound, Bad Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Their 1972 album, with several chart hits and of course "Mountain Jam"

Side 1:

1. Ain't Wastin' Time No More
2. Les Brers in A Minor
3. Melissa

Side 2:

1. Mountain Jam

Side 3:

1. One Way Out
2. Trouble No More
3. Stand Back
4. Blue Sky
5. Little Martha

Side 4:

1. Mountain Jam Cont'd.

Attachments

• Allman Eat A Peach.jpg
    Allman Eat A Peach.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 643
This album is great, even though the very long Mountain Jam tends to ramble on. All the other songs are great hits. In addition, this album has much better separation than the SACD version.

Can someone PM me a location where I can get the rtrax Q4? I can't find it posted anywhere in all the usual locations.

Does anyone else, besides me, really hope that Universal puts together a Super Deluxe Edition for this album, complete with a HFPA Blu-Ray disc? (Similar to the sets released for "Idlewild South" and the Fillmore East concerts)
It would be the perfect opportunity to release both the 2004 5.1 mix (or a newer 5.1 mix if that's what suits them) along with this original Quad mix together in high-resolution on a single disc.
I'm thinking (and hoping) that it could happen either this year or next year as I'm sure they will want to continue with the Allman Brothers Super Deluxe editions as they have since 2013. Like I always say, Hope Springs Eternal! :)

Back in '71 it was hard to imagine the Allmans could improve on the Fillmore East set, but here, we get a strong mix of live and studio, and some really indelible rock and some nice ballads ("Melissa," "Blue Sky"). You wouldn't think a track as long as "Mountain Jam" would work for thirty-four minutes or so, but it does, which is rare in this context.

Now, for the vinyl sequencing...always struck me as odd that the "Jam" was relegated to Sides 2 & 4 instead of 2 & 3...but really, it belongs in the middle of the album, with Side 3 becoming Side 4 so it ends with the lovely porch duet "Little Martha" with Duane and Dickie, a wonderful gentle coda, wistful at the time (hell, still) for Duane's having been killed just months before the album's release.

And yes, I think we'd all like to have that original quad mix back in circulation! For now, the vinyl will have to do, and it does well enough.

ED :)

Now, for the vinyl sequencing...always struck me as odd that the "Jam" was relegated to Sides 2 & 4 instead of 2 & 3...
Hello Ed.

Remember those record players where you'd put two or more disc together and they will drop and play in sequence?

If you listen to sides A of both albums and turn them as a pair to side B, the album would play in sequence.

All the best.

Hello Ed.

Remember those record players where you'd put two or more disc together and they will drop and play in sequence?

If you listen to sides A of both albums and turn them as a pair to side B, the album would play in sequence.

All the best.

yep! :)

I still see those old changers and their dildo-like 45 adapters at flea markets on occasion...but I gave up on those as soon as I bought my very own first real turntable, which was around 1970. Records are really meant to be played on their own, one at a time, not having to worry about a friend jumping down on them and scuffing 'em to death....:D

No, but the first phonograph I ever used--my parents' furniture-styled phono/AM radio/bar (!, Really!)--had one of those adapter beasts. They came in various colors--black, silver, gold, bronze, etc.--and were metal (later models were, ahem, plastic) and for a young kid, quite heavy to remove so as to play Lp's.

For 45's, I preferred those old yellow 45 adapter bits of plastic you forced into each 45. Easily removable (some cracked even easier) and precluded the need for the long adapter needed for a stack of 45's to be played automatically.

Not that this has anything to do with the thread, but what they hey, it's a quiet Saturday here....:D

I can't say I like the mix on this album. It seems like the stereo mix just turned sideways. Unless my tapes are wonky and have a channel error - which, now that I think about it - wouldn't be a first for a Warner. My Black Sabbath tape and Graham Central Station both have the "fronts" on the left sides. Hmmm...

I have two copies of the CD-4 LPs. Enjoy all the songs. Sound quality is good but they are both a little hissy. Tape noise? Seems more evident on the live tracks. Gave it an "8".

I have the Japanese CD-4 LP (CD4W-7117) and I'm currently in the process of doing a DTS conversion. The mix is great...guitars pop up in the corners and lots of other discrete elements are featured. As some have noted "Mountain Jam" seems a bit overlong but the musicianship is so good it's hard to complain

The QRs sound fantastic. The mix is mostly static but interesting enough to enjoy. Electric guitars in front right and rear left, acoustic in front left, drummers split between sides and mostly opposite the electric guitars. Comes together pretty nicely. The fade-out and fade-in halfway through the full Mountain Jam Tape was pretty disappointing. The sound quality and content still make this essential. 9

Is it just me or does the CD-4 of this seem to run a bit slow? I've listened to this album many times mostly from the 2004 SACD and I recently got a copy of the CD-4 and almost immediately when I started playing it something seemed off and increasing the speed of my turntable about 2% seemed to fix it. I haven't done a direct comparison with the SACD yet so maybe I am just crazy but it definitely seems to be slower than I remember the SACD being.

Back