HiRez Poll Allman Brothers - EAT A PEACH [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Allman Brothers - EAT A PEACH

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
From Universal: Comments and Observations Please.......(y) (n)

R-3977482-1351177367-5268.jpeg.jpg

R-3977482-1367592716-2017.jpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the original quad from Reel and I really like it a lot. Though the mixes are not the same between SACD and the DTS conversion, I find the SACD to be really nice and I like both the mix and the excellent sound quality. It's a keeper for me...I give it an 8 cuz it's got a good beat and its easy to dance to.

An '8'...could have been a less busy and more discrete mix, IMO, but still, like FILLMORE, very vivid sound. Like that one, knowing the Quad mix so well doesn't make listening to this remix easier, of course; but "Little Martha" sounds so immediate and delicate, well.....a heart-melter.

ED :)

Similar to my feelings on the DSOTM surround mixes, I think the historical surround mix of "Eat A Peach" is much better than the curent offering. However, the current offering, on its own, is incredible. Still, I cannot ignore history. This one could have been so much better, but a 7 ain't too shabby, eh?

A classic Allman Brothers LP, this sacd sounds great and is well mixed. But it doesn't stand out as anything special. The "Blue Sky" and "Little Martha" cuts are excellent. :)

kumquad

I have never owned much in the way of the Allman Brothers, but I decided to pick this one up. I like it, the wife likes it, hey what more do you want. The surround mix is smooth and I don't recall hearing anything over the top or out of place. I remember likeing the mix. I will rate it an 8 as well.

I've not heard the original quad mix, but am liking this SACD. Not a wild surround mix, more of a 'spread out' effect and the degree to which that's the case varies from track to track. A classic album and a good surround mix, well worth having... since I can't vote 8-1/2, I hereby slide it down a half-notch to 8.

Mark Z

An "8".

I've never heard the Quad mix but I imagine it's more defined and discrete than this, which I'd love.

Meantime I'm more than happy with this, it sounds great, the mix isn't all bells and whistles but stuff is happening all around me. oh and thankfully the music is just my cup of tea too!

An "8".

I've never heard the Quad mix but I imagine it's more defined and discrete than this, which I'd love.

Meantime I'm more than happy with this, it sounds great, the mix isn't all bells and whistles but stuff is happening all around me. oh and thankfully the music is just my cup of tea too!

My feelings as well. It's a great album and the mix isn't bad but there's definitely room for improvement (particularly on the studio tracks). I'd be curious to hear the original quad. It would appear most folks prefer that mix over the SACD. An 8 for me.

Did you know 45 years ago today, Eat A Peach was released? Time flys. This is one of those surround discs that are dull on some tracks and great on others. I'm going to do a full listen now before I vote, as so far I am torn.
I like others are waiting for the Blu Ray set like the others, I have faith it will arrive maybe even this year.

I just voted a 10. Why, a classic, a must have. A super fine surround mix on all tracks except track 1. Dickey always right, Duane always left, Butch right , Jaimo left, Barry and Gregg, mostly center. Center channel is weak, more fitting for a quad sound. Mostly guitars rear, but sometimes front. Mountain Jam is the standout track. Quite a different mix than the At Fillmore East Blu Ray, I like this better, more discrete with the instruments. When the new Blu Ray set is released it will be fun to compare, but I have no problem with this disc that I know so intimately from my youth. I am not new to surround discs, but I am new to QQ and all the Polls. I try to be objective on discs that I love, but this still gets a big surround sound 10.

I just voted a 10. Why, a classic, a must have. A super fine surround mix on all tracks except track 1. Dickey always right, Duane always left, Butch right , Jaimo left, Barry and Gregg, mostly center. Center channel is weak, more fitting for a quad sound. Mostly guitars rear, but sometimes front. Mountain Jam is the standout track. Quite a different mix than the At Fillmore East Blu Ray, I like this better, more discrete with the instruments. When the new Blu Ray set is released it will be fun to compare, but I have no problem with this disc that I know so intimately from my youth. I am not new to surround discs, but I am new to QQ and all the Polls. I try to be objective on discs that I love, but this still gets a big surround sound 10.
I agree mountain jam jams im voting an 8

had recourse to revisit this one after a good few years of it sitting on the shelf, after QQ member Bill Mac posted about it over on SHTV, saying the Surround SACD wasn't very good. well, in a nutshell he is right! it isn't!

i've been pulling this mix apart for the last wee while this afternoon and frankly i'm ready to eat my hat as i used to defend this disc, the truth is; it is room ambience double stereo balls!!

sound quality is good and the mix craftily fools you into thinking stuff is popping up "back there" but its not. all that same Rear channel content is in the Front channels only its all 'louder' upfront and with the lead vocals mixed more prominently in the Front pair than the Rears.

ugh. downgraded from a generous "8" to a begrudging "4".

is that "progress"..? well its disappointing in a way because musically and with regard to sound quality i like this disc but i guess i learned a thing or two about what makes a good multichannel mix the last few years! 🤷‍♀️

had recourse to revisit this one after a good few years of it sitting on the shelf, after QQ member Bill Mac posted about it over on SHTV, saying the Surround SACD wasn't very good. well, in a nutshell he is right! it isn't!

i've been pulling this mix apart for the last wee while this afternoon and frankly i'm ready to eat my hat as i used to defend this disc, the truth is; it is room ambience double stereo balls!!

sound quality is good and the mix craftily fools you into thinking stuff is popping up "back there" but its not. all that same Rear channel content is in the Front channels only its all 'louder' upfront and with the lead vocals mixed more prominently in the Front pair than the Rears.

ugh. downgraded from a generous "8" to a begrudging "4".

is that "progress"..? well its disappointing in a way because musically and with regard to sound quality i like this disc but i guess i learned a thing or two about what makes a good multichannel mix the last few years! 🤷‍♀️
I feel the same way about this one Adam, a big disappointment, but a 4 may be a little harsh don't ya thinks or maybe not :unsure:

I feel the same way about this one Adam, a big disappointment, but a 4 may be a little harsh don't ya thinks or maybe not :unsure:

yeah, possibly Mister Pupster.., i was going to revise it to a "5" or "6".. but then i got a bit miffed at the feeling of having been hoodwinked into thinking this was decent 5.1 all those years, when its really half-assed. it may even be a lousy / unsuccessful attempt at a "Kind Of Blue" kind of concoction from the Stereo, scrutinizing the individual channels its got a room ambiencey feel to the Rears.. only i can't be so forgiving to a 1973 album as i can to a Surround-y representation of a Miles Davis record derived from a 3-channel 1959 recording. maybe multitracks were missing and they had to fudge it? in which case they shouldn't have bothered imho (or at least mentioned it somewhere). forewarned is forearmed and all that 🙂

Have you heard the quad mix? It's more interesting than this, but still not exactly jaw-dropping.

I wish they'd get Kevin Reeves to remix the entire Allman Bros catalog to surround - his 5.1 of Idlewild South is a slam-dunk, IMO.

I have the original quad from Reel and I really like it a lot. Though the mixes are not the same between SACD and the DTS conversion, I find the SACD to be really nice and I like both the mix and the excellent sound quality. It's a keeper for me...I give it an 8 cuz it's got a good beat and its easy to dance to.
I bet the Quad Reel sounds nice; and the thought of Bob cuttin' the rug... well Priceless!

Back