HiRez Poll Allman Brothers - IDLEWILD SOUTH [BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of the Allman Brothers - IDLEWILD SOUTH

• Total voters
Been listening to Santana debut album and it made me listen to Idlewild South again. I am not knocking the debut album but for for surround sound give me Idlewild South. Yes I posted this here on purpose. Still a 10 from me for Idlewild South and I did not think much of Idlewild when it came out. I preferred Santanas' debut album. Shows what time can do.
The surround here is what I enjoy the most. More interesting is that I enjoy the Idlewild music more than ever before.

I can't believe anyone would give this a 5. The surround mix is incredible, undertaken with great care. Not with If I Could Only Remember My Name care, but care nonetheless. I give it a 10. You get some really great bonus material, much of which has been mixed in 5.1 along with the album. That's how I like it. In fact, the alternate version of "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" (on of the THE great instrumental rock tracks of all time) is, IMHO even better than the original. But what really knocks this set out of the park is the remastered "Live at Ludlow Garage". Now it is complete with the addition of the aforementioned tune, which appears with a 45+ min. "Mountain Jam". WHAT??? Sounds way better than the crappy double CD that came out in the 90s. I mean it's cleaned up and mean and lean. This version of "Mountain Jam" tops the Fillmore version IMHO, at least with respect to the performance. Obviously the sound quality is nowhere near as good as that. But for a show that happened before their prime and one that finds them hungry and on fire, now sounding as good as it has and perhaps as good as it will ever sound, you can't beat this set if you're a fan of the Allman Brothers Band. It's their only album on surround. Now what about the debut? Brothers and Sisters?

Back