Almost 40 year's delay!!! Berliner Philarmoniker claims THE ULTIMATE on LP!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Well well well...
As much as I liked (and as good as it is!) the Beethoven Symphonies BD conducted by Simon Rattle, someone should inform the Berliner Philarmoniker that DIRECT TO DISC technology is about 40 years old!!! (or older..someone help me out here)

Check out the blurb for his Brahms Symphonies box...OK, signed and numbered but ONLY(?) 499 EUROS for 6 LPs!!!!

Man, that Pink Floyd box has done some damage!!!

I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a VERY purrrty box...but 500 Euros is a little bit too much, methinks...

It's the earliest way of recording to disc.

Brave though: no edits! You make a big enough mistake and the side has to be recorded again from, ahem, scratch. I would imagine there was more than one cutting lathe per side too to avoid material faults and/or cutting errors.

EDIT: Well I imagine incorrectly. According to the video, just one cutting lathe! Wow.

You think this is bad, have you seen the new Acoustic Sounds catalog? They are releasing 12 new deluxe "reissues" on reel to reel tape! :cool: Then you see that each one is priced at $450! But......they have a subscription plan for the lesser deep pockets.

You think this is bad, have you seen the new Acoustic Sounds catalog? They are releasing 12 new deluxe "reissues" on reel to reel tape! :cool: Then you see that each one is priced at $450! But......they have a subscription plan for the lesser deep pockets.

R2R????

Cooollllll...

but , alas, at THAT price, well.....NO!

unless it's 15 ips...then, but don't get your hopes up!

and, anyway...is R2R coming back like vinyl????

Back