Quad LP/Tape Poll Alpert, Herb, & The Tijuana Brass: Whipped Cream & Other Delights [Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate 'Whipped Cream'

• 10: Great sound, mix, content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Sux

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
The million-seller from 1965.

Program 1:

A Taste of Honey
Green Peppers
Tangerine
Bittersweet Samba
Lemon Tree
Whipped Cream

Program 2:

Love Potion #9
El Garbanzo
Ladyfingers
Butterball
Peanuts
Lollipops and Roses

Alpert Whipped Q8.jpg

ED :)

8. Mix is nothing special. Music is spectacular, although I prefer most other TJB albums to this one. Yet, musically, I would score this an 11. I'd give the mix a 5 at best.

I've met Herb several times and he is one of the most cordial, sweetest people I've ever met.

Seeing as how these all come from 3 track, they did the best they could with what they had. Much better than the Greatest Hits album. 5.

Sadly, there were two TJB albums mixed for Quad and planned as CD-4 releases that never saw the light of day. They are the SPECTACULAR You Smile, the Song Begins and the above average Coney Island. Neither sold well. You Smile is long OOP and has never been released on CD to my knowledge. Many of its' tracks are available on the Lost Treasures CD compilation.

z329.jpg
41VfI42gEoL._SL500_SS500_.jpg
0000611966_500.jpg

Yup, like most people I bought it for the cover picture and actually grew to really like the music. This is one of my favorite quads to listen to when I'm trying to do something at the same time. I'd give it an 8.

ken

By 1970 the TJB sales were falling--fast and steady, though that only meant from the phenomenal peak of 1965-68 to modest sales from 1969-74. Why Herb hasn't reissued the entire TJB catalog is a mystery, since his core fans will buy any of those titles, and his solo work, too. And a mono TJB box--with the 45 hit versions included--would be manna for his fans, but not likely to happen, alas.

One of the iconic album covers of the '60s, and I would argue, in the same league as MEET THE BEATLES or THE DOORS, but not notorious as, say, the original ELECTRIC LADYLAND or BLIND FAITH covers. Still, fairly bold for 1965, and didn't hurt the commercial juggernaut that would become the TJB. Of course it was notably parodied by the (now) forgotten comedian Pat Cooper:

Cooper.jpg

I had both Herb Alpert Q8's and always preferred the Greatest Hits mixes. They were sort of fake, but just about everything sounded like it was in a bull ring.

But of course today anyone who does upmixes can do a much better job than A&M did, and they had the original tapes! Most of that stuff should be 3-track at the least. Not really conducive to quad, but some of the later albums might have worked out better. They really should have picked albums the were workable in quad, like the '70s stuff.

I was just researching this. I previously had no idea "Whipped" was ever in quad. The cover was 100% wall to wall cerebral sensurround for every adolescent male Trumpet player on the planet. If anybody has a transcribed file of it...please PM me. TIA...

Last edited:
Back