IMPORTANT Alphabetical Index of All Quad LP/Tape Polls

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks @HomerJAU for sorting this out - it looks great.

The idea for this list came about from a discussion in the mod forum about adding more polls to this section. In looking around here, I discovered that there's something like 439 total poll threads, but only 154 of them have reached the 6 vote threshold to appear in the Quad LP and Tape Surround Polls, meaning that there are about 285 other polls that are languishing in obscurity in this forum, many of them with no votes at all.

As a result, the problem becomes that the more new poll threads get created, the further down the list the older, less visible poll threads get pushed - and since they don't show up in the Surround Polls chart, it's like a vicious circle where they're penalized with further obscurity by being obscure in the first place. Case in point, the very last post in this forum is a poll for Al Green's Greatest Hits Q8/QR - hardly an obscure one (in terms of brand-name recognition) but it only has three (!) votes, and the last activity on the thread is circa 2005, some 15 years ago.

So my hope with the alphabetical list of polls is that it'll encourage people to get more involved with this section, without the bias of poll thread creation date and/or low visibility hiding some of these lesser-known titles in the bowels of QQ. I think the poll section here is one of QQ's greatest assets - not just for us to exchange information and find great mixes, but also to fly the flag for all of this stuff, and remind the major labels that own the rights to it that there still is interest in it. I'm not saying that casting a "10" vote is going to immediately result in your favourite major label or boutique quad ressiue label putting out a Blu-Ray or SACD of the title you voted for, but you never know who's watching, especially since when you Google for any album title + quadraphonic you're guaranteed to get something from QQ in the first page of search results. So if you're reading this (freaky if you got this far to quote a disgruntled Van Morrison) please have a click of the link in the first post and show some love to some of the poll threads, especially the ones with 0-5 votes - I just gave my favourite soft-rock masterpiece, David Gates's First, a 10.

To that end, I'd like to nominate a few of my QQ friends, knowledgable posters, and one bitter enemy (you'll never know which is which, muahaha) to vote on some of these polls - say 5 or 10, or however many interest you, this should be fun and not work. After you've voted, I'd then ask that you inturn nominate one or two people to do the same.

@fredblue @sjcorne @J. PUPSTER @humprof @Q-Eight @ArmyOfQuad @JonUrban @Clement @skherbeck @rawmacias

The idea for this list came about from a discussion in the mod forum about adding more polls to this section. In looking around here, I discovered that there's something like 439 total poll threads, but only 154 of them have reached the 6 vote threshold to appear in the Quad LP and Tape Surround Polls, meaning that there are about 285 other polls that are languishing in obscurity in this forum, many of them with no votes at all.

As a result, the problem becomes that the more new poll threads get created, the further down the list the older, less visible poll threads get pushed - and since they don't show up in the Surround Polls chart, it's like a vicious circle where they're penalized with further obscurity by being obscure in the first place. Case in point, the very last post in this forum is a poll for Al Green's Greatest Hits Q8/QR - hardly an obscure one (in terms of brand-name recognition) but it only has three (!) votes, and the last activity on the thread is circa 2005, some 15 years ago.

So my hope with the alphabetical list of polls is that it'll encourage people to get more involved with this section, without the bias of poll thread creation date and/or low visibility hiding some of these lesser-known titles in the bowels of QQ. I think the poll section here is one of QQ's greatest assets - not just for us to exchange information and find great mixes, but also to fly the flag for all of this stuff, and remind the major labels that own the rights to it that there still is interest in it. I'm not saying that casting a "10" vote is going to immediately result in your favourite major label or boutique quad ressiue label putting out a Blu-Ray or SACD of the title you voted for, but you never know who's watching, especially since when you Google for any album title + quadraphonic you're guaranteed to get something from QQ in the first page of search results. So if you're reading this (freaky if you got this far to quote a disgruntled Van Morrison) please have a click of the link in the first post and show some love to some of the poll threads, especially the ones with 0-5 votes - I just gave my favourite soft-rock masterpiece, David Gates's First, a 10.

To that end, I'd like to nominate a few of my QQ friends, knowledgable posters, and one bitter enemy (you'll never know which is which, muahaha) to vote on some of these polls - say 5 or 10, or however many interest you, this should be fun and not work. After you've voted, I'd then ask that you inturn nominate one or two people to do the same.

@fredblue @sjcorne @J. PUPSTER @humprof @Q-Eight @ArmyOfQuad @JonUrban @Clement @skherbeck @rawmacias
Wow--now this is a brilliant idea! I SO wish I were able to help out here (notice how I dropped right into the subjunctive mood there?); sadly, I am solely digital ☹ . . . perhaps when da rona daze are a thing of the past, one of you can invite me over for an analog listening party . . . unless i'm the bitter enemy . . . muahaha Stay Surrounded, Comrades
EDIT: thanks to @humprof thinking out of the box, i realize that i CAN be of service here (silly me--I even played Blanche DuBois in a community theatre production back in the late 70s . . . or maybe that was some brown acid . . . :poop:)! if the @humprof fix works, please keep me in mind. During deez Rona daze, i'm basically in a fetal tuck in the ol' sweet spot hoping music will rescue me sick muse. And although some of my biological, psychological, and spiritual systems are shutting down, i can still listen and write . . . for now. Thanks for all you all do. Peace

Last edited:

You know, the "not work" part is hard for me; but I'll endeavor to get a roll on. It is something that needs our attention, that's for certain.
Just got this one in a month ago (QS-LP); and haven't even listened yet (and no votes, reviews...) think I'll go for it!
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/koloc-bonnie-after-all-this-time-qs-q8-qr.9783/

Last edited:

This is homework I can handle, I think--as long as it's not cheating to vote on the basis of conversions. Like @Clement, I'm all digital. But like Blanche DuBois, I have long depended on the kindness of strangers--some of whom have since become friends, unless they're secretly bitter enemies--to hear old mixes on my modern system. A worthy rescue mission, Dave.

P.S.: Now I have to track down that David Gates album...

@Clement @humprof Yes, conversions are absolutely fair game for review/voting purposes! I'm exclusively digital too, so that's how I listen to all my legacy stuff - given the advances in noise reduction, EQ and other home remastering tools, I think a lot of us listen that way, even when we have analog capability, especially given the expense and fragility of some of these old tapes.

I'll never forget one of the first Q8's I got, Buddy Rich's Greatest Hits - I had opened the cartridge up to play it on my newly-modified Fostex, and when I was trying to get the reel of tape back in to the cart, I dropped the whole thing on the floor and it unspooled in a great big mess. At first my heart sank because I thought I'd totally ruined the tape, but I ended up being able to rescue it at no small cost to my sanity, painstakingly winding the tape back on to the hub by hand. Two hours later I finally finished, and what I lost in time that evening I definitely gained in appreciation for the convenience of digital conversions!

Thanks to Garry, Jon & Dave for creating new polls. I've been combing my collection for glaring omissions in the Legacy Polls. A few personal favorites, too. Besides the new polls created by us in the last couple weeks, we'll all be adding more soon.

I'll be adding these:

Hand Made - Passport German & Japan CD-4
Four Wheel Drive - BTO Q8
Roar of '74 - Buddy Rich Q8/QR
Push Push - Herbie Mann w/Duane Allman Q8
Turnstyles - Billy Joel SQ
Dirty Double Mother - Roosevelt Sykes QS
Babe Ruth Q8
Barry Manilow II CD-4/Q8
Deliver the Word - War Q8
Love, Devotion & Surrender - Santana/Mahavishnu SQ/Q8

Okay--I got a little, uh, carried away doing my homework. But it was indeed fun and not work: I got to spend time giving proper listens to a bunch of things sitting on my hard drive and a bunch more I'd never checked out.

So, as for nominees: I think @Beefalo and @The56Kid have already started going to the polls (as they used to say in the Windy City: vote early and often!), so I'm gonna start by tagging @beerking and @watsontr. I would just add to Dave's exhortation upthread that if you're a person of few words, there's no need to wring your hands about (not) having something eloquent or long-winded to say. In fact, there's no obligation to write anything, though I think people are generally curious to hear why others voted the way they voted. In any case: hope to see more people help rescue these old quads from the shadows.

Last edited:
Ooh I've been tagged!! 📣😊
I certainly will, wholeheartedly, look at my, currently, all digital collection and give this some considered input.
Especially, as I am guilty of highlighting the omissions of recent releases, in poll threads..😎.

Posting in POLLs: [more formal announcement discussed by moderators but in the meantime...]
Please be advised that members have pointed out how many posts in POLL threads are about shipping or other details that are NOT about the album in question. We know it's really easy to forget but it's getting worse instead of better. I really question the value of keeping 6+ month old posts like these but will be moving them into this Surround Sound - Non-Specific Format Discussion area until something better occurs to me.

Before posting something in POLL threads, ask yourself if it's going to be about the actual album content/quality that future readers can benefit from in a purchase situation. If it's not, please find somewhere else to post it or consider Bill Bruford's credit on the SABB track Trio: Admirable Restraint. Thank you on behalf of the moderators working to improve everyone's POLL experience.

Back