AM/FM tuner prices

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

LuvMyQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I'll be changing out my Pre/Pro soon. The one that is coming doesn't have an AM/FM tuner. Its not that I use that feature much anymore, though sometimes I do like to run the local AM play by play for football games instead of the TV announcers. Anyway I thought I'd have a look at what used tuners are going for on eBay these days.

I'm amazed at how cheap they are. Sony, Adcom, Parasound, Denon, Carvers, H-K, NAD, Rotel, and more are available. All for under $100. Many for under $50 and some even less. Prestige and collectable brands like Mcintosh and Marantz, tube gear, etc can go for thousands, sure, but run of the mill tuners go for a pittance.

Times have changed. I guess if you want to listen to radio there are plenty of other ways to do it beside having an actual tuner. I can already do it now using my media player.

gene_stl

600 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
The new ones you refer to are probably mostly systems on a chip, with DSP and phase lock loops. The classic ones have analog hi frequency circuits.
None of the classic ones can play Hybrid Digital.

LuvMyQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
The new ones you refer to are probably mostly systems on a chip, with DSP and phase lock loops. The classic ones have analog hi frequency circuits.
None of the classic ones can play Hybrid Digital.
None of them are new, all are likely from the 80s, 90s, maybe early 2000s. But all are digital, so likely chip based as you suggested. None play digital. The older ones with discreet components are collectors items.

I'm not even sure if audio companies even make standard tuners any more. If so ill bet they are very few.

hobie1dog

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Same songs, decade after decade, what they call new songs are lacking in good melodies, filling with an ever increasing amount of commercials, music highly compressed, no wonder they are decreasing in popularity and value.

LuvMyQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Of the entire list i gave in the 1st post, only NAD still makes one ($500).

I feel old.