AM/FM tuner prices

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuvMyQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I'll be changing out my Pre/Pro soon. The one that is coming doesn't have an AM/FM tuner. Its not that I use that feature much anymore, though sometimes I do like to run the local AM play by play for football games instead of the TV announcers. Anyway I thought I'd have a look at what used tuners are going for on eBay these days.

I'm amazed at how cheap they are. Sony, Adcom, Parasound, Denon, Carvers, H-K, NAD, Rotel, and more are available. All for under $100. Many for under $50 and some even less. Prestige and collectable brands like Mcintosh and Marantz, tube gear, etc can go for thousands, sure, but run of the mill tuners go for a pittance.

Times have changed. I guess if you want to listen to radio there are plenty of other ways to do it beside having an actual tuner. I can already do it now using my media player.

The new ones you refer to are probably mostly systems on a chip, with DSP and phase lock loops. The classic ones have analog hi frequency circuits.
None of the classic ones can play Hybrid Digital.

The new ones you refer to are probably mostly systems on a chip, with DSP and phase lock loops. The classic ones have analog hi frequency circuits.
None of the classic ones can play Hybrid Digital.
None of them are new, all are likely from the 80s, 90s, maybe early 2000s. But all are digital, so likely chip based as you suggested. None play digital. The older ones with discreet components are collectors items.

I'm not even sure if audio companies even make standard tuners any more. If so ill bet they are very few.

Same songs, decade after decade, what they call new songs are lacking in good melodies, filling with an ever increasing amount of commercials, music highly compressed, no wonder they are decreasing in popularity and value.

Rotel, Mcintosh Nad Pyle Yamaha and more then 20 or so lesser known brands make AM/FM analog on air / cable tuners. Some got also Sirius or DAB added build in. But folks tend to forget it is a real 2channel and surround receiver market nowadays. Seperatds dxept for poweramps are in some markets hardly been sold at the moment. But remember AM/FM analog radio is thriving everywhere. And the analog on air / cable capable tuners then? Well they are for the mayority of cases build in your stereo and surround receivers, streamers and car radio's and portables and (smart)phones and some laptops and tablets even! And not in a seperate format like a dedicated analog tuner. But all in one type gear is lesser fun then a classic seperates stack. But that's a matter of taste. The bulk of consumers want stereo or surround receivers with analog on air / cable tuner build in! Thats just the current 'hifi' market! Supply / demand.

I use seperates and have done for many years. I don't own a tuner any more cause there's very little I want to listen to around here.šŸ˜ž

https://electronics.sony.com/audio/boomboxes-radio/all-boomboxes-radio/p/cfds70blk
I bought several of these for the stereo cassette section, but it's an inexpensive way to get a digital AM/stereo FM radio (I sometimes listen to talk radio on an AM station or the related FM translator station, sound quality is good).

W/headphone output to audio system line in, it works as a home AM/FM tuner also.

Kirk Bayne

I recently sold my 'vintage' (1990's) Rotel tuner (unfortunately I can't get radio reception in my rural area) and it sold for about $80. It took weeks on Ebay for someone to make the purchase - clearly not an item in demand!

Actually, we relocated to our place upstate since the pandemic, Delaware County. I'm in a valley with no cell signal, no broadband (had to get a dish) and no radio! But it is beautiful :D

Back