Am I done ripping SACD's ? Pioneer BDP-80FD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuvMyQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I've had a Pioneer BDP-80FD for a few years now. It resides in my bedroom. I bought it exclusively to rip SACDs, as a cheaper alternative to an Oppo 103. I can count on one hand the number of times I've used it to do anything other than rip disks. So much so that it isn't even connected to a TV.

I was re-organizing my bedroom system (stereo only) and needed a video source so I tried to play a disc on it yesterday. I couldn't get the drawer to open. It tried, but kept getting jammed. This happened once before, but the drawer eventually did un-jam itself and opened. Not so this time.

I opened it to see if there was an easy fix. Not so. The disk mechanism kept getting hung up. I tracked it down to a plastic pulley and a belt loose and rolling around inside. Not good. The disc loader seems to have just disintegrated. As I looked at it I kept thinking what I've always thought of it. What a cheap piece of crap it was. And carrying an ELITE badge no less. What a joke. No offence if you use one of these.... but its truly a POS build wise.

Anyway, I began to think of how I might replace it. And even do I need to replace it.

All the SACDs I own are ripped, maybe 75? That should give you some indication of the actual hours that were put on the played since it was purchased. I don't plan on buying any additional OOP SACDs, as I have already collected everything I can think of that I want. I can still play the actual disks on an Oppo BDP-83SE in the main system, but I haven't actually played anything without video in years. I don't buy stereo only SACDs. So I only have to worry about MCH SACD purchases going forward. It seems the only one left in the game is Dutton. And of those, all I care about is the pop/rock stuff. No jazz. No classical, no easy listening. I would also bet that should I need the occasional SACD ripped, there are plenty of friends on the forum here that would perform that duty for me.

So is it worth going through the trouble of finding and buying another rip-capable player? There just doesn't seem to be any value in it for me.

Last edited:
It does not sound like it. Knowing how I am, I'd throw a Sony BDP-S6500 or something else from the SACD list on your eBay watch list and if one comes up cheap...then you get to make a choice.
I did look for another Pioneer. Apparently the ripping capability has made it more valuable. A used one is considerably more than I paid for the new one that failed. $400 for one that works, and nearly $200 for untested, broken, and incomplete units. I think I paid $170 new.

The used Sony's are less costly though.... hmmmm.

I'm thinking... how many more SACDs am I ever going to need to rip? 10 maybe? 20? 30? Its like asking how long i'm expecting to live.

It does not sound like it. Knowing how I am, I'd throw a Sony BDP-S6500 or something else from the SACD list on your eBay watch list and if one comes up cheap...then you get to make a choice.
OK . Ya turned me. I have a used Sony BDP-5100 on the way..... $40. I didnt realize they got that cheap.

That's what I'm using, cheap as 'ell (and as light as a feather; but it works good so far with dozens of SACDs in the bag!) That's all I use mine for- Rippidty doo dah!!! :hi

Re-read this thread for a refresher only 35 pages.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/sony-blu-ray-players-used-for-sacd-ripping.26078/
Same story for me. $35 Sony just for ripping SACD. My biggest joy is that it rip's SACD-R when no Sony would play them and Sony made company's like Oppo remove the ability to play them. It just makes me want to laugh sometimes, how the world turns.

Definitely track down a Sony if you can. I paid Ā£30 over here for a BDP-S4100 and itā€™s ripped all my collection perfectly. Itā€™s a nice, cheap option for backing up anything Dutton Vocalion care to push our way in the coming weeks/months/years šŸ¤žšŸ»šŸ¤žšŸ»

I still wonder.... how many SACD's will I end up ripping from now till the end of my days. I'm 63. My guess is, less than a dozen. Maybe I'll come back to this thread in a few years and update it (hopefully).

Last edited:
I still wonder.... how many SACD's will I end up ripping from now till the end of my days. I'm 63. My guess is, less than a dozen. Maybe I'll come back to this thread in a few years and update it (hopefully).

you need to find a local audiophile friend and lend each other SACDs.....then you'll be ripping a lot more

And thereā€™s always the library. These two today
A1F5ADD4-EB26-4B3A-836A-B0253D086D59.jpeg

Back