Amazing quality for Sansui QRX and QS!!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucanu

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Cabras, Sardinia, Italy, Europe, World, Solar syst
Ok, I really don't know where to put this, I knew DPLII and QS had something in common, but now I am really astonished how my Sansui performs!!!!!

You are maybe thinking that I didn't find anything new in all this, but to prove what I'm talking about you Sansui QRX-*001 guys have to try this:

I was searching for 5.1 samples to download and I've found this nice link
http://www.kellyindustries.com/sounds.html

here you can download 3 samples in various formats DTS, AC3, uncompressed 5.1 and DPLII encoded.

I downloaded the DTS demo file called Rave Wave (which is very good surround sample) and its DPLII version.
I thought QS is good for DPLII decoding so I make a comparison between DTS discrete version Vs DPLII thru my Sansui

The results are IMPRESSIVE I couldn't tell the difference!!!!!! :eek:

I panpotted everything only on the rear channels to hear exactly how it performs and what there should play, both DTS and DPLII and what I heard was almost the same!!!

:D:smokin

it is something strange with Internet Explorer on my machine, I used Firefox and all was ok, wierd.

Malcolm

Luca,
Yes PLII does a great job with QS encoded stuff, however, it pales in comparison to the Sansui vario-matrix when it comes to synthesizing quad from stereo sources from my experience.

Rick

Rick, completely agree
in fact I was referring to the fact that Sansui decodes DPLII source better than DPLII actual decoders
In the link I posted above they say that: "Pro Logic II still has trouble with multiple sound sources panning simultaneously. Its main improvements are sound quality and the ability to pan between the left and right rear channels"
while Sansui Variomatrix QS decoders do a great job decoding the DPLII matrix source, playing back as if it was discrete!

Hi,
I still use my Sansui QRX 7001 as main amplifer. I constructed a preamplifer output using broadcasting equipment.
The QRX 7001 has an option to turn off the power amps. I use activ powered studio montitors - old Greman studio equipment - to enjoy listening to Quad.
I am still greatly satisfied with QS Vario Matrix.
I recommend everybody to get a hold of an QRX x001 series, or QS Sansui QSD x series to be able to turn stereo in Quad - it most cases with outstanding results.
Best regards Timm

Last edited:
How well do Sansui QS decoders work with other matrix formats such as SQ or ProLogic (I)?

I can tell you about SQ (I haven't tested with DPLI)
It has a front/rear logic (half-logic) which is perfect for QS material, not enough for SQ. Sansui gives you a good quad imaging in SQ but when a sound comes, for example, only from left front it does play in the rears too because SQ is a different beast and it needs full logic separation which is achievable only by a few decoders such as Tate II, Lafayette SQ-W.

Back