Amazon Echo Studio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty much any PC with (I believe) HDMI 2.0 or better can bitstream Atmos to a capable receiver - that's what I do with my NUC. If you're set up this way and have Win 10 you can download the Dolby Access app which allows you to test your setup and play back a bunch of Atmos demonstration videos. It makes it seem like you need to pay $14.99 for the app but that's not the case - the only thing that paying for the app unlocks is Atmos headphone decoding, it's free if you just want to bitstream Atmos to a receiver.

I can confirm this: I actually got the the Atmos version of John Luther Adams's Become Desert from Acoustic Sounds (where it's sold as an mp4 download), and when I send it via HDMI from my Windows 10 laptop to my Marantz AVR, the receiver reads it--and plays it--as Atmos.

I'm sure that sooner rather than later Amazon Music/Tidal etc. will roll out updates to their streaming software that allows you to bitstream this new Atmos music directly to your receiver, and then every HDMI 2.0 (and better) computer will be the Atmos-capable music player that you're looking for, which is why I think this is an exciting new development for the future of surround music.

I hope you're right about this, Dave--and I also hope that they won't only make these Atmos mixes available via their streaming services, but as affordable downloads, too. I don't want to rent the music; I want to own it!

Apparently, PotPlayer can play the Abbey Road Atmos mix in MKA/MKV but I have not been able to try it. I need to hook up a mouse on my Shield TV as PotPlayer is not TV compatible. Beck's Sea Change in DTS-X plays perfectly. I may try setting Kodi to use external player PotPlayer if Kodi can't get this to work, soon.

Pretty much any PC with (I believe) HDMI 2.0 or better can bitstream Atmos to a capable receiver - that's what I do with my NUC. If you're set up this way and have Win 10 you can download the Dolby Access app which allows you to test your setup and play back a bunch of Atmos demonstration videos. It makes it seem like you need to pay $14.99 for the app but that's not the case - the only thing that paying for the app unlocks is Atmos headphone decoding, it's free if you just want to bitstream Atmos to a receiver.

I'm sure that sooner rather than later Amazon Music/Tidal etc. will roll out updates to their streaming software that allows you to bitstream this new Atmos music directly to your receiver, and then every HDMI 2.0 (and better) computer will be the Atmos-capable music player that you're looking for, which is why I think this is an exciting new development for the future of surround music.
So in order to get this accomplished, (Atmos capability), sounds like you must have a newer receiver that can translate it and send it on to the speakers, at a minimum setup of 5.1.2?
If, the content comes, then I will follow; and if that means a new receiver for me (currently no HDMI) then itā€™ll be time for me to upgrade. Iā€™m hoping the flood of content happens this year; or else itā€™s going to be hard to convince me that this is all truly mainstream with market acceptance.

I guess what I was wanting is Atmos capability via an NUC/Win. 10 straight to some inexpensive amp. and satellite speakers; say for a home office/music room situation.

Last edited:
Iā€™m hoping the flood of content happens this year; or else itā€™s going to be hard to convince me that this is all truly mainstream with market acceptance.

I admit I'm not as up on the Atmos releases as much as others. However what I am aware of seems to be mainly re-releases of older material that has already been offered in 4.0/5.1 various formats. I don't know how long they can keep mining this stuff & the big question is will Atmos add much of anything to a classic quad recording? I have read plenty else where on the forum how the funny up pointing speakers are poor compared to real cieling mount speaks. And I know the Atmos track of Abbey Road is no where near as clean & detailed as the dts version when played through a convential 5.1 set up.

Whether it's cheap crap like the Amazon speaker or something much better, I just gotta say I'm dubious in so many ways about the advantage of Atmos.

I admit I'm not as up on the Atmos releases as much as others. However what I am aware of seems to be mainly re-releases of older material that has already been offered in 4.0/5.1 various formats. I don't know how long they can keep mining this stuff & the big question is will Atmos add much of anything to a classic quad recording? I have read plenty else where on the forum how the funny up pointing speakers are poor compared to real cieling mount speaks. And I know the Atmos track of Abbey Road is no where near as clean & detailed as the dts version when played through a convential 5.1 set up.

Whether it's cheap crap like the Amazon speaker or something much better, I just gotta say I'm dubious in so many ways about the advantage of Atmos.
I think Atmos can sound good with specific types of music. For instance Electronic music with plenty of tracks to work with. Max Cooper and Galvany Street are good examples.
I don't think older music with less tracks will benefit. They basically need to borrow content from the other channels. The impact is diluted.
I have a legitimate Atmos system but I prefer the Abbey Road 5.1 just for this reason.

The entire marketing of this must have been concieved by three orangutans, so frustrating that I cannot buy either Coldplay's Everyday Life or pre-order Pearl Jam's Gigaton in some physical form that lets me enjoy (hopefully) the Atmos mixes in my 5.2.4 set-up. I've harangued Dolby a few times about it on social media, they have recently responded that they are listening and considering other delivery avenues. You know...try marketing it to the people that are actually going to spend money on it!

The entire marketing of this must have been concieved by three orangutans, so frustrating that I cannot buy either Coldplay's Everyday Life or pre-order Pearl Jam's Gigaton in some physical form that lets me enjoy (hopefully) the Atmos mixes in my 5.2.4 set-up. I've harangued Dolby a few times about it on social media, they have recently responded that they are listening and considering other delivery avenues. You know...try marketing it to the people that are actually going to spend money on it!

Yep. Below is what I emailed to Tidal support. They at least replied that they are listening.

Thanks for the early support of Atmos music content.

Atmos on Tidal has been a hot topic of discussion where serious surround music fans and audiophiles gather.

We are anxiously awaiting further support on external Android devices such as the Nvidia Shield TV.

This particular Android device is perfectly positioned to deliver the first implementation of online Atmos music bitstreaming to true high fidelity systems.

The Nvidia Shield TV is the most popular Android based streaming device by a wide margin and there are millions in use delivering bitstreamed Atmos audio today from services such as Netflix, Amazon Video and Vudu.

There has been some dismay and confusion in the serious surround music and audiophile circles that the first support of online Atmos music was for a target audience who are decidedly not early adopters of surround music, ie those using music playback devices comprised of phones and speakers like the Amazon Echo rather than a traditional enthusiast audience who have been buying surround music content for 50 years for systems capable of true discrete playback and who seem more like the kind of customers who would pursue a Premium Tidal subscription.

It's worth noting that all bitstreaming of atmos audio from the aforementioned services has been in a lossy format which is another area you could take the lead in. IE lossless Atmos audio streaming like your current stereo offerings.

Hope you guys can make bitstreaming Dolby Atmos content to an external device a reality soon. This would make a big splash in the communities more likely to be your long term high end customers.

The real low tech. way, quoted from the article: šŸ˜„

"It's unclear, then, why the simpler, and more effective solution, is not offered for sale: that of a hammer." šŸ”Ø
Since we were talking about ultrasounds a vintage remote control.... I never had a Clapper. I had something else so obscure no description rings a bell on the Google Empire. It is best described as a squeezable hand operated dog whistle. It was a brown nubby horseshoe shaped bellows & at the open end of the horseshoe was a cheap plastic dog whistle. Squeeze it an out comes some ultrasonics. The wall plug in obviously responded to this & would alternately turn on or off like the Clapper.

Imagine my surprise when I was listening DSotM, the alarm clock part, when with no warning everthing shut down! Scared me half to death. And I lived in a 3rd floor walk up back then & at the street level was a door bell that connected to both a bell & buzzer in my apartment. Once someone rang the door bell & my system came on at full volume. That scared me almost all the way to death.

I once had a TV that had an Ultrasonic channel changer, when I couldn't find it, or more often than not too lazy to (I lived in a 1 room bedsit then!!) I discovered I could just jangle my keys and it changed channels.

DUNCAN: "PLAYBOY CHANNEL" Playboy Bunny

See the source image

Back