Ambient 5.1 suggestions?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The newest Kodomo "Divider" EP has some really lovely ambient songs on it.
https://quadaudio.bandcamp.com/merch/kodomo-divider-ep-quad-surround
Preview the EP audio here: https://kodomo.bandcamp.com/

Digital download formats include 5.1flac, 4-channel wav (24bit), .MP4 w/AC3 Dolby Digital, and a DVD-A .iso (burn to CDr for physical playback).

Enjoy!

Kodomo_Divider (Cover Art).jpg

I’ll just add two albums that are not mentioned before:

A) Artist: Ryuichi Sakamoto
Album: Async Surround
Format: Bluray Audio (stereo & multi)
This is a must have for ambient or electronic genre lovers!!!

B) Artist: Bass Communion
Album: Loss
Format: CD/DVD-A (stereo & multi)
Highly recommended! (Steven Wilson’s ambient project, he’s a guarantee! Just be aware of the album art, why? the thematic is old portraits of people with their deceased relatives.)

Enjoy!

Edit: Bass Communion already posted before (by me :giggle:) but here is another suggestion:
The new production by Schiller: Morgenstund, in glorious descreet Dolby Atmos! As time goes by, his music has become more into chillout. In fact I also recommend the previous album Atemlos, which is in DD 5.1 and includes 2 great special ambient tracks. Both mixes only available in the super deluxe edition versions.

Last edited:
This is a thread I had no idea existed.
I do enjoy ambient music and I already have a few of the albums listed.

But there are quite a few that I've never heard of and I have been busy searching out those without a crazy price tag, which, unfortunately, a couple have.

Many thanks to those who have contributed...

I will see if I can come up with a few more as well!!

Last edited:
For those looking for ambient 5.1 mixes I suggest checking out the Surround page on ambientblog.net : https://www.ambientblog.net/blog/the-surround-mix-versions/
It contains 35+ ambient mixes (almost 40 hours!) in DTS 5.1 format that can be downloaded for free. For each of these mixes, the original stereo version can be downloaded too, but it is worth noting that these DTS versions are not simply 'upmixes' from the stereo sources, but 'true surround' mixes created especially for maximum immersion.
Comments are welcome, of course!

The newest Kodomo "Divider" EP has some really lovely ambient songs on it.
https://quadaudio.bandcamp.com/merch/kodomo-divider-ep-quad-surround
Preview the EP audio here: kodomo

Digital download formats include 5.1flac, 4-channel wav (24bit), .MP4 w/AC3 Dolby Digital, and a DVD-A .iso (burn to CDr for physical playback).

Enjoy!

View attachment 30237

This is great! Quite a wide variety of music but all basically instrumental electronica. I'm not an electronica expert but it reminded me of FSOL and Tangerine Dream.
The mix is quad and discrete. There is also a bonus track from the Divider Remixes EP - a 26 min remix of a track from the original EP. This was remixed (in stereo) by @symbionproject for the remixes EP and is also in quad on this EP (though more minimal quad). So a 33 min EP + a 26 min remix, all in quad.

For those looking for ambient 5.1 mixes I suggest checking out the Surround page on ambientblog.net : Ambientblog Surround Mixes
It contains 35+ ambient mixes (almost 40 hours!) in DTS 5.1 format that can be downloaded for free. For each of these mixes, the original stereo version can be downloaded too, but it is worth noting that these DTS versions are not simply 'upmixes' from the stereo sources, but 'true surround' mixes created especially for maximum immersion.
Comments are welcome, of course!
Nice blog site, will partake in these thanks!
If you are the author of that site, can you recommend some good Funk surround also?

I see Bill Brent is involved there also ;)

What I do with my dts.wav files is open in Foobar2000 then convert to wav; open those in Audacity (if Quad and no Center &LFE) and add the silent center & LFE.) Or even easier in MMH program by @HomerJAU! Store on a SSD for playback.

🍻

And of course, there is now the new Stephen W Tayler, the two Giancarlo Era releases and the one with The Grid and Robert Fripp (which is especially great). All melodic and not hardcore ambient, if you know what I mean. The Bob Fripp one gets quite funky at times.

I'm pretty sure we're all up on these, but no one's mentioned them here, from what I can tell, so just thought I'd better do that! However, just let me know if you'd like details. :)

And of course, there is now the new Stephen W Tayler, the two Giancarlo Era releases and the one with The Grid and Robert Fripp (which is especially great). All melodic and not hardcore ambient, if you know what I mean. The Bob Fripp one gets quite funky at times.

I'm pretty sure we're all up on these, but no one's mentioned them here, from what I can tell, so just thought I'd better do that! However, just let me know if you'd like details. :)
Additional: The new Stephen W Tayler and the two Giancarlo Era releases are especially great too, of course! :) :) :)

Do you know where I could purchase a copy of the quad mix of Divider by Kodomo? Thanks,

Hello! Sorry to be absent from this conversation and some changes have been made to where I offer all the quad releases I've done over the years.
I've consolidated them all here: QUAD SUPER PACK, by Symbion Project, Kodomo, Black House Triangle

This link includes the quad releases for Arcadian, Wound Up by God or the Devil, and Misery in Soliloquy by Symbion Project, the Divider EP by Kodomo, and "Id Ego Superego (m)ORPH mix)" by Black House Triangle.

These releases are all electronic music in nature, ranging from ambient, experimental, techno, downtempo/synthpop.

Sorry again for broken links and hard to find info. Thanks for supporting the music I make!

kasson

Hello! Sorry to be absent from this conversation and some changes have been made to where I offer all the quad releases I've done over the years.
I've consolidated them all here: QUAD SUPER PACK, by Symbion Project, Kodomo, Black House Triangle

This link includes the quad releases for Arcadian, Wound Up by God or the Devil, and Misery in Soliloquy by Symbion Project, the Divider EP by Kodomo, and "Id Ego Superego (m)ORPH mix)" by Black House Triangle.

These releases are all electronic music in nature, ranging from ambient, experimental, techno, downtempo/synthpop.

Sorry again for broken links and hard to find info. Thanks for supporting the music I make!

kasson
Thanks kasson, these are very enjoyable, sounds great and a wonderful package deal! (y) (y)

Back