Ambient Music. A general discussion on all aspects of this unique genre.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loved that show when it came out Derek, but then it just got weirder and weirder as most Lynch scenes tend to do... and by the end of the show I was just wanting it all to just be over 🤪

It's an acquired taste, that's for sure. The recent limited event series contained some of the finest television ever made as Lynch's imagination is just incredible. If you ever get a chance to see it - and are prepared to sit through it - you may well enjoy it as much as I did. If not, there's always the cozy ambiance of the Double R Diner to fall back on :)

I've listened to a few more Robert Rich record's in 5.1. Not gonna lie, none of them really musically live up to tactile ground. Nest is pretty good, Filaments is decent, but music from atlas dei and offering to the morning fog kinda just sound like generic run of the mill ambient. I really wish he'd do some of his classics.

Do listen to Tactile Ground though, it's pretty damn good, but it's really the only robert rich in 5.1 I reccomend besides maybe Nest.

I read about this album in Prog magazine last night. Never heard of the group, and “ambient” is not necessarily what they’re all about. As you might guess from the title, this is a nod to Eno.

I’ve got this on in the background, so I haven’t paid total attention to it. It’s upbeat and even a little manic in places, so I wouldn’t call this “relaxing ambient”.

Also note that it’s not surround, which is a shame as I imagine it would be pretty good.

I did this as an ambient/live jam experiment.

If anyone has a Surroundmaster, I'd be interested how this sounds thru your system?

It's not encoded in surround, but it might decode with some effect. My surround setup is dismantled at the moment.

I've listened to a few more Robert Rich record's in 5.1. Not gonna lie, none of them really musically live up to tactile ground. Nest is pretty good, Filaments is decent, but music from atlas dei and offering to the morning fog kinda just sound like generic run of the mill ambient. I really wish he'd do some of his classics.

Do listen to Tactile Ground though, it's pretty damn good, but it's really the only robert rich in 5.1 I reccomend besides maybe Nest.
Have you tried Neurogenesis? I like that one a lot.

Is any of Hecker’s work available in surround?
Not any of his studio albums, but his two recent soundtrack pieces The North Water and Infinity Pool might be in surround in their respective material, but I haven’t seen them to confirm.

I will say I gave the new Robert Rich a spin in 5.1 last night, pretty good, uses a lot of the same sound pallet as Offering To The Morning Fog for those who enjoyed that album. Much like his other 5.1 mixes, it’s fairly conservative until certain elements enter the track in which it becomes quite discrete

For pure ambience in 5.1, The Solitudes label has released 4 well recorded Multi~CH SACDs:

https://www.hraudio.net/search.php?format=0&keywords=dan+gibson
51C1G15MZ8L.jpg
41N0XYM7YYL.jpg
51t5F4RW-gL.jpg
71eMYBfcp2L._SL1077_.jpg

I think I first heard of loscil in Electronic Sounds magazine. They have a new song out (42 minutes) and I’m liking it.

On their Bandcamp page it says, "A 40+ minute render of ALTA, a generative music piece originally part of an audiovisual installation at the Libby Leshgold Gallery on the Emily Carr University campus in Vancouver BC, in March 2023. The installation was designed as a 4-channel piece of endless music. Presented here in stereo...”

Unless I’m misinterpreting what was written, this was originally a surround recording. I would love to have that version to buy.

Back