Quad LP/Tape Poll America: Hearts [CD-4/Q8/QR]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Hearts"

• 10: Great Mix, Great Sound, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sound, Bad Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
From 1975, America's fifth album.

Side 1:

1. Daisy Jane
2. Half A Man
3. Midnight
4. Bell Tree
5. Old Virginia
6. People In The Valley

Side 2:

1. Company
2. Woman Tonight
3. The Story Of A Teenager
4. Sister Golden Hair
5. Tomorrow
6. Seasons

Attachments

• America Hearts.jpg
    America Hearts.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 469
"Sister Golden Hair" is probably one of the more obvious rips with a solo Beatle in mind(George Harrison)than most of its type(not that there were many)...that said, like HOLIDAY, the quad mix does justice to the music, which overall isn't strong material-wise, but well performed. Hard to get excessively enthusiastic about America--I always thought their 1971/2 debut would have been a great choice for Quad--but the mixes of both albums have kept me listening on occasion ever since, which would not have happened if these had remained stereo titles only.

ED :)

I had to give this a 9 because I bought a sealed copy and the sound quality is incredible!

The noise level isn't any different than a regular stereo version and the sonics are wonderful.

Which will lead me to start another thread :^)

Doug

This was their second album with George Martin producing - as you no doubt noticed. What's cool is listening to individual channels alone - especially one's with vocals - on this and Holiday. You can sometimes "hear" the room where the recording took place. Interesting hearing breaths and random noise that is covered up by the full mix. Not great material, but pleasant to listen to while relaxing and daydreaming.

I liked this back in the day but couldn't possibly listen to it now. I had the quad reel.

On the other hand I'd have no problem with the Holiday title. I'd like for that to come out on SACD in Japan.

8. I got this as a CD-4 new release. Daisy Jane is the best thing here. Sister Golden Hair is another goodie. Some of the rest drags a bit. Nice mix, good fidelity.

Linda
I'm a Crazy Girl, Playing My Crazy Game

I was wondering if the placement of things are the same as the Q8 Linda. I've recently been prepping my copy for DVD-A for one of the folks here. What I noticed is George and Geoff seemed to take the approach of an "X" pattern for panning. Like on "Seasons" - the piccolo trumpet panned Front/Left and Back/Right with the verb just the opposite, Front/Right and Back/Left. It seemed unique to me on the initial transfer I did back in 2010. None of the other tapes/albums I had used this kind of approach consistently for a whole album. Holiday has some like this, but not the majority of the album.

Seasons, The Story of a Teenager, Woman Tonight and Half a Man are additional standouts for me along with the 2 you mentioned. Someone mentioned that George Martin's orchestrations really made this album and Holiday a bit "more" than they might have been otherwise. I would tend to agree to a point. Even though George was involved with the next 2 - Hideaway and Harbor - Hearts and Holiday seem to stand out for me.

Sadly, at this point I bought mostly vinyl, so I don't have a Q8 to A/B. THX 1136, Martin can work wonders. The Beatles' genius was nurtured and greatly enhanced by him. George's best post-Beatles production: Icarus - Paul Winter Consort, which became Oregon, sans Paul. A spectacular album. Sorry, no Quad.

I stopped buying America after this one. I've bought their import live SACD and Blu-Ray-V since then. I'm with you, Ed, I'd love to see their debut in surround. That eponymous '72 album is still their best.

Linda

Ah, This Q4 sounded QUITE GOOD. Really enjoyable mix. Not a fan of this kind of music, but I felt I could hear the Gearge Martin influence helping things. Nice mix, very enjoyable and appropriate. A nice rear right bass solo to my surprise. 9.

Back