HiRez Poll America - HOMECOMING [DVD-A/SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD of America - HOMECOMING

• Total voters
Woulda been great if their debut Lp had been issued in 5.1, too, but this'll give ya a taste of what might've been...

ED :)

This is one of my favorites. If you want to show how good your system can sound, just pop this one in, cue up the MC playlist, and sit back, you're done. (y)

Picked this up recently agree with almost every thing thats been said about this great stuff, recommended.

Now where is that elusive first album in surround ?

As a good friend painfully pointed out to me today, that I gave this title a rave endorsement but only gave it a 5 in the poll. :mad:@: To keep from losing more credibility, let me try to explain. I got this one about a year ago and obviously, for some unknown reason was not initially impressed (that's when I voted.) But I can't for the life of me understand why I would have rated it so low. I guess it grew on me, because I now love this one. I keep getting it out again and again. The big draw here is the clarity of the sound and the mix, I love the guitar solos. If I could vote again, I would give it an enthusiastic 9. I suppose that my opinions have changed over time on other titles as well, usually for the better. I try to keep my comments positive and promote titles that I think are gems, and this is one!

Sorry for the confusion. :eek:

Dennis

< UPDATE: Dennis, I hacked the database and changed you vote to a 9. How's that for "full service" moderation! :D >

One of my favorite DVD-As for so many reasons!

Everything about this disk is top notch. My only complaint is that the album is so short.

Pick it up while you can!

With everyone prodding to "pick it up while you can" I finally got it in my hot little hands this week after doing some searching and having two online sources tell me that it was back ordered (after I had already placed my order). Very nice mix. Really makes you yearn for more releases like this. I give it a 9.

I pulled this one out tonight and gave it a listen again.

I just wanted to reiterate just how much of a gem this disk is.

I voted a 9 before, but would vote a 10 now.

This was the first DVD-A I bought and it's still one of my favorites. Highly recommended!

As a good friend painfully pointed out to me today, that I gave this title a rave endorsement but only gave it a 5 in the poll. :mad:@: To keep from losing more credibility, let me try to explain. I got this one about a year ago and obviously, for some unknown reason was not initially impressed (that's when I voted.) But I can't for the life of me understand why I would have rated it so low. I guess it grew on me, because I now love this one. I keep getting it out again and again. The big draw here is the clarity of the sound and the mix, I love the guitar solos. If I could vote again, I would give it an enthusiastic 9. I suppose that my opinions have changed over time on other titles as well, usually for the better. I try to keep my comments positive and promote titles that I think are gems, and this is one!

Sorry for the confusion. :eek:

Dennis

I wonder if Tim could chime in now to see if his vote of 6 :mad:@: has improved??. This was my first DVD-A experience (first SACD was DSOTM) and I have been poor in the pocket but rich in the head ever since. 10+.

I never had listened much to America, but I picked this disc up since I love the surround sound music. After a few listens, I really started to like the music, and thought the surround mix was done very well. Maybe 10 is too high, but I think it's a stellar sounding disc.

I spent some time today with a couple of Elliot Scheiner masterpieces - Beck's "Sea Change" and America's "Homecoming."

The beautiful thing about the surround mix on "Homecoming", in my opinion, is that the lead vocal of each song is in the center speaker while each of the two harmony vocals is in the surrounds, so it sounds like you are standing between the three of them while they sing. I've never been a big CSN fan, but I couldn't help but think how wonderful they would sound in such a mix.

What a fantastic disc.

I've been a closet America fan for a long time, so when I stuck a toe into the multichannel waters this was one of my very first purchases (just about the time it was disappearing for good). Absolutely stellar, this sucker sounds fabulous and the mix is perfect. The only problem is that it makes me crave the first album in surround (tho' I'm glad we have Hearts and Holiday in CD-4). 10 with a bullet.

Mark Z

Really warm feel to this, many of the songs I'd never heard. Would love to hear the quads of Hearts & Holiday as a DVD-A two disc audiophile re-issue. Yes, I can dream.

Pulled this off the shelf tonight to listen to tonight, its been a while , and Wow I had forgotten just how good an album this is in surround.

Supurb

Thanks to my best trading buddy, I finally got a copy.

The surround mix, sonics and material are top notch,

A 10 for sure,

Pulled this off the shelf tonight to listen to tonight, its been a while , and Wow I had forgotten just how good an album this is in surround.

Supurb

I did the same thing. Wow, I keep forgetting how great this DVD-A is. I could listen to those isolated acoustic guitars on the first track "Ventura Highway" all day. They are so clear and shine it's like, how could one ever listen to the stereo mix again?

It's a shame that a great disc like this is out of print. Whoever mixed this disc is a true pro at 5.1.

I did the same thing. Wow, I keep forgetting how great this DVD-A is. I could listen to those isolated acoustic guitars on the first track "Ventura Highway" all day. They are so clear and shine it's like, how could one ever listen to the stereo mix again?

It's a shame that a great disc like this is out of print. Whoever mixed this disc is a true pro at 5.1.
I believe that would be Elliott Scheiner

Back