HiRez Poll America - STRUTTIN' OUR STUFF [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of America - Struttin' Our Stuff

• 10: Great Mix, Great Fidelity, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9:

• 8:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 1: Poor Mix, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts an comments on this 5.1 SACD from Europe! (y):phones(n)

Attachments

• america front.jpg
    america front.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 217
  • america back.jpg
    america back.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 212
Heck, 2004 and never seen it before!!!!
Just noticed three days ago a new America album, with a bonus cd of a live concert. Didn't picked it up yet.

I gave it a "7". It's a discrete surround mix but the surrounds are used mainly to extend the front stage and for the audience (which is, thankfully, very quiet during the performances). The lead vocals are focussed on the centre speaker. If you like America this is a good souvenir of one of their concerts.

I finally got around to buying a copy of this. Not sure how many actual America fans are out there, but I really like this group and for years have had copies of all their albums into the early '80s. The "Homecoming" DVD-A is one of my favorite and best-sounding surround discs, truly stunning sound and an album that grows on you as you become more familiar with it.

I saw America live about 5 years before this was recorded in 1999, but I remember them sounding much better than this in concert. The sound on this SACD seems muddled and while the performances aren't terrible, they aren't exactly spectacular either. As pointed out previously, some instruments are spread into the rears but sometimes isolating instruments isn't that good a thing -- seemed to me that the guitarist in left rear was caught slacking off a few times.

I want to like this, I really do, but I don't -- I guess a 6 is in order. If you really like the band you might enjoy this, but IMHO the Homecoming DVD-A is the holy grail of America and that's where everybody ought to start. The original quads of Hearts and Holiday aren't too shabby either.

Mark Z

I finally got around to buying a copy of this. Not sure how many actual America fans are out there, but I really like this group and for years have had copies of all their albums into the early '80s. The "Homecoming" DVD-A is one of my favorite and best-sounding surround discs, truly stunning sound and an album that grows on you as you become more familiar with it.

I saw America live about 5 years before this was recorded in 1999, but I remember them sounding much better than this in concert. The sound on this SACD seems muddled and while the performances aren't terrible, they aren't exactly spectacular either. As pointed out previously, some instruments are spread into the rears but sometimes isolating instruments isn't that good a thing -- seemed to me that the guitarist in left rear was caught slacking off a few times.

I want to like this, I really do, but I don't -- I guess a 6 is in order. If you really like the band you might enjoy this, but IMHO the Homecoming DVD-A is the holy grail of America and that's where everybody ought to start. The original quads of Hearts and Holiday aren't too shabby either.

Mark Z

I'm going to see America tomorrow nite. They are playing a free concert here. I'll let you know how they sound. i have the 2 cd set -here and now. the second cd is a live performance in 2 channel. sounds good to me.i saw the strutting sacd but the mixed reviews made me not buy it.

Mark Z

That Homecoming DVD-A is absolutely incredible! Another exemplary Elliot Scheiner 5.1 mix and fidelity to die for! :banana:

Thanks for asking. I had intended to address the sound quality in my post. Sound quality is very good. Although the surround effect is minimal, which is typical for live, I was HIGHLY IMPRESSED with both the performance and fidelity.

Despite being on a low profile label, being live, them being older, and having one less American than Homecoming, this disc is highly worth owning.

How would you rate the sound quality (if possible) in comparison to the DTS CD of "Hell Freezes Over"?

Back