American Groups/Artists in Surround , Most CONCERNING.......

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
:unsure:
🤷‍♂️

Has anybody else noticed the lack of American Groups not recording Newer , Current , or Older albums in Surround ?

There seems to be only British , European , and Asian Artists releasing their catalogs or older releases in 5.1 or Atmos.
And lots of newer recordings as well.

It's been Quite some time since Tom Petty (a little while), Neil Young (CanAm) , or groups like Aerosmith , The Grateful Dead , Bob Dylan etc , are doing anything such as a recording contribution Surround Music.

Maybe I'm missing something ? But so far as I have noticed there seems to be a lack of Surround by some very big U.S. artists.

If anyone has a listing of rumoured or supposed surrounds ...well please update me (or us on QQ ).
Anyway this phenomenon has been something i've noticed lately . And i Hope I'm wrong about this newly evolving pattern .

:unsure:
🤷‍♂️

Has anybody else noticed the lack of American Groups not recording Newer , Current , or Older albums in Surround ?

There seems to be only British , European , and Asian Artists releasing their catalogs or older releases in 5.1 or Atmos.
And lots of newer recordings as well.

It's been Quite some time since Tom Petty (a little while), Neil Young (CanAm) , or groups like Aerosmith , The Grateful Dead , Bob Dylan etc , are doing anything such as a recording contribution Surround Music.

Maybe I'm missing something ? But so far as I have noticed there seems to be a lack of Surround by some very big U.S. artists.

If anyone has a listing of rumoured or supposed surrounds ...well please update me (or us on QQ ).
Anyway this phenomenon has been something i've noticed lately . And i Hope I'm wrong about this newly evolving pattern .

Interesting thread, Fizzy but the American groups you did mention who have albums in surround, IMO, were the result of the labels, not the artists themselves, pushing surround to introduce SACD/DVD~A to the general public.

Ironically, the only American companies consistently releasing in surround is good ole Hollywood U.S.A. with their steady roster of movies in 5.1 and NOW ATMOS.

And now with streaming services like Tidal and Qobuz releasing artist singles in ATMOS it seems any interest in re~releasing them on physical disc has NO momentum.

I've speculated for years that in order for surround to elevate itself out of its niche 'purgatory' is for popular contemporary artists to release in surround but unfortunately, that has never transpired. And of course with Vinyl being ever so popular, that has further deterred any momentum to expand into surround.

And the proliferation of soundbars and Amazon's 'toy' Atmos plastic 'hardware' [an oxymoron?] isn't going to convince Joe Q. Public that surround is anything more than a 'gimmick!'

I'm just happy that Dutton Vocalion, a British reissue company, has liberated over 200 nascent American QUAD titles and finally released them to us in such sterling quality.

What the future holds as pertains to surround on the American front does seem rather grim......but as we've all learned from QQ forum ..... HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL!

Or in the words of the great Laura Nyro and Patti Labelle:

Last edited:
Ironically, the only American companies consistently releasing in surround is good ole Hollywood U.S.A. with their steady roster of movies in 5.1 and NOW ATMOS.
And now with streaming services like Tidal and Quobuz releasing artist singles in ATMOS it seems any interest in re~releasing them on physical disc has NO momentum.

Ralph, I saw that you mentioned qobuz (the correct spelling) which I have, but didn't think a digital Atmos version was available to buy through them. Here's a screenshot of one I searched. The heading says Atmos Version, but it's 24x96, and I believe Atmos is limited to 24x48; so what are they selling here exactly I wonder, or am I missing something?
*edit - I see it also says "Stereo" but still WTF?

qobuz atmos.jpg

Yes, interesting topic. On one hand there is so much going on basically with forms of streaming music that the niche percieved by the powers to be, I am guessing, that they can fill that niche (people like us) with 24 bit stereo and Atmos surround.
I have listened to the recent George Harrison release with ATMOS on Apple Music. Very good. My box set copy is being sent from Japan this week and even though the streaming was good, I just have to believe the physical discs will be better?
Mentally it is easier for me to have a hard disc, because streaming is a different mind set.

Ralph, I saw that you mentioned qobuz (the correct spelling) which I have, but didn't think a digital Atmos version was available to buy through them. Here's a screenshot of one I searched. The heading says Atmos Version, but it's 24x96, and I believe Atmos is limited to 24x48; so what are they selling here exactly I wonder, or am I missing something?
*edit - I see it also says "Stereo" but still WTF?

View attachment 70404

Pupster, DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES or are you quite doggedly, AN AGNOSTIC?

I did correct the spelling of Qobuz .... Thank you.

And you're correct: Atmos is 48/24 and NOT 96/24 ...... sounds more like 5.1!

Well I do hope it does turn around , and U.S.artists realize what we here have always known, namely there is a market (which gets bigger everyday) for both new and older recordings in Surround.

I think there's plenty of room for more Artistic talent in the U.S. to record in surround. And I don't necessarily think that surround is a "NICHE" market. At least not anymore .

Hey ...leave the British to prove that this is now a financial necessity for both Iconic and newly up and coming recording artists.

For shame , to the US recording industry that continue to be so indecisive. Pushing Tidal and Apple streaming and vinyl and even cassettes !! (well at least the odd vinyl reissue retains it's QS , SQ matrix quad)

I think the initiative by Tom Petty wasn't his label but Artist driven. We could argue back and forth regarding this artistic choice but I think it's coming from the Artist's in Britain , and not the labels . Too bad Tom Petty has now left us with some of his top notch musical legacy in surround.

RULE BRITANIA in quad or 5.1 :)💂‍♂️

Yes, interesting topic. On one hand there is so much going on basically with forms of streaming music that the niche percieved by the powers to be, I am guessing, that they can fill that niche (people like us) with 24 bit stereo and Atmos surround.
I have listened to the recent George Harrison release with ATMOS on Apple Music. Very good. My box set copy is being sent from Japan this week and even though the streaming was good, I just have to believe the physical discs will be better?
Mentally it is easier for me to have a hard disc, because streaming is a different mind set.

And did Markie set up his new two piece 'tubed' McIntosh pre/pro and his megabuck MQA enabled CD player?

And did Markie set up his new two piece 'tubed' McIntosh pre/pro and his megabuck MQA enabled CD player?
Yes, started yesterday, finished today, experimeneted with a lot of different cables, trigger cables, etc. Happy so far. Sounds fantastic, noticeable improvement imediately, more tight, smoother bass. I assume it will sound better in a couple months?
The MQA CD player is also quite good, running through the same pre amp.
Ralphie, I think I am done, I will be quite happy with all this for many years, so he said,

Wish I had Dual Citizenship with Britain .

Then I could buy some of those local surround titles which are so very plentiful , much quicker buys -over there, me thinks.

And then take an "Exit to Brexit" And I'd wave goodbye until "Nexit time ♡

Bye Bye , Boris the Spider . Enjoyed my steak and kidney pie , and gobbled down plenty fish 'n chips as well as Pork pie with HP sauce . All the while continously feeding my surround addiction.

Wish I had Dual Citizenship with Britain .

The I could buy some of those local surround titles which are so plentiful , much quicker buys -over there, me thinks.

An then take an "Exit to Brexit" And I'd wave goodbye until "Nexit time" ♡

Bye Bye , Boris the Spider . Enjoyed my steak and kidney pie , and gobbled down plenty fish 'n chips as well as Pork pie with HP sauce . All the while continously feeding my surround addiction.

R.95073ed27cdc4485332e2dc923c680f1

HOW DARE YOU CONFUSE MOI WITH 'BOORISH' JOHNSON!

Margaret Thatcher appeared to me in a dream. She said: you voted for Boris Johnson thinking it was Boris Karloff. You know, from Surrey.

Me thinks the spectre of the "Iron Lady" is dragging her rusty buns around the Tower Of London , hatchet in hand , wondering what she could possibly chop next .
Well ok, but it would make for a scary movie .....er um Sequel.

Me thinks the spectre of the "Iron Lady" is dragging her rusty buns around the Tower Of London , hatchet in hand , wondering what she could possibly chop next .
Well ok, but it would make for a scary movie .....er um Sequel.
Me thinks you should pitch this to someone like Matt Palmer (Caliber)😈.

As an American artist myself I pinpoint 3 reasons.

1. Streaming has become king. That's fine and all, but physical sales (aside from vinyl) are at an all time low because no major US retailer carries CDs anymore.

2. Presence of AV receivers in the US market. At one point it was well over 50% of households. Again, due to streaming, it's probably very low. Compared to ten years ago, I can't find a single person in my area with a receiver now.

3. American artists do not have good decision making skills. Especially when it comes to mixing/surround. Examples: Silverline Label, John Mayer, Majority of the Apple Spatial Audio releases, etc.

@Mr. Afternoon

It's a good then you are one of the exceptions . Please accept my gratitude for your surround decision. :)

I wonder....... What's it going to take to twist the ears of some of the other Artists ?

😘
I have no idea. I know artists who are insist to have stuff compressed and lossy'd during production stages.

Back