American Groups/Artists in Surround , Most CONCERNING.......

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe too many artists are quadro-phobic. :unsure:
Seriously though, when I look at something like old Stones released in Atmos I wonder exactly who pushed for that? I'm asking because I don't know.
Do the Rolling Stones give a damn about surround? I don't know. Did the label figure they had a cash cow because, hell everyone knows who the Stones are? I don't know.
My guess is, wrong or right, that many artists just don't care about surround.

Back in the 70's like many here at QQ I had a pretty darn good Quad system. All of my friends were unimpressed, even when I sat them in the sweet spot and asked them to just relax and listen for a few minutes.
For some reason we expect Artists to be different because they are musicians. Maybe some people just don't get it, doesn't matter, and that's the way it is.

My daughter is in her late 40's. On her last visit I gave her my old Onkyo TX-NR606. I'd be surprised if it's got any speakers hooked up and more surprised if it had a working 5.1 speaker system.
Hope springs eternal, though. Her long time Beau works side jobs installing car stereo so I thought, just maybe.....That old 606 was a hasty purchase when my Sony AVR suffered a sudden death.
At least it has phono and analog multichannel inputs! I used to sell audio gear, and the 606 was, at the time, our most popular receiver.

Seriously though, when I look at something like old Stones released in Atmos I wonder exactly who pushed for that? I'm asking because I don't know.
Do the Rolling Stones give a damn about surround? I don't know. Did the label figure they had a cash cow because, hell everyone knows who the Stones are? I don't know.

Back in the 70's like many here at QQ I had a pretty darn good Quad system. All of my friends were unimpressed, even when I sat them in the sweet spot and asked them to just relax and listen for a few minutes.
For some reason we expect Artists to be different because they are musicians. Maybe some people just don't get it, doesn't matter, and that's the way it is.
I think it's the record companies that are "quadraphobic". It has more to do with return on investment than anything else. There are some artists who shun the idea, but mostly, it's the companies. For example, Rhino's original for their Quadio series was to release single albums, which were decent sellers as quad LP's and Q8's in the 70's from the WEA labels. They stopped after only two were issued. Thank goodness for companies like Dutton Vocalion!

At least it has phono and analog multichannel inputs! I used to sell audio gear, and the 606 was, at the time, our most popular receiver.
Well actually it does not have analog mch inputs, only stereo analog inputs. It DOES have a decent number of HDMI inputs, however flawed the HDMI boards are on these units (I recapped the HDMI board in the 606 a while back with help picking the caps from a fellow QQ'r more knowledgeable than I)
Perhaps you were thinking of the HDMI ports available on the unit.

Well actually it does not have analog mch inputs, only stereo analog inputs. It DOES have a decent number of HDMI inputs, however flawed the HDMI boards are on these units (I recapped the HDMI board in the 606 a while back with help picking the caps from a fellow QQ'r more knowledgeable than I)
Perhaps you were thinking of the HDMI ports available on the unit.
No, look at the RCA DVD inputs. The receiver has connections that support a player that has built-in decoding, and can work quite well with a player that can support SACD and DVD-A. There are analog front, surround, surround back, center, and sub inputs from such a player. That's how we did it in the store.

No, look at the RCA DVD inputs. The receiver has connections that support a player that has built-in decoding, and can work quite well with a player that can support SACD and DVD-A. There are analog front, surround, surround back, center, and sub inputs from such a player. That's how we did it in the store.
Well you are probably right. I meant to say TX-NR609, NOT 606. :oops:
My apologies for the typo's. My 609 of course had no mch analog inputs.

There may be some way to do it, I won't say there isn't, but the unit does not have mch analog inputs as I've ever seen, although there are otherwise plenty of stereo inputs. If several could be used simultaneously it's indeed news to me. Also there would be no need for a separate decoder as it has two toslink and two coax inputs.
Onkyo_NX-TR609.JPG

My daughter - 31 - was brought up in an audiophile house. As a youngster she liked pop music ( what kid doesnt ) Mom is big into the 70s music. Kid dug that for awhile. She loved albums and turntables. Then 14 and 15 years old and Goth set in. Cds at that point. And CD-Rs with some horrendous music and sound quality ( and questionable lyrics ) compliments of her gothish friends. Then it was Country. Then Neil Young ( Yes !!! ) - She Really liked Neil in 5.1. ( double win for Dad ).
Then came college. She had a real nice 5.2 system in her bedroom that never got used when she came home during breaks. Then came empty nesting for her Ma and I. So the system was taken down and put into storage. She is now married. Music comes from the I Phone and - according to her - Taylor Swift rules

And Dad ? He still buys physical media and does not stream. Dad is really really old school. Look at his avatar.

Seriously though, when I look at something like old Stones released in Atmos I wonder exactly who pushed for that?
One of the marketing people at the label who saw the new buzzword. They want to have the new buzzword in the promotional material. This person probably has never listened to a surround mix in their life and has no interest to ever do so. They've probably never listened to music in a hi-fi setting in their life and have no interest in that either.

We have to hope to get lucky to snipe the handful of genuine mixes that sneak out with this vehicle. And hope there's something left of them after they send them to the film studio for "mastering" (or whatever the hell is going on with the botched jobs coming out). Sometimes we might get extra lucky and someone will sneak an unmolested - sorry, unmastered version out in one of the audio streams. :D

One of the marketing people at the label who saw the new buzzword. They want to have the new buzzword in the promotional material. This person probably has never listened to a surround mix in their life and has no interest to ever do so. They've probably never listened to music in a hi-fi setting in their life and have no interest in that either.

We have to hope to get lucky to snipe the handful of genuine mixes that sneak out with this vehicle. And hope there's something left of them after they send them to the film studio for "mastering" (or whatever the hell is going on with the botched jobs coming out). Sometimes we might get extra lucky and someone will sneak an unmolested - sorry, unmastered version out in one of the audio streams. :D
I suspect you're right, at least to some degree. When I watched that Bruce Soord interview by our very own Surround Dude who interviews Artists , Bruce says that pulling artists into the studio to listen to their music in surround DOES have quite the effect. Whether that lasts or not, who knows.
...and like you say, there's the record labels, never known to really give a shit about anyone but the bottom line as they see it in their infinite wisdom.
To be clear, there have been some people in the industry with common sense. I think Don Kirshner doesn't get enough credit for encouraging and bankrolling new acts.

There may be some way to do it, I won't say there isn't, but the unit does not have mch analog inputs as I've ever seen, although there are otherwise plenty of stereo inputs. If several could be used simultaneously it's indeed news to me. Also there would be no need for a separate decoder as it has two toslink and two coax inputs.
View attachment 70466
I was sure the 609 had the same multichannel arrangement as the 606; my bad. The 609 might support MLP and DSD via the HDMI, but I won't swear to it.

I was sure the 609 had the same multichannel arrangement as the 606; my bad. The 609 might support MLP and DSD via the HDMI, but I won't swear to it.
Yep. And also it plays pure Quad correctly, whereas some newer Onkyo's need to see something at least on the center channel, otherwise it comes out in stereo. Of course not only Onkyo but other brands as well. That's why if you're gonna do something with Quad it's best to add at least a dummy center channel.
Anyway, back to the music! Nice chat!

I see your point, and I think a very accurate observation it is, however......The Stones aren't American .

Right. It was off the top of my head to use as an example and for whatever reason the Stones were on top! Probably had another listen to GHS and it was sticking in my mind.

That's ok your excused .They most certainly have made most of their $ from U.S. fans .

Perhaps one day we can hear something surround from The Cars , or Van Halen... etc.

Back