Amoeba Records Go Fund Me

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Svensson

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Hopefully not on repeat here, but some of you may have heard Amoeba was on life support due to...Covid or ?, Anyway they have a Go Fund Me going to get through this rough spot that you might want to consider. I've never been in any of their 3 stores, but I've heard enough to think they're true believers in music, so I gave some coinage....not that I'm mister Robin Hood. Hopefully my local store 3 blocks away weather's this hit.

Hopefully not on repeat here, but some of you may have heard Amoeba was on life support due to...Covid or ?, Anyway they have a Go Fund Me going to get through this rough spot that you might want to consider. I've never been in any of their 3 stores, but I've heard enough to think they're true believers in music, so I gave some coinage....not that I'm mister Robin Hood. Hopefully my local store 3 blocks away weather's this hit.

Oh dear. I've spent many a happy hour in the Berkeley, SF, and LA flagship stores. They're an incomparable resource. I hope they make it...

Wow - I spent an afternoon at the LA location last month, just before everything went crazy. Tons of surround discs! I hope they make it as well...

Last edited:
MOST UNFORTUNATELY, Amoeba Records will be one of many hundreds of thousands of businesse, small and large, that will suffer the consequences of this diastrous pandemic.

I perused Berkeley shortly before the world went crazy. Didn't find a whole lot, but a couple of goodies.

I lived in Burbank from January until mid-March (I would have been there until early May if not for the pandemic) and would peruse the Sunset Blvd location once every two weeks or so. Here's what I ended up with by the time I moved back to New York:

Ameoba Discs 2020.jpg

I've hit a lot of used vinyl/CD shops on the East Coast, but I'd never seen anything like this. They actually had a dedicated DVD-A/SACD bin!

Last edited:
I lived in Burbank from January until mid-March (I would have been there until early May if not for the pandemic) and would peruse the Sunset Blvd location once every two weeks or so. Here's what I ended up with by the time I moved back to New York:

View attachment 50273

I've hit a lot of use vinyl/CD shops on the East Coast, but I'd never seen anything like this.

Nice haul!

Amoeba has an online store, but its design is antiquated, and the search capabilities are pretty limited. No practical way that I can see to search on 5.1 or surround, but SACD comes up with 300+ hits--overwhelmingly classical.

Last edited:
I went to the old LA store last August. Bought an album by Love, new version with unreleased Arthur Lee mix and a used copy of Sopwith Camel's second one. What a place!

In 2014 I actually flew from Australia to specifically shop at Amoeba. I stayed on Sunset Bvd near the LA store. Spent 3 days there.
Unfortunately I am not in a financial situation to give them anything at the moment (unemploymed and broke) but I do hope they survive and I can go there again in a year or so when hell freezes over and the Australian dollar is stronger.
I personally don't understand why they are in such a dire financial situation after selling their Sunset Boulevard store for an apparent $30 million dollars.

I've hit a lot of used vinyl/CD shops on the East Coast, but I'd never seen anything like this. They actually had a dedicated DVD-A/SACD bin!
I haven't been there in a while, but I would always go to their DVD-A section (that's how long I suppose) and there was hardly anything there that I wanted. It looks like they had really improved it. I am looking forward to the new store which they plan to open in the fall. I love that place.

Back