An Involve QS-1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

par4ken

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I finally got around to installing the Involve Evaluation Module inside The Sansui QS-1 case. Originally I had it inside the Sony SQD-2010 wired to the discrete input. I later replaced it with the Involve SQ version. I was considering putting both into the Sony but then I would have to use the four channel tape input as well. I decided that it would be a better idea to put a QS decoder into a QS box. The QS-1 has no separate discrete input just the four channel tape monitor so I had to give that up. No real loss, I wasn't using the tape monitor anyway.

The QS-1 has lots of room inside, but the boards are all spaced out using up much of that space. I started by moving the modules over a bit toward the right hand side away from the power supply. I didn't want to touch the original wiring and so was limited in how far each board could be moved. I could have simply drilled holes and used new nuts and bolts but I thought that a more elegant solution was to drill 2.5 mm holes and then use a M3x5.0 tap. I then could reuse the original screws.

Because I made my input and output connections via chopped off RCA cables the board ended up taking up more space than I had anticipated. I had originally intended to mount it parallel with the other boards. There was a lot of room across the back in front of the output jacks so I installed it there. In the Sony decoder I was able to mount the board flat using standoffs. There was not the room to do that here, I had to mount the board vertically the same as the Sansui boards. I placed a mica power transistor insulator between the small L bracket and the board so that the input jack (or anything else) would not short.

As with the Sony decoder I used a small switching 9V power supply to power the involve module. They are only a few dollars each off of Aliexpress.

As for sound, I'm listening at my workbench via small Minimus speakers. The Sansui decoder has a certain "warmth" to it that the Involve does not. Which sounds very nice via my closely spaced workbench speakers. I've mentioned before that in a larger room the QS-1 is much less impressive. In contrast the notable thing about the Involve is almost no vocal break through in the rear. I was listening to my vinyl rip of the QS encoded Dewey Redman "Coincide" via Involve and it sounds very much discrete.

The QS-1 is a thing of beauty, but still not worth the 2K price tag that some are asking. The cheapest price on eBay right now is about $750. I don't think that I paid more than (likely less) than $100 for mine.

You might notice the capacitors are not stock; most or all signal passing electrolytics were replaced with film types. I didn't touch the power supply capacitors at all and it still works perfectly, no swollen capacitors and no hum.

1678121904497.jpeg
1678121842684.jpeg

1678121992170.jpeg
1678122033782.jpeg
1678121966132.jpeg

Last edited:
The QS-1 will look nice back in the rack in my "man cave" right above the SQD-2010. Most other vintage decoders in my collection don't have the same ''curb appeal".

As for switching them in for a listen, I'm currently using a Russound QT-1 to switch the outputs.

As for the inputs I can drive them all at once with an audio distribution amplifier. I purchased a Kramer VM10-XL "Video Audio Distribution Amplifier" for next to nothing, it has 10 buffered stereo outputs plus a loop through! It also has composite video which is why it has become obsolete but I don't need to use the video anyway. A professional rack mount unit, so what is not to like!

Last edited:
@par4ken , does this unit have the phase blending capability that @Sonik Wiz has noted several times? I didn’t see any specific controls on the front panel for this effect.
No, it would have to be done externally. I still have my old home built preamplifier that can be used. A circuit could have been added but that would require that a pot or switch be added, I didn't want to effect look of the original unit.

Hmmm. My dear old Altec 724 tuner-preamp has been a target for similar projects in the past, including the Motorola 3-chip circuit and a CD-4 demod. Now there’s actually a decent modern system that is looking far more appealing.

The fish I already have in the pan are taking priority, but it looks like fun!

And your work looks pretty good, too!

Very nice build, Ken! I think I would have stalled out when I realized I needed to move the original PCB's around a bit. You have 2 very unique items here: a Sony SQD-2010 with a built in Involve SQ module. And the Sansui QS-1 with built in Involve QS module. Wow!

I hope when you spend some more time listening to both Sony & Sansui you can report back in greater detail your impressions. When you say the QS-1 has a warmth that the Involve doers not, well the ear/brain connection is a curious thing. If listening to the Involve for a while then switching to the Sansui one might get the impression that the latter is a little dull or muffled. And I'd be most interested in a comparison of the Involve vs Sony SQ decoding.

The QS-1 is one of the very few pieces of Quad gear that I've had come & go, And I really wish I still had it. A class act in so many ways & a real looker for 1972(?).

Oh, and also, are you still using the venerable Photlume QS/SQ decoder? How does it fit into the big picture of your system set up?
Yes I still have the Photolume and I still maintain that it sounds a bit better than the Involve. It works fantastic on stereo (surround mode). I'm sure that the Involve would be better with QS, with greater separation and properly phased outputs.

IMHO the S&IC still blows everything else away! The Composer will even decode QS (stereo enhance set midway) with the caveat that a full centre/centre top signal will be skewed to the right back. Test tones with the exception of full centre decode from the proper locations! I lived for years without a real QS decoder!

I would like to be able to switch different decoders in and out at will. The QT-1 does the job but it is a bit of a pain to because it is not very intuitive to use. A mixer circuit would be the solution. It's nice when the decoder has its own output volume control. The Photolume lacks that, So I might have to add one in, there is enough room inside and on the front panel! Alternatively a mixer with at least some inputs with level controls would work. You could feed the same stereo signal to all the decoders simultaneously fed via the distribution amplifier, then just turn up the output pot of the one that you want to audition! Comparisons would be simple!

Do I really need all of these decoders in my system, of course not, but I love equipement, especially vintage quad. No use collecting any ot it if the collection can not easily be listened to! Right?

You could feed the same stereo signal to all the decoders simultaneously fed via the distribution amplifier, then just turn up the output pot of the one that you want to audition! Comparisons would be simple!
Hello @par4ken .....question. It doesn't have trim / level control, but would a Zektor 4.1 or 7.1 do the trick as well, and remotely if desired?

A second question, does the Kramer introduce noticeable noise that you are aware of?

Thank you. I've been pondering how to better incorporate a few vintage decoders all into my system and the Kramer seems like a good solution to the input challenge.

The Zekor could be used for switching the outputs. I suppose that with the 7.1 version You could use it to switch inputs and outputs.
The Kramer introduces no noise or distortion that I can discern.

Back