• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

An old thing I found - Off Duty '77

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
When I was out at sea on the Aircraft Carrier, being a sailor, instead of curling up with Penthouse, Playboy, and other stuff like that, I curled up with things like this. I mean I read this thing back and forth, over and out, I had every price of quad stuff memorized, and the guys in my shop thought I was crazy (they were not wrong).

Anyway, here's a few peeks at this Off Duty catalog. Just a few as most of it is text with tiny black and white pictures

Cover.jpg

M-D-Z

QQ Supporter
And the EU version, in black, this was my goal and I achieved it. A QRX-999. Bad Ass Mother! :)

View attachment 36143
I always loved the black face QRX-999 & 990db better, great score!

Did anyone see the movie High Fidelity?
I see a Sansui AU7900 integrated, which looks exactly like the one on the shelf at his house in the movie.

MrSmithers

900 Club - QQ All-Star
Wow - cool stuff. I personally really like the look of the wood/silver finish. I wish modern manufacturers would revisit that style...

That Dokorder 1140 looks really cool, and also has a slight resemblance to WALL-E?! :)

I haven't done the maths on the inflation but I've read that a decent quad set up was the price of a good car back in the day... Funny that it can still be about the same on eBay now!

Jim the Oldbie

800 Club - QQ All-Star
Sweet! I have some old catalogs & brochures, I wish I'd kept more of it. I have almost nothing related to quad in its glory days, though. Nice to see this old stuff.

If I remember correctly, the Dokorder was West Germany's answer to TEAC? For example, the 1140 was a lower-priced alternative to TEAC's iconic 3340? Maybe I'm thinking of some other make.

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Wow - cool stuff. I personally really like the look of the wood/silver finish. I wish modern manufacturers would revisit that style...

That Dokorder 1140 looks really cool, and also has a slight resemblance to WALL-E?! :)

I haven't done the maths on the inflation but I've read that a decent quad set up was the price of a good car back in the day... Funny that it can still be about the same on eBay now!

You got THAT right, Master Smithers.

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
4 channels - 4 wheels, kinda makes sense?! o_O Was always going to hamper mass market appeal then I guess. I think the mid 70's weren't great economically either? Hopefully Jon got a good discount!
Master Smithers, one only has to peruse those Audiophile Rags today [Stereophile/The Absolute Sound, etc] and one could easily outspend the cost of a Ferrari or Maserati* on Audio equipment and have money left over to purchase a case of Pumpkin Ale.

Whether that system would 'fire' on all 12 cylinders is a matter of conjecture! But I'd sure like to find out!

[*Signore Raphael's preferred 'wheels' ...... but of course]

leevitalone1

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Man I remember those PX's. there were really big one's on big bases. And the stuff then was all marked down, you got it near cost. And the selection! I was in a duty station where we had no PX, only a small store on Embassy grounds, they mainly sold American food. But the catalogs! There are some here. posted. The navy had a better selection, because being on a boat sucks. Jon will tell you. So, they feed you better and give more pay, and they have better PX opportunities. Of course I was in the good military the important one. So because we were tougher we didn't need to be pampered.:smokin