An old thing I found - Off Duty '77

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
When I was out at sea on the Aircraft Carrier, being a sailor, instead of curling up with Penthouse, Playboy, and other stuff like that, I curled up with things like this. I mean I read this thing back and forth, over and out, I had every price of quad stuff memorized, and the guys in my shop thought I was crazy (they were not wrong).

Anyway, here's a few peeks at this Off Duty catalog. Just a few as most of it is text with tiny black and white pictures

Cover.jpg

And the EU version, in black, this was my goal and I achieved it. A QRX-999. Bad Ass Mother! :)

View attachment 36143

I always loved the black face QRX-999 & 990db better, great score!

Did anyone see the movie High Fidelity?
I see a Sansui AU7900 integrated, which looks exactly like the one on the shelf at his house in the movie.

Wow - cool stuff. I personally really like the look of the wood/silver finish. I wish modern manufacturers would revisit that style...

That Dokorder 1140 looks really cool, and also has a slight resemblance to WALL-E?! :)

I haven't done the maths on the inflation but I've read that a decent quad set up was the price of a good car back in the day... Funny that it can still be about the same on eBay now!

Sweet! I have some old catalogs & brochures, I wish I'd kept more of it. I have almost nothing related to quad in its glory days, though. Nice to see this old stuff.

If I remember correctly, the Dokorder was West Germany's answer to TEAC? For example, the 1140 was a lower-priced alternative to TEAC's iconic 3340? Maybe I'm thinking of some other make.

Wow - cool stuff. I personally really like the look of the wood/silver finish. I wish modern manufacturers would revisit that style...

That Dokorder 1140 looks really cool, and also has a slight resemblance to WALL-E?! :)

I haven't done the maths on the inflation but I've read that a decent quad set up was the price of a good car back in the day... Funny that it can still be about the same on eBay now!

You got THAT right, Master Smithers.

4 channels - 4 wheels, kinda makes sense?! o_O Was always going to hamper mass market appeal then I guess. I think the mid 70's weren't great economically either? Hopefully Jon got a good discount!

Master Smithers, one only has to peruse those Audiophile Rags today [Stereophile/The Absolute Sound, etc] and one could easily outspend the cost of a Ferrari or Maserati* on Audio equipment and have money left over to purchase a case of Pumpkin Ale.

Whether that system would 'fire' on all 12 cylinders is a matter of conjecture! But I'd sure like to find out!

[*Signore Raphael's preferred 'wheels' ...... but of course]

Man I remember those PX's. there were really big one's on big bases. And the stuff then was all marked down, you got it near cost. And the selection! I was in a duty station where we had no PX, only a small store on Embassy grounds, they mainly sold American food. But the catalogs! There are some here. posted. The navy had a better selection, because being on a boat sucks. Jon will tell you. So, they feed you better and give more pay, and they have better PX opportunities. Of course I was in the good military the important one. So because we were tougher we didn't need to be pampered.:smokin

Back