Steven Wilson An Update on Steven Wilson's Remix Work

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ryan - even prior to this? Wasn't Mother's Talk a seventy two track recording?! Ignoring surround mixes for a moment, this is a track that was not my favourite but became the star of the box set for me. That said, I recall reading that Roland Orzabal spent a lot of work just editing the drums/percussion for Bad Man's song? That would have been insanely intricate using tape!

Ryan - even prior to this? Wasn't Mother's Talk a seventy two track recording?! Ignoring surround mixes for a moment, this is a track that was not my favourite but became the star of the box set for me. That said, I recall reading that Roland Orzabal spent a lot of work just editing the drums/percussion for Bad Man's song? That would have been insanely intricate using tape!

To elaborate on my last post, the advances in multitrack recording technology from the 1970s to the 1980s allowed bands like Tears for Fears and XTC to push the songwriting, arranging, and recording process to even greater limits, and that's why their albums like "Songs from the Big Chair", "The Seeds of Love", "Skylarking", and "Oranges & Lemons" are textbook examples of albums that greatly benefit from being remixed for surround sound. The dense arrangements (made possible by the expansions in multitrack recording) open up tremendously in surround sound, and it's releases like "Skylarking" and "The Seeds of Love" that get me really excited, even more so than almost anything and everything we're getting this year from the 1970s and before that. (Although "Roxy Music" and other albums from the RM cannon are equally as exciting for me.) :)

Whoops, further to my previous post I wasn't insinuating that Bad Man's Song was recorded to tape. I meant editing digitally - presuming he did, but then thinking about that back in the 80s how would that have been any easier? I've not thought it through. As you were.

Absolutely! Unless there are any surprises we don't know about yet, this release and "Skylarking" are the surround mixes I'm looking forward to hearing the most!

Same here! Two stunning albums given the SW treatment. I can't wait to hear them. My mind is already anticipating the sound of crickets chirping all around me at the beginning of "Summer's Cauldron!"

Same here! Two stunning albums given the SW treatment. I can't wait to hear them. My mind is already anticipating the sound of crickets chirping all around me at the beginning of "Summer's Cauldron!"

Same here! I'm certain I'll enjoy a lot of these songs in surround, particularly the first two, the "Ballet for a Rainy Day"/"1000 Umbrellas" combo, "Season Cycle", "Earn Enough For Us", and "The Man Who Sailed Around His Soul". :)

An interesting photo and caption on the Gentle Giant Facebook page:

"Brother Ray visiting us this weekend..
Lots of fun catching up.
Thinking about another Steven Wilson remix this year!!"

(If "In A Glass House" still isn't possible due to missing tapes, I hope they will have SW remix either "Three Friends" or "Free Hand".) :)

13256552_10153853007903791_8980476690099548389_n.jpg

What is actually interesting is that two mixes of the album exist. The one Orzabal spent months working on and the Bob Clearmountain mix. Most of the single versions use Clearmoutain's mixes.

Being a huge fan of the album, I love both versions.

Here's an example.

Year of the Knife (album version - Orzabal mix)

[video=youtube;S0BLR_P3EcM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0BLR_P3EcM[/video]

Year of the Knife (single version - Clearmountain mix)

[video=youtube;-u06Fv0P1kQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u06Fv0P1kQ[/video]

You can never have enough Gentle Giant, especially in surround, lets hope something appears! I've always loved 1977's "The Missing Piece".

An interesting photo and caption on the Gentle Giant Facebook page:

"Brother Ray visiting us this weekend..
Lots of fun catching up.
Thinking about another Steven Wilson remix this year!!"

(If "In A Glass House" still isn't possible due to missing tapes, I hope they will have SW remix either "Three Friends" or "Free Hand".) :)

13256552_10153853007903791_8980476690099548389_n.jpg

You can never have enough Gentle Giant, especially in surround, lets hope something appears! I've always loved 1977's "The Missing Piece".

I should probably give The Missing Piece another shot. I picked up a used LP of it quite some time ago, and have only listened to it a few times. It never really clicked for me, and just felt too commercial. It lacked a lot of the craziness and quirkiness that I've come to expect from GG. If it ends up with a SW remix, I'd definitely be picking it up, however.

According to a comment from the GG Facebook page moderator (possibly Derek Shulman?!), "Three Friends" is the one they are considering the most right now, which makes sense for three reasons:

1) The multitracks for "In A Glass House" are still missing
2) GG owns the recording rights to "Three Friends" (as they do for "Octopus" and "The Power & The Glory")
3) It's a classic album of theirs that has never been mixed or released in surround sound

Here's the quote, also confirming that the IAGH multis are still missing:
"We are thinking of 'Three Friends'..we'd love to re-do 'IAGH'..if anyone here knows where the multis are..SHOUT IT OUT!!!"

Haha, with the mentions out there that the multis for IAGH are still missing, I do hope those who have the tapes in their possession have the fact brought to their attention. Sure they can be an antique for whomever, but man who WOULDN'T want to listen to a version of the album utilising today's techniques?! SHOUT IT OUT - in-deed. :)

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/an-update-on-some-collaboration-work/

In my ongoing work remixing classic albums, a number were completed over the last 18 months or so. These include XTC “Skylarking”, Tears for Fears “The Seeds of Love”, Jethro Tull “Stand Up” and Yes “Tales from Topographic Oceans”. All of these are likely to be issued between September-November this year, except for Tears For Fears which will probably be next year. Also finally due in October are the last of my King Crimson remixes completed some years ago, “Beat”, and “Three of a Perfect Pair”.

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/an-update-on-some-collaboration-work/

In my ongoing work remixing classic albums, a number were completed over the last 18 months or so. These include XTC “Skylarking”, Tears for Fears “The Seeds of Love”, Jethro Tull “Stand Up” and Yes “Tales from Topographic Oceans”. All of these are likely to be issued between September-November this year, except for Tears For Fears which will probably be next year. Also finally due in October are the last of my King Crimson remixes completed some years ago, “Beat”, and “Three of a Perfect Pair”.

Aaarghhhhh.......it figures that the one that I want the most (Tears For Fears) is the one that's going to take the longest to get released. No mention of Roxy Music either, which is disappointing. Still, I'll be very happy to have the new XTC, Tull & Crimson mixes. It'll be a nice autumn for surround!

Aaarghhhhh.......it figures that the one that I want the most (Tears For Fears) is the one that's going to take the longest to get released. No mention of Roxy Music either, which is disappointing. Still, I'll be very happy to have the new XTC, Tull & Crimson mixes. It'll be a nice autumn for surround!

I'm still of the belief that there's still enough time left in the year to see both "Seeds of Love" and some Roxy Music titles released.
Now of course, if we get to September and we still don't have press release and preorder information, then yeah we can kiss those releases goodbye for this year.
Plus, like the last two years, there's always the strong chance that around that time, another 'surprise' or two could leap to the forefront.
We saw that happen last year with "Octopus" from Gentle Giant and in 2014 with "Songs from the Big Chair" from Tears for Fears, so like I always say, "Hope Springs Eternal!" :)

I'm still of the belief that there's still enough time left in the year to see both "Seeds of Love" and some Roxy Music titles released.
Now of course, if we get to September and we still don't have press release and preorder information, then yeah we can kiss those releases goodbye for this year.
Plus, like the last two years, there's always the strong chance that around that time, another 'surprise' or two could leap to the forefront.
We saw that happen last year with "Octopus" from Gentle Giant and in 2014 with "Songs from the Big Chair" from Tears for Fears, so like I always say, "Hope Springs Eternal!" :)

The delay on Tears For Fears kind of makes sense. They had been saying earlier this year that their new album would be out this summer. There's still been no mention of a release date or even a title yet so I would imagine maybe the release of the new LP is being pushed back a bit, maybe to the fall. If so, they probably don't want to release a Seeds of Love box at the same time as the new album. Also, the band recently cancelled their upcoming summer USA tour due to the illness of a family member of one of the band. (They didn't give any more information than that. Hopefully it is nothing too serious.) This could be another factor in things being delayed from the TFF camp.

The delay on Tears For Fears kind of makes sense. They had been saying earlier this year that their new album would be out this summer. There's still been no mention of a release date or even a title yet so I would imagine maybe the release of the new LP is being pushed back a bit, maybe to the fall. If so, they probably don't want to release a Seeds of Love box at the same time as the new album. Also, the band recently cancelled their upcoming summer USA tour due to the illness of a family member of one of the band. (They didn't give any more information than that. Hopefully it is nothing too serious.) This could be another factor in things being delayed from the TFF camp.

I think their new album will be one of those "I will believe it when I hear it" kind of situations.
Plus while they may have control over when their new album is released, the same cannot necessarily be said for "The Seeds of Love" box set, in that if Universal wants it out this fall or next year, that's when it will happen, regardless of what else is going on in TFF world at that moment. We'll just have to wait and see if it does manage to cross this year's finish line or not. :)

I think their new album will be one of those "I will believe it when I hear it" kind of situations.
Plus while they may have control over when their new album is released, the same cannot necessarily be said for "The Seeds of Love" box set, in that if Universal wants it out this fall or next year, that's when it will happen, regardless of what else is going on in TFF world at that moment. We'll just have to wait and see if it does manage to cross this year's finish line or not. :)

According to Billboard, the band has now signed with Warner Brothers and expects to release the new LP in 2017. Also, the cancelled North American summer tour dates have been rescheduled for the fall.

According to Billboard, the band has now signed with Warner Brothers and expects to release the new LP in 2017. Also, the cancelled North American summer tour dates have been rescheduled for the fall.

I think the fact that the new album will not be released until 2017 bodes really well for a fall release for "The Seeds of Love" box set. Let's hope that's what happens anyway! :)

Back