Steven Wilson An Update on Steven Wilson's Remix Work

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From Steven Wilson's facebook page today:

I'll be appearing on Facebook Live for a Q&A session on Thursday 4th August (exact time will be announced closer to the date). I'll read and answer your comments and questions in realtime on that date, but it would be great to also have some beforehand.So if you'd like to post your questions in the comments below,*Rob*my web guy will collate the best ones, and you may well find me answering them on the 4th. Feel free to be imaginative with your questions, let's make this interesting!For those that won't be able to watch the Q&A session live, it will be posted in full on the*Steven Wilson*Facebook page after the broadcast.

From Steven Wilson's facebook page today:

I'll be appearing on Facebook Live for a Q&A session on Thursday 4th August (exact time will be announced closer to the date). I'll read and answer your comments and questions in realtime on that date, but it would be great to also have some beforehand.So if you'd like to post your questions in the comments below,*Rob*my web guy will collate the best ones, and you may well find me answering them on the 4th. Feel free to be imaginative with your questions, let's make this interesting!For those that won't be able to watch the Q&A session live, it will be posted in full on the*Steven Wilson*Facebook page after the broadcast.

My question:
Can you give us an update on when your remix of "Roxy Music" will be released? Also, have you or will you be remixing more albums for Roxy Music in the future? Thanks!

:)

Interview: Steven Wilson talks Porcupine Tree to solo work and beyond, hits Phoenix on Nov. 9 » http://www.azcentral.com/story/entertainment/music/2016/11/07/steven-wilson-interview/93454442/
Q: In addition to your prolific recording career, for the past few years you have been remixing classic prog-rock albums from the ’70s, like Jethro Tull’s “Aqualung” and Yes’s “Close to the Edge.” What are the favorites you’ve done?

A: A lot of my favorite remix projects have been the ones I've done for artists that wouldn't fit your description, like XTC, Chicago, Roxy Music, Simple Minds, etc. Right now I'd say that my most rewarding remix project to date has been Tears For Fears’ "Seeds of Love" album, which I finished recently and should be released early next year. It's one of my favorite albums of all time, and a great example of what we've been talking about; ambitious and creative pop with incredible production and musicianship that always works in service to the songs. It was a real challenge because of the sophistication in the production and arrangements, but it sounds incredible in 5.1 surround sound. It may not be as well-known as the previous album “Songs From the Big Chair” (of which my remix came out last year), but I think “Seeds of Love” is their masterpiece.

Interview: Steven Wilson talks Porcupine Tree to solo work and beyond, hits Phoenix on Nov. 9 » http://www.azcentral.com/story/entertainment/music/2016/11/07/steven-wilson-interview/93454442/
Q: In addition to your prolific recording career, for the past few years you have been remixing classic prog-rock albums from the ’70s, like Jethro Tull’s “Aqualung” and Yes’s “Close to the Edge.” What are the favorites you’ve done?

A: A lot of my favorite remix projects have been the ones I've done for artists that wouldn't fit your description, like XTC, Chicago, Roxy Music, Simple Minds, etc. Right now I'd say that my most rewarding remix project to date has been Tears For Fears’ "Seeds of Love" album, which I finished recently and should be released early next year. It's one of my favorite albums of all time, and a great example of what we've been talking about; ambitious and creative pop with incredible production and musicianship that always works in service to the songs. It was a real challenge because of the sophistication in the production and arrangements, but it sounds incredible in 5.1 surround sound. It may not be as well-known as the previous album “Songs From the Big Chair” (of which my remix came out last year), but I think “Seeds of Love” is their masterpiece.

The first two lines that I highlighted are key for two reasons.
One, "The Seeds of Love" release early next year? Heck yes, I'll gladly celebrate that!
But also, he officially mentions Chicago, so I have to ask, what the heck is he doing for Chicago and when will we hear it?

Porcupine Tree's Steven Wilson remixes prog-rock's past
AudioFile
http://www.csindy.com/coloradosprin...n-remixes-prog-rocks-past/Content?oid=4156659
'They don't like me to mess with what they grew up with,' says Wilson of progressive rock's purists.

This part stood out to me:
Some of the titles he's remixed haven't come out yet, including albums from Chicago and acts associated with the 1980s: XTC and Tears for Fears.

Albums (plural) from Chicago?! So it looks like multiple albums, but which ones? Guess we'll have to wait and find out! :)

Albums (plural) from Chicago?! So it looks like multiple albums, but which ones? Guess we'll have to wait and find out! :)

That's pretty crazy when you think about it. We just got all their quads on blu-ray and now we'll have Steven Wilson-mixed 5.1s? If only we could be so lucky with Santana, Eagles, Billy Joel, etc....

Sort of freaks me out really. I mean, wouldn't it likely be from some of the same discs on Quadio? But, I have NO doubt that Steve could go ape-shit with Chicago stu:mad:@:ff. I'd surely double dip.

That's pretty crazy when you think about it. We just got all their quads on blu-ray and now we'll have Steven Wilson-mixed 5.1s? If only we could be so lucky with Santana, Eagles, Billy Joel, etc....

Well we still don't know the extent of what Steven Wilson is doing for Chicago, and I'm not just referring to not knowing all of the albums he is remixing for Chicago. We don't even know if these Chicago remixes will be released in both stereo & surround sound.
Until more information is revealed, what Steven Wilson is doing for Chicago could be any number of possibilities…

Pretty sure that was meant as "albums from Chicago, XTC, and Tears For Fears."

Who knows what the wording really meant, but we definitely know of at least one Chicago album that is being remixed (from SW's twitter page) plus "The Seeds of Love" (from Tears for Fears) and another classic XTC album (from their Virgin catalogue) should also arrive in 2017, and that's cause enough for celebration! :)

The part that astounds me is when he says he could have done remixes for the remainder, but his music is important first.

I would agree.:sun His music is very important to us fans. (Hoping for more No Man 5.1)

Refer all unfullfilled offers , via Jakko , etc.(y)

Steven put a lengthy post on Facebook today:

This is my customary end of year post reflecting on the last 12 months, and looking forward to the next year. 2018 has been one of almost non-stop touring, myself and the band having just finished the latest leg of the To the Bone tour. We now stand at 115 shows since we started in January. The visuals, the music, the chemistry in the current line up of the band, and the audience responses have made perhaps the most fulfilling touring experience of my career. If you got to see the show I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did, but if you didn't get to see it a reminder that the recently released Home Invasion concert film is available on Blu-Ray/2CD and DVD/2CD (also as stand alone editions without the CDs), filmed at the Royal Albert Hall during a 3 night residency there in March. A beautifully packaged limited 5LP vinyl box set edition will also be issued in March, featuring expanded artwork and an LP of additional music not included on the CDs.

The show itself has evolved a lot over the year. Recently some older material came back into the set, and I've given the band a few more songs to recap on before we leave for what will be the final leg of the tour. This starts in Lisbon on 15th Jan, and finishes with shows in Russia and Ukraine in early March, after which I'm done with live performances for the foreseeable future, so this will be absolutely the last chance to see the To the Bone show. I'll be spending the rest of the year (after a holiday!) developing new music. One thing I'm very proud of with all my albums is that none of them sound alike, each has its own musical signature, and the next one will be no exception. Based on what I've written so far it's certainly going to be significantly different again. Expect the fruits of this work some time in 2020.

In the meantime the first new no-man music in more than 10 years is likely to be released in 2019. Myself and Tim Bowness have been working sporadically on a particular musical idea we came up with many years ago, something we knew would require a dedicated full length album to explore properly. We finally made a concerted effort to get it into shape earlier this year, and with one more push I hope it will soon be ready to release. It's music that in many ways sees a return to our roots as a synth-pop band, albeit with the conceptual sweep of our more recent albums.

On the classic album remixing front, I've reluctantly had to decline most projects of this kind recently in order to concentrate on my own music. But one project I did take on was a substantial TANGERINE DREAM box set focussing on the golden 70's Virgin Records era - although this is strictly speaking not a "remix" project, as the majority of my work was selecting and mixing previously unreleased studio recordings, 3 full CD's worth in fact. For a TD fan this should be a pretty mind blowing release, and if all goes to plan it should be out in the Spring. I have also been slowly moving towards finishing another remix in the XTC series, as well as one more Jethro Tull album, 1979's Stormwatch, I would expect both to be late 2019 releases.

It only remains for me to say thanks for all your continued support over the last year and have a wonderful 2019! SW - 31st Dec 2018

Clarifying that the Tangerine Dream box set was not [in his words] "strictly speaking a remix project" and basically adds three full CDs of newly remixed unreleased studio material to the set doesn't bode well in my mind as to the rumored 'surround' content of this box set.

As always, I wish Steve Wilson well in all his endeavors and glad to see we will be awarded new XTC, no~man and Jethro Tull [Stormwatch] 5.1 remixes later this year....and just maybe [finally] The Seeds of Love!

Last edited:
Back