HiRez Poll Anathema - WE'RE HERE BECAUSE WE'RE HERE [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Anathema - WE'RE HERE BECAUSE WE'RE HERE

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this DVD-A release from KScope. (n):phones(y)

Attachments

• Anathema_Back_Cover.jpg
    Anathema_Back_Cover.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 515
  • Anathema_Cover.jpg
    Anathema_Cover.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 518
I am really pleased with this title. Excellent surround mix and content. I will give this fine effort a 10.

Much like PT, I'd have never heard this group without this board. Thanks to all of you!

Beautiful music, phenomenal mix by Mr. Wilson.

10 here.

Hello. I've played this either in my car or at home in 5.1 EVERY day since I received it via ROYAL MAIL. Never hearing them before, it took a few listens to grasp what they were up to. This is great stuff, indeed. A wonderful musical journey (not to be corny!). The SW mix is stellar, per usual. With every mix he does, I'm hearing more and more restraint regarding active panning, a la his first mixes in tandem with Elliot Schiener. Just great surround sound placements. Frontwall, sidewall, and rears. Add it to your 5.1 quiver if you enjoy your music on the rockier, heavier, but also beautiful side. Sorry, not a real technincal reviewer. My aural emotions drive my comments.Thanks.

This is again one of those albums that I would not have bought if it wouldn't have been in surround, but I'm glad to have it now.
The mix is very nice with good use of all channels and the music is a pleasant taste of rock with a lot of vocal arrangements. I think it deserves a 9 at least.

Sorry for the double post elsewhere, but this where this belongs

Hello. To anyone interested in this disc, please read the attached review kindly supplied by Chiburt (Chiburb?). This review says it all, and I feel every comment written there is a perfect representation of what this disc is, and does for the me, the listener. Thanks

Wasn't aware of this DVDA (or Anathema) before seeing it here! (y)

Great album -I find myself listening to this one quite a lot - recommended from my point of view - I might even have to get some of their other albums on CD :yikes.

I know they have changed their style over time but its interesting that it was filed under Metal in the local records store!!

While searching for the Anathema live BD, which did not show up in the search results, I did see that the We're Here gets a re-release as a cd/dvd-a set. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Were-Here-B...LCGC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362334376&sr=8-2

2 Disc media book edition of Anathema's acclaimed full length Kscope debut. Anathema returned in 2010 with their first collection of new material since the 2003 album, 'A Natural Disaster'. A multi coloured, multi layered work of unbridled emotion, passion and intensity the album was acclaimed across the globe. Anathema have been at the forefront of the UK rock/metal movement for many years. They began their journey as pioneers of melodic heavy music, influencing a myriad of bands to follow them, before outgrowing all genres and limitations as they fearlessly explored new territory and new ways to express feeling through sound. This 2 Disc Media book edition of the album comes packed in a rigid digi-book with a 16 page booklet and features the album on CD plus a DVD-A with a 5.1 surround mix of the album, which comes courtesy of Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree).

If it is a real dvd-a is uncertain these days, but we will know soon enough.

Still a great album. It was my first SW mixed album I bought without knowing the band or music. And I never looked back :D

I've been an Anathema fan for many years and so had extremely high expectations when I heard that "We're here because we're here" was going to be mixed and released in 5.1. Maybe my expectations (after listening to all of SW's Porcupine Tree and No Man 5.1 mixes) were probably slightly too high as, although I absolutely love the album, I think the 5.1 could have been considerably better. My problem with the mix boils down, I think, to the percussion. I was expecting clarity and careful placement of the drum parts as I'm used to with GH and Porcs, but it's just not there. It sounds like the percussion had already been mixed down before being incorporated into the surround mix; it's muddy and the lacks colour and impact, particularly at the top end. I should state (for clarity) that the album and the rest of the mix is exceptional. It's just that it could have been considerably better if the percussion had been up to the standards I'm used to on SW's other mixes. I give it a 7 when I was expecting to be able to give it a 10.

I should add that I'm really pleased to read comments on this forum to the effect of people discovering Anathema though their surround mixes. They're a wonderful band and deserve to be heard by more people. Great live too, if you get the chance!

Hey- I kinda agree here. But I have to imagine the recording quality from the get-go wasn't as top shelf as Steven is used to be working with. IMO. Thanks.

Hey- I kinda agree here. But I have to imagine the recording quality from the get-go wasn't as top shelf as Steven is used to be working with. IMO. Thanks.

Think you have hit the nail on the head here, Patrick. This album was a *very* long time in the making; several tracks appeared in different forms years earlier and there were times when fans thought the band had disappeared. I strongly suspect that there may have been little or no scope to control some aspects of the production.

While searching for the Anathema live BD, which did not show up in the search results, I did see that the We're Here gets a re-release as a cd/dvd-a set. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Were-Here-B...LCGC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362334376&sr=8-2

If it is a real dvd-a is uncertain these days, but we will know soon enough.

Still a great album. It was my first SW mixed album I bought without knowing the band or music. And I never looked back :D

Came across this new edition at a Media Market store. It has a new catalogue number, kscope251, in the same media book as the first release. And it IS a dvd-a/v, nice!

Seems there is a discount campaign in NL, a lot of kscope two disc editions for only €9,99, including this one and most of the Porcupine Tree cd/dvd-a sets. Bargain prices :D

Amazon.co uk has it listed for oly ÂŁ8.64.

This was one of my first DVD-Audio purchases and one I play consistently. It's hard for me to separate the music from the mix because I perceive the music as an aggressive, "wall of sound" approach--or maybe walls of sound. Overall, I think I like it even better than Weather Systems, in terms of music. I have the version with the seven inch record, CD, and DVD. I'm tempted to get the media book version because, for one thing, my DVD had scratches on it when I opened the package (slots in cardboard). It has never affected playback, but I wouldn't mind having the booklet, either.

Can't remember ever listening to this album in full (and I certainly never reviewed it or voted), so here it goes:

Love the first song "Thin Air", but I wish the "impact" had a little more power. Seems a little thin and weak. Maybe a little more bass is what it needs. On the other hand, I love the harmonies a lot, and they work nicely in the surrounds.
Same goes for the harmonies on "Summernight Horizon". At least on this song you can really feel the impact of that great drum part. When the guitars come in, however, it muddies things up a little bit.
Track 3 "Dreaming Light" is a wonderful ballad, complemented by a wonderful strings mix. At times, it reminds me a bit of Coldplay, Keane, and Sigur Ros. Very lovely indeed!
Like on most of Steven Wilson's other surround mixes, the lead vocal sounds great emanating from the center channel, especially on a track like "Everything". This track also has a great impact when the full band enters that the first track is missing somewhat.
Harmonies are also strong on a track like "Angels Walk Among Us", which leads right into "Presence" with a really great spoken word part that starts off the track.
Then after that, you are led right into "A Simple Mistake", another beautiful track, followed by the hypnotic sounding "Get Off Get Out", with its repeating rhythmic patterns.
The strings on the track "Universal" really work well in surround, but again, I could use a little more bass on this one. But then, the final epic closer of "Hindsight" comes thundering in, making for a truly spectacular finish.
I was originally going to vote '8' on this title, but this listen has proven to me that it is definitely deserving of a '9'.
I would recommend picking up this DVD-A if you can find it for a great price. :)

Just picked this up off eBay and received today, came with a CD, DVD-A and to my surprise a 7"LP. But what really surprised me is how great the 5.1 mix is along with what great character the music has. On my second listen now.

Just picked this up off eBay and received today, came with a CD, DVD-A and to my surprise a 7"LP. But what really surprised me is how great the 5.1 mix is along with what great character the music has. On my second listen now.
Agreed. One of my favorite albums ever. The SW surround mix is fantastic. I really wish he would've done the surround mix for the other Anathema albums.

Just got this ebay$14.00 free delivery out of Vancouver. Simply outstanding. I love this Band. Very under rated. CD/ dvd audio. Holy smokes what a deal. And steven Wilson's 5.1.

Back