Andy Jackson "Twelve Half Steps" (New album mixed in 5.1 & Dolby Atmos!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Well this is a surprise!
A new album from our old pal Andy Jackson (Pink Floyd engineer and producer)

Andy Jackson: Twelve Half Steps, CD & Blu Ray Edition - Cherry Red Records

Released May 26, 2023.
• THE SUPERB NEW STUDIO ALBUM BY GRAMMY AWARD WINNING PINK FLOYD ENGINEER / CO-PRODUCER ANDY JACKSON.
• INCLUDES A BLU RAY DISC WITH 96 kHz / 24-BIT 5.1 SURROUND SOUND AND DOLBY ATMOS MIXES.

This eagerly awaited follow up to Andy Jackson’s acclaimed album ‘Signal To Noise’ (2014) and ‘73 Days At Sea’ (2016) sees this original musician and producer explore new musical ground to great effect.

‘Twelve Half Steps’ is a purely instrumental album; a fascinating collection of compositions in modal scales.

Andy explains: “Twelve half steps; Twelve modal scales; Twelve blank sheets of paper with rigid frames. Twelve exercises in style. Twelve rocks turned over, twelve objects underneath, each one half expected, half revealed.
The limitations were opportunities. Start walking in a prescribed direction, get to the corner, see what’s round that. The rigidity of the start creating a freedom of movement once in the landscape, knowing that there are no wrong answers. It’s not a bug, it’s a feature. Each piece was started and finished before the next was considered. Each piece stands on its own, but they are linked as the same steps were traced on again and again. The same shapes but painted with different colours each time.”

As one would expect of a musician, engineer and producer of the pedigree of Andy Jackson, this new album is once again nothing short of impressive, both sonically and musically. The release also features a Blu Ray disc featuring stunning 96 kHz / 24-bit 5.1 Surround Sound and Dolby Atmos Mixes. ‘Twelve Half Steps’ is one of the most original and impressive albums of the year.

AJ-TWELVE-STEPS-Cover-LRG-min.jpg

Well this is a surprise!

Released May 26, 2023.
• THE SUPERB NEW STUDIO ALBUM BY GRAMMY AWARD WINNING PINK FLOYD ENGINEER / CO-PRODUCER ANDY JACKSON.
• INCLUDES A BLU RAY DISC WITH 96 kHz / 24-BIT 5.1 SURROUND SOUND AND DOLBY ATMOS MIXES.

This eagerly awaited follow up to Andy Jackson’s acclaimed album ‘Signal To Noise’ (2014) and ‘73 Days At Sea’ (2016) sees this original musician and producer explore new musical ground to great effect.

‘Twelve Half Steps’ is a purely instrumental album; a fascinating collection of compositions in modal scales.

Andy explains: “Twelve half steps; Twelve modal scales; Twelve blank sheets of paper with rigid frames. Twelve exercises in style. Twelve rocks turned over, twelve objects underneath, each one half expected, half revealed.
The limitations were opportunities. Start walking in a prescribed direction, get to the corner, see what’s round that. The rigidity of the start creating a freedom of movement once in the landscape, knowing that there are no wrong answers. It’s not a bug, it’s a feature. Each piece was started and finished before the next was considered. Each piece stands on its own, but they are linked as the same steps were traced on again and again. The same shapes but painted with different colours each time.”

As one would expect of a musician, engineer and producer of the pedigree of Andy Jackson, this new album is once again nothing short of impressive, both sonically and musically. The release also features a Blu Ray disc featuring stunning 96 kHz / 24-bit 5.1 Surround Sound and Dolby Atmos Mixes. ‘Twelve Half Steps’ is one of the most original and impressive albums of the year.
Excellent news. I remember reading somewhere that Andy Jackson had retired, so this is a nice surprise. I really enjoy his first 2 albums.

Andy has always been gracious to this forum for a long time with his time and his conversations, and I certainly will be supporting this release by getting one for me! These days I seem to enjoy more music without vocals for some reason so this sounds like a winner already! I will be looking forward to this

Well this is a surprise!

Released May 26, 2023.

AJ-TWELVE-STEPS-Cover-LRG-min.jpg
Ordered! Thanks for sharing the link.

More Andy Jackson in my collection is always going to be welcome. I love a lot of instrumental music and Andy's mixes are nice and immersive...easy decision for me.

Heh...maybe Andy and Stephen W Tayler should do a QQ exclusive album together!?!

Back