Andy Jackson's "73 Days At Sea" in 5.1 released 29 January 2016

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was Ray Shulman this time. Same audio formats as before. DTS 96/24 5.1 Surround, Dolby AC3 5.1 Surround, 96/24 Stereo LPCM. Ray tells me it's a DVDv, I'd put DVDa on the artwork but he pulled me up about this. Lovely job he's done too.

Thanks, sad it won't have a DVDA layer, sure wish Ray Shulman would know how to do that as then we would get a lossless recording and I would have been able to play the disk in the car commute which I won't be able to do now.
Oh well, will still keep my order.

Alright, I just finished my first full listen in surround sound to "73 Days at Sea".
The music and surround mix is very comparable to Andy's first album "Signal to Noise", but there's two differences this time around.
The first difference (a musical difference) is the addition of a female vocalist (Anne Marie Heider) and saxophone player (David Jackson, no relation) on the 9th track entitled "Drownings", and both of the additions fit in very well with Andy's music.
The second difference is that unlike "Signal to Noise" (which was a 4.0 mix) this is a 5.1 surround mix, complete with Andy's vocal in the center channel, and I love it! (Thanks for coming over to the 'light' side, Andy!) ;)

Finally, once a poll is put up, I'm probably going to give this an '8', breaking my vote down this way:

Content: 2.5/3
Surround Mix: 3/3
Fidelity: 2.5/3
High-Res Disc: 0/1

(The slight issue I have with the fidelity is that at times, the mix sounds rather thin and tinny, and I think it's coming from the sampled drums, particularly the hi-hat and cymbals. It didn't sound that way all the time, but occasionally it did, and it detracted from all of the other wonderful and pleasant sounds that Andy has coalesced together for this album.)

I just gave the disc a couple of listens. For those who may be curious it's DTS 96/24 5.1-channel. Not lossless but very good - my ears can't tell the difference.

Sonically, I found everything to be crisp and well placed in the surround field. Maybe a slight criticism of slightly too much bass towards the last songs of the disc. Maybe slightly... Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing. It's enjoyable to play a disc that I'm not immediately wondering if my settings are correct. This disc is, once again for Andy Jackson, another disc that you can setup your system with.

Enjoyed the music and you're right, Anne Marie Heider's vocal really sets "Drownings" apart and is really good - my favorite track on the album.

Once we have a poll, I'll likely end up with a 9 for 73 Days at Sea.

Andy

I must get round to listening to this! It was waiting for me when I got back from The Giants Of Rock weekend (Mostly Autumn, Mick Ralphs Band, Wishbone Ash, Stray & Nazareth were all really good :music, shame about the beer :(), then work got in the way :violin

Another fantastic work! I just recieved mine yesterday, and after one listen, it is stunning! Thanks Andy!

Back