Quad LP/Tape Poll Anka, Paul: The Painter [QS]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "The Painter"

• 10: Great Sound, Great Mix, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: So-So

• 1: Bad Sound, Bad Mix, Bad Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Paul's 1976 concept album [United Artists UA-LA653-G] with the Andy Warhol cover.

Side 1:

1. (You Bring Out) The Best In Me
2. Wildflower
3. The Painter
4. Closing Doors
5. Happier

Side 2:

1. Living Isn't Living
2. Aldous (Instrumental)
3. I'll Help You
4. Never Gonna Fall In Love Again (Like I Fell In Love With You)
5. Do I Love You? (Yes, In Every Way)
6. Prelude/You Bring Out The Best In Me (Reprise)

ED :)

The thing I was most impressed about when listening to this LP was how great the mix actually sounded. Not necessarily the quad mix as much as the punch and depth of the mix. I did no EQ to the record in any way. The only thing I did was get rid of a few clicks. Other than that, on this one, what you hear is exactly what is on the vinyl. As far as the music goes... it is what it is. Definitely adult contemporary. The instrumental "Aldous" features a solo by Herb Alpert and IMO is quite good. It is not the best album ever but I enjoyed working on it and it is one I could throw on every once in a while. My main purpose for doing it was that I had never seen a conversion of it before. Oh... and I bought the LP for $3... you can't beat that.

Q,

This was 1976, and a QS title; presumably, the 8-track and cassette 'stereo' tapes were also QS encoded, but no dedicated Q8 was made of this title (AFAIK).

ED :)

Just curious. It's listed in the Discography as QS & Q8, but I've never seen the Q8. Was this the only UA QS LP release?

Did anyone notice this? On the UK vinyl release, the QS notation is absent from the back cover and the label. I would be very surprised if they made a separate stereo-only master for the foreign market; then again, they would have had to purposely pulled it off the cover art so maybe it was intentional. Thoughts?
United Artists-UK UAG 29957 A1035[2].jpg

I just paid $5 for a sealed copy of this that included shipping. I couldn't pass it up! The music wasn't bad. Relatively relaxing. I call stuff like this, "inoffensive music." I don't think anyone could hate it, it's just nothing to love either. After hearing that horn on Aldous, I had to look into the notes. Yes, it was Herb Alpert . Fantastic. As far as the surround, rather uneventful. I tried both my Sansui Vario Matrix and the Surround Master. Both about the same. The rear channels didn't do much. Was it worth the $4.99 that included shipping? Hell yes.

Back