Anne Murray "I'll Be Seeing You" DualDisc (DVD-A)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
In my everending search for new MC content - here's one for all you easy listening fans - I myself a Crimhead and Zappa fan will admit to owning (and liking) the Carpenters SACD so go figure...

Captiol has re-released Anne Murray's 2005 collection of standards, "I'll Be Seeing You" as a DualDisc with 96/24 advanced res DVD-A as an option. If you still get misty eyed when you hear her honey coated vocals on "Snowbird", then this is for you.

Now if you really want to have a party - make an Anne Murray/Bjork mix disc and blow everyone's mind! :D

Wow! A 96/24 DVD-A from Capitol? That's a surprise. I'd love to hear the story behind that one - and if there are more to be released from other Capitol artists. Which leads me to the Fly Like an Eagle release - - why wasn't that one a DVD-A!! :(

You've got to be kidding. They're wasting time putting together an Anne Murray 5.1, an entertainer, who was criticized back in the 70's that she should be arrested for loitering in front of an orchestra; instead of other artists who can sell large numbers in 5.1 (good quality artists). Now you know that this industry is being run by half wits/Trainman 92

I am going to rejoin the club to buy this one. These old songs are favorites of mine and although I haven't heard her sing them, I expect this to be pretty good.

Chris

The DVD Audio side of "I'll Be Seeing You" offers superior audio options and a DVD menu that allows the consumer to pick their preferred audio option. There are four audio options:
96 kHz/24 Bit 5.1 Surround
96 kHz/24 Bit Stereo
Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
Dolby Digital Stero.

You've got to be kidding. They're wasting time putting together an Anne Murray 5.1, an entertainer, who was criticized back in the 70's that she should be arrested for loitering in front of an orchestra; instead of other artists who can sell large numbers in 5.1 (good quality artists). Now you know that this industry is being run by half wits/Trainman 92

I really don't think that the point is whether Anne Murray is "deserving" of 5.1 treatment - that is a rather elitist point of view. It certainly is a left field choice in light of the spate of advanced res titles. However, Capitol or EMI Canada may have released this at her request or her management's request. Allmusic Guide gives this a pretty good review http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=ADFEAEE47D1BDA4DAF7320C89D2A4DDAB97AE029DF4CF6C01D2F47498BE5661881006AB613A4DED2B3FA75B235AEF52EAD500DD3DA8E2B&sql=10:fmdfyl15xpcb- noting the orchestral arrangements - maybe somebody in the marketing dept at the label thought that this might just be perfect for her fans - an older crowd that might actually sit still for longer than 5 minutes to enjoy being surrounded by her music.

Who knows? I certainly don't want to discourage the labels from putting out any type of music in surround - I'll take 96/24 DVD-A, DTS, DD 5.1 whatever - I'm waiting for Frankie Yankovich and the Polka Kings in 5.1 - now that will be hot! :D

Too bad they didn't release Anne Murray's greatest hits in surround. i would have bought that.

I guess being desperate for 5.1 has overdone our buying common sense. Probably Capitol and EMI are counting on that, dumping their inexpensive catalog titles that they still have to convert to 5.1 (so it's not cheap) so that leaves out the management deal. How about the Beatles? (Michael Jackson needs the money, I'm sure he'll sell back the Beatles catalog to Paul McCartney). Or let's go out on a limb, how about Switched on Bach? That would be great in 5.1./trainman92

I am surprised this album was released as a 5.1 DualDisc DVD-A but there must be a market for the 30 to 70 year old standards. I have the Linda Ronstadt 5.1 DVD-A "What's New" and the Michael Feinstein 5.1 SACD with the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra treatment of old standards and think both are great. Beats me if these albums of old standards sell well, I sure didn't think so, but Rod Stewart keeps on releasing albums of the songs. I started listening to current treatments of the songs when Willie Nelson released "Stardust" around 1979. There has been a continual stream of other current artists releasing similar albums ever since.

Anne Murray is a competent singer and I will buy this and not mention that to my teenaged children.

Chris

by the way ROD STEWERT IS COMING OUT WITH A NEW CLASSIC ROCK RELEASE WITH SOME REAL GOOD OLD FREINDS LIKE RON WOOD/TRAINMAN92

Wow! A 96/24 DVD-A from Capitol? That's a surprise. I'd love to hear the story behind that one - and if there are more to be released from other Capitol artists. Which leads me to the Fly Like an Eagle release - - why wasn't that one a DVD-A!! :(

It's not their first; I have "Crowded House", by the group of the same name, on Dual Disc, as well as the DVD-A.

Yourmusic has already gotten this one to me and I can confirm it is a DVD-A with 96kHz/24-Bit 5.1. I am sure I have every song on this album done better by other artists, Nat King Cole, Linda Ronstadt, Judy Garland, Frank Sinatra, Rosemary Clooney, etc. etc. The surround mix won't wow anybody either but I like the album and well worth the price but she could use a little sex appeal in her delivery. Apparently a guy subbed for "What'll I Do", surely no woman could deliver that version of that song. Compared to Linda Ronstadt's version, this one is flat. Very subtle surround mix but good use of the center channel for the most part.

For my tastes this 2006 re-issue in DualDisc DVD-A is clearly one of the best I will see all year so for that I am grateful EMI, good job! I will get more play out of this than I would the entire catalog from most current popular artists.

Chris

I just checked a local Best Buy to see if they had this one, and they didn't. I suppose I'll have to order it on line. If the sound is as good as you say, Chris, I know I'll enjoy it, too. I've always liked Anne Murray's music.

I just checked a local Best Buy to see if they had this one, and they didn't. I suppose I'll have to order it on line. If the sound is as good as you say, Chris, I know I'll enjoy it, too. I've always liked Anne Murray's music.

It is a very competent recording, you should find it worthwhile if you like these old standards. I do like Linda Ronstadt's "What's New?" better, both performance and mix is better in my opinion, but I am delighted to have this one as well. It is such a surprise to have this released in 2006, I can only hope we will see some more from EMI.

Chris

There have been some rumors floating around that EMI might offer the Beach Boys' "Pet Sounds" on Dual Disc. I enjoyed the DVD-A, so the DD should be good, too. EMI did a good job with "Crowded House", self-titled album, on DD and DVD-A, so with some luck they'll actually get off their duffs and give us what we want: more surround sound! BTW... I did finally locate a copy of the Anne Murray dual disc at my local FYE music store, and I will confirm it's an awesome sounding recording. The surround mix is understated but effective, and the sonics are crisp, clean, and a showcase for Anne's voice. Some of the arrangements are countrified, but it all comes together into a nice package that makes you feel good. Chris, you were right on the money. And Elmer, thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Jay

Last edited:
Wow! What an excellent disc. It sounds absolutely superb. I'm playing it back on a system with neither centre speaker nor sub at the moment. I cannot imagine that either could improve upon it.

Wow! What an excellent disc. It sounds absolutely superb. I'm playing it back on a system with neither centre speaker nor sub at the moment. I cannot imagine that either could improve upon it.

It truly is a superb recording, but the center channel and sub really do enhance it. Anne's voice is clear as a bell, and as vibrant as ever. I hope there's more to come.

I looked on Amazon and didn't see it. Don't know how I missed it in 2006. What is the product number? Would love to pick this up as you say, for pennies. I did find it, but it was expensive in both places. Amazon didn't have it.

Back