Another British newbie to Quad!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottmoose

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Hi everyone. Yes, I'm another Quad newbie. I've been interested in all things quad for a while, but as I'm only 23, I missed it first time round (curses!) Anyway, as you'll have guessed, I stumbled across your home here & you've given me a kick-start to get into quad myself. I've been reading the suggestions made earlier to other newcomers & have decided to look at some of the earlier equipment rather than going down the DPL-II route (sounds like more fun to me). What equipment would you suggest I look out for as a starting point for my first steps in quad? I'm thinking more toward matrixed SQ / QS for a start before looking at CD-4?

Not to be a party pooper or anything , But you may want to look at getting a system with 5.1 or more inputs and still have the ability to have SQ QS CD4 And / d.t.s. DVD-A-SACD some old some new with the proper decoders linked in pre / or post I do this for my d.t.s. encoding and have the best of both worlds Quad and Digital surround/ and anolouge surround ! Just my thoughts / you might want the new after the old and save a step in between!

A receiver such as the Sansui QRX 7001 is an excellent place to start. but you may want to go to something else later, since that restricts you to four channels. CD-4 demodulators are easy enough to find, but the matrix outboard decoders are more difficult. Any Tate or Variomatrix outboard will cost you on Ebay. That is why the Sansui is such a good starting point. It has a Variomatrix (QS) decoder that will also handle SQ, and it has a CD-4 demodulator. Note that many DTS recordings are just quad remasters, the center and bass channels being contrived from the four channels, and are not necessary for a complete listening experience. This includes some of the commercially released material. Be prepared to have to work on the gear, because of it's age, but the Sansui stuff is of good quality, So, Happy Hunting!

The Quadfather

Thanks for the welcome & the all the advice everyone -much appreciated. 'Looks like a consensus that the Sansui 7001 is a good starting point.
One quick question regarding the new formats if / when I go down that road: any suggestion about which might be the safer bet (I hesitate to use the word 'better' -Beta / VHS anyone?!) out of SACD / DVD-A? I have heard that some uinversal players are making an appearance shortly though.

Hello and welcome!

I would agree with Rob. You are much better off getting a modern receiver with discrete inputs. You can then buy vintage outboard quadraphonic decoders/demodulators that will integrate quite nicely. If you buy a vintage receiver, you are cutting off the potential to integrate the newer 5.1 and beyond surround technologies. But, if all you care about is 4.0, it can still be great fun!

Regards,
Cai

"any suggestion about which might be the safer bet (I hesitate to use the word 'better' -Beta / VHS anyone?!) out of SACD / DVD-A? I have heard that some uinversal players are making an appearance shortly though. "

The verdict is far from being deceided / and for the price of one of the do alls you could get one of each and a few of each formats discs! And then some !
Now going mobile is a totaly different story altogether! But we won't go into it here ! :rolleyes:
Rob

If money and time is a factor vintage Sansui is very workable. It is much easier and cheaper to get an outboard 5.1 decoder than a Tate for SQ and one of the rare Sansui QS outboards. So do your home work before you decide. The Sansui quad units ending with 01 are truely amazing at synthing quad from stereo. Scott I can't recomend the Marantz amp cause it doesn't have "Variomatrix".

Dave

You can always add a stereo amp of similar output power to provide the center and subwoofer channels, if you want more power on the subwoofer, use the preamp out on the stereo amp to feed a powered subwoofer. you then use the controls and switches on the stereo amp to control the center and subwoofer volume. You might even select a vintage Sansui stereo amp to aesthetically match the quad amp. Where there's a will, there's a way.

The Quadfather

I also missed Quad the first time round, and I am of a similar age to you (26). I live in London, and I am starting to amass a fair amount of Quad gear.
Reply back if you'd like to chat about any aspects of quad!!!

Cheers,

Dave.

I had all the matrix decoders in the 70's & found QS the most useful. SQ gives you a super panoramic sound.
I finally was able to get a Canadian Ambiosonic decoder which is better than anything I ever heard in the 70's. Look for a used decoder in the UK. Ambisonics is a great British invention that came while Quad was being phased out and was not marketed correctly. Look up the Ambiosonic siites. New models are expensive;especiially the Meridian.

Back