Another Poll: 5.1 or 5.0?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5.1 or 5.0?

• Total voters

Mr. Afternoon

Mixing Engineer & Artist
Do I really need to put bass information in the sub if it's already there in the fronts? How many of you guys are bass managing?

EDIT: This poll is asking how I should deliver MY MUSIC to you guys.

Last edited:
I don't have a sub, just 4 full range + centre.

If 5.0 so the LFE channel is completely missing, maybe some amps etc. will not handle the channel associations correctly, so I would go 5.1 but with a silent but present LFE channel.
Updated poll.

This poll is more split than I thought it would be! Interesting. I would appreciate some more snippets of rationale to aid in my decision, if it's not too much to ask you guys.

My system is 4 full range towers and no sub. Although I don't have or need a sub, I would still prefer careful and judicious use of the LFE channel in a 5.1 mix. On the 5.1 of The Beatles 1+ blu-ray, the LFE sounds disjointed and overblown from the rest of the mix...essentially a fine example of careless and overblown use of the LFE.

I don't have a sub, just 4 full range + centre.

If 5.0 so the LFE channel is completely missing, maybe some amps etc. will not handle the channel associations correctly, so I would go 5.1 but with a silent but present LFE channel.
I don't understand what you mean by "a silent but present LFE channel." If it is silent, why have it present?
5.1 I says. Bass management with 1 sub round here.
Ah. The real issue is bass management or not, imho.
My current setup is 5.1 without bass management.

Back