Anthony Phillips "The Geese and the Ghost" in 5.1 :)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Palfreyman

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
http://www.anthonyphillips.co.uk/

"Ant's catalogue releases will continue in January 2015 with the release of a deluxe edition of his legendary debut album The Geese and the Ghost (featuring Mike Rutherford, Phil Collins and John Hackett) and which will include a new 5.1 Surround Sound mix of the album by Simon Heyworth. Further announcements on this will be made closer to release."

This is good to see in deed and fact that Steve Hackett hints that a couple of his albums coming out in 5.1, some good times ahead for Genesis fans. Hopefully the rest of the guys take note and followup with some more 5.1.
Peter Gabriels stuff just screams to be done in 5.1 and Phil,Tony and Mike have some good solo albums as well that would sound great in 5.1.

Finally, Ant gets some much needed attention. Fingers crossed this is just the start, would love to hear 'Sides' in surround, a knockout album. And dare i hope for '1984?

Finally, Ant gets some much needed attention. Fingers crossed this is just the start, would love to hear 'Sides' in surround, a knockout album. And dare i hope for '1984?

As my first post here, as both a fan of Phillips and a Surround Sound afficionado, I'd just like to heartily second these thoughts - 1984 and Slow Dance would both be *amazing* to hear in Surround!

Its interesting to note its from the Cherry Red re-issue label (now doing new releases as well) which has given us a few 5.1 re-mixes already, Tony Banks "A Curious Feeling" & Hawkwind's "Warrior On The Edge OF Time" spring to mind. Maybe there is more to come from them?

Let's hope so! They're a great company! I just wish they'd added the Quad mixes of all the Isley Brothers, O'Jays, Billy Paul, MFSB (and other Philadelphia International artists) albums they've reissued in the last few years..

Let's hope so! They're a great company! I just wish they'd added the Quad mixes of all the Isley Brothers, O'Jays, Billy Paul, MFSB (and other Philadelphia International artists) albums they've reissued in the last few years..

I've the Isley's 3+3 on SACD, I've never heard any of their SQ LP releases, but I'd buy any 4.0/5.1 of their stuff, great musicianship.

Its interesting to note its from the Cherry Red re-issue label (now doing new releases as well) which has given us a few 5.1 re-mixes already, Tony Banks "A Curious Feeling" & Hawkwind's "Warrior On The Edge OF Time" spring to mind. Maybe there is more to come from them?

The Esoteric guys (and gal) are big fans of the format and would love to do more but being a relatively small label they do find it "challenging" to justify in economic terms.

The Esoteric guys (and gal) are big fans of the format and would love to do more but being a relatively small label they do find it "challenging" to justify in economic terms.

Do they know there's 7,000+ QQ members, many of whom are chomping at the bit for more surround music?

If costs of 5.1 remix is prohibitive, let's have some Quad mixes! :p

I've the Isley's 3+3 on SACD, I've never heard any of their SQ LP releases, but I'd buy any 4.0/5.1 of their stuff, great musicianship.

I've never heard any of the other Isley Quads either (Live It Up, Heat Is On, Go For Your Guns, Harvest For The World) or the other O'Jays (Family Reunion, Survival, Message In The Music).. they seem to be v.uncommon indeed :(

The release date for this is the 9th March. No info on whether its a 5.1 DVDA, DD, or DTS, so I've just emailed them. I'm just ordering via the Cherry Red/Esoteric web site http://www.cherryred.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=4964

ANTHONY%20PHILLIPS%20Geese.jpg

• A 3 CD DEFINITIVE EDITION OF THIS SEMINAL 1977 DEBUT SOLO ALBUM BY GENESIS FOUNDER MEMBER ANTHONY PHILLIPS
• FEATURING PHIL COLLINS & MIKE RUTHERFORD
• WITH THIRTEEN BONUS TRACKS (INCLUDING THE PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED "ONLY YOUR LOVE” FEATURING PHIL COLLINS & MIKE RUTHERFORD)
• FEATURING AN NTSC / REGION FREE DVD OF A NEW 5.1 SURROUND SOUND MIX BY ANDY MYLES & SIMON HEYWORTH
• INCLUDES POSTER

Esoteric Recordings are proud to announce the release of the definitive edition of the 1977 seminal debut solo album by GENESIS founding member ANTHONY PHILLIPS, "The Geese and the Ghost”. The music album could arguably be seen to have begun life as far back as 1969, but in essence it was the result of nearly four years hard work by Anthony, in collaboration with MIKE RUTHERFORD (who co-wrote three of the pieces on the record), beginning with a series of recordings made on TEAC 4 track tape recorders, progressing to sessions on the barge studio of engineer Tom Newman. Enlisting the assistance of PHIL COLLINS, JOHN HACKETT, VIV McAULIFFE, JACK LANCASTER and many others, "The Geese and the Ghost” finally appeared in 1977 in America on the Passport label and in the UK on the Hit & Run imprint.

Lauded by many as a supreme achievement, this definitive of "The Geese and the Ghost” has been newly re-mastered from the original master tapes by Simon Heyworth and includes a stunning new 5.1 Surround Sound mix of the album by Andy Myles and Simon Heyworth, along with a CD of demos and early versions of the tracks on "Geese”. The bonus tracks are completed with the addition of both sides of an abortive single from 1973, ‘Silver Song’ and ‘Only Your Love’ (previously unreleased). Both tracks feature Phil Collins as vocalist.

This 3 disc clamshell box edition includes a lavishly illustrated booklet with new essay by Jonathan Dann and fully restores the original UK album artwork.
NB: This title is released 9th March 2015 and will not be dispatched until this date.

Track Listing:

DISC ONE
THE GEESE & THE GHOST:–
2014 REMASTER:

1. WIND – TALES
2. WHICH WAY THE WIND BLOWS
3. HENRY: PORTRAITS FROM TUDOR TIMES
i. FANFARE
ii. LUTE’S CHORUS
iii. MISTY BATTLEMENTS
iv. LUTE’S CHORUS (REPRISE)
v. HENRY GOES TO WAR
vi. DEATH OF A KNIGHT
vii. TRIUMPHANT RETURN
4. GOD IF I SAW HER NOW
5. CHINESE MUSHROOM CLOUD
6. THE GEESE AND THE GHOST
i. PART ONE
ii. PART TWO
7. COLLECTIONS
8. SLEEPFALL: THE GEESE FLY WEST

DISC TWO
BONUS TRACKS

1. MASTER OF TIME (DEMO)
2. TITLE INSPIRATION
3. THE GEESE AND THE GHOST – PART ONE (BASIC TRACK)
4. COLLECTIONS LINK
5. WHICH WAY THE WIND BLOWS (BASIC TRACK)
6. SILVER SONG (GEESE SESSIONS VERSION)
7. HENRY: PORTRAIT’S FROM TUDOR TIMES (BASIC VERSION)
i. FANFARE
ii. LUTE’S CHORUS
iii. LUTE’S CHROUS REPRISE
iv. MISTY BATTLEMENTS
8. COLLECTIONS (DEMO)
9. THE GEESE AND THE GHOST – PART TWO (BASIC TRACK)
10. GOD IF I SAW HER NOW (BASIC TRACK)
11. SLEEPFALL (BASIC TRACK)
12. SILVER SONG (1973 UNRELEASED SINGLE VERSION)
13. ONLY YOUR LOVE (1973) (PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)

DISC THREE: DVD
AUDIO ONLY DVD
(NTSC – REGION 0)

THE GEESE & THE GHOST
5.1 SURROUND SOUND MIX

1. WIND – TALES
2. WHICH WAY THE WIND BLOWS
3. HENRY: PORTRAITS FROM TUDOR TIMES
i. FANFARE
ii. LUTE’S CHORUS
iii. MISTY BATTLEMENTS
iv. LUTE’S CHORUS (REPRISE)