Anthony Phillips - "Wise After The Event" Coming in 5.1 surround?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG! You got that right. Hey, which reminds me...I need to see where my traveling Sabbath LP's are today....they were somewhere in Iowa the other day.

The Traveling Wilburys...I mean Sabbath...I made an order with Music Direct Saturday night and in order to get free shipping at $49 they send it Media Mail which is super slow...but hey..it's free...so I'll wait...it's not like I don't have enough new music to occupy my time...geeze...I spend all my time researching and buying these discs..and NOT enough time listening to them...

Ok..it's been pretty quiet on the forum lately concerning new releases...no real buzz going on...since Tusk... Idlewild South and Loaded are over now..we are in between releases...Andy Jackson is coming soon...but the Wise After The Event has had some price movement since I last posted..I've dumped both of the amazon orders...and I thought I'd share some of the prices at various sites to get some "juice" flowing again...so I will list the prices and you choose what's appealing to you...this might not help the folks across the pond...mainly the US customers..keep in mind several things...both DeepDiscount and importcds could have discounts prior to these releases...plus some like bullmoose has the shipping included in their price...and they don't charge tax...

Importcds
deepdiscount
bullmoose
amazon

Here's a nice 3D shot of the new Wise After The Event box set, showing all 4 discs, the illustrated booklet, and the rather cool re-pro poster advert which comes with the set, complete with lyrics on the reverse:
12645174_10153870019854814_8975372399373196989_n.jpg

:)

Just got an email from Burning Shed that my copy of "Wise After the Event" has just shipped. Looking forward to it! :)

That will work out great...I'm on the fence about this release and you will probably receive your copy before it's released in the US...that way we can get some input..

Oh I will definitely provide some feedback on this release once I get it in. You can be sure of that! :)

The first time I have heard this album, sounds good I like the music and Simon Heyward seems to be able to do very good to excellent surround mix.
Nicely authored by the opus team as well.

Mine's waiting at home for me, I should get a chance to listen to this evening. Looking forward to this, as I know the album very well.

Mine arrived today. I'm not sure this is the forum for any "review", I'll hunt for that one and place my vote, but you fans of Ant's work, especially this one, are going to be pretty happy. I've loved this album since I bought it around 1978, and have worn through the original vinyl, have the pic disc framed, bought an early CD issue, bought the deluxe 2 disc version, and now this one. The 5.1 mix is a stunner and reveals the depth this album has always held tight. It's wide open now, no spoilers, just wait and see. I expect the new stereo re-mix will be equally great.

Nice job Anthony Phillips and team!

If anyone is taking requests, I'd be crazy happy if his "Slow Wave Soft Stars" might get the big treatment.

Bill

If anyone is taking requests, I'd be crazy happy if his "Slow Wave Soft Stars" might get the big treatment.

Bill

I wouldn't count on that one getting mixed in 5.1 surround, just cause they have already released a deluxe edition combining together the first five Private Parts & Pieces albums without surround, so they might end up just doing the same thing for the remaining Private Parts & Pieces albums.

Just gave it a first spin. Despite being a huge Genesis fan all my life, I had never checked out any of Anthony's solo material until The Geese and the Ghost got its 5.1 mix a few months ago. This album has some very nice moments, although I enjoyed the other more. The mix is pretty nice too. Need a few more listens before I comment further, but if you like the music I don't see anyone being disappointed with this.

I wouldn't count on that one getting mixed in 5.1 surround, just cause they have already released a deluxe edition combining together the first five Private Parts & Pieces albums without surround, so they might end up just doing the same thing for the remaining Private Parts & Pieces albums.

Yep, I actually resigned that fact with Wise After The Event too, when the 2 disc version came out a few years back, I thought that was going to be it. And surprise! But I think you're right about "Slow Waves Soft Stars" (PP7), and really the same could be said about any of the Private Parts and Pieces releases, the chance of any surround release is near zero. I was just "wishing" on a Soft Star so to speak, and realize the chances are not good. It remains one of my favorite AP releases, so I tend to go overboard about it.

BTW, for those with the 2 disc set of Wise After The Event, disc 2 of outtakes/demos/instrumentals is the same as this clamshell release, but if you haven't heard it before, the instrumental mixes and early versions of these pieces are golden, and part of the magic that is Anthony Phillips. He sure had a great lineup of musicians in tow.

Back