Anti-Quad Screed

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfbkfb

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Beatty Stereo closed in 1986, I don't recall seeing Dolby Surround on demo there,
I also never heard the Audio Pulse Surround Sound simulator demonstrated.

Kirk Bayne

Attachments

• DB1.pdf
    589.4 KB · Views: 201
  • DB2.pdf
    550.5 KB · Views: 171
  • DB3.pdf
    631.9 KB · Views: 175
  • DB4.pdf
    409.1 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Kirk, it's notes like this that makes me think we might have crossed paths at sometime. Maybe you were the one with long hair hanging out at Volker Park in the 70's? Oh no, I mean I guess that was me.

The only purchase I made from Beatty was a Yamaha CD-3 3rd gen CD player. I hung out at the store quite & bit & was aware of David Beatty's stance on quad. There is bits & pieces of truth in what he says & some out right wrong such as the number of quad records released. Certainly in 1976 there was an abundance more than he listed. No systems is perfect & he chose to only point out the weak spots in each. He asks early on that the question of what quadraphonics is supposed to do. He should have read Peter Scheiber's AES paper Towards a More Spatial Environment.

Obviously Beatty did not sell quad equipment & $$ spent on that we're being spent somewhere else. I'm not sure if Accent Sound was around yet but an audio store from St. Louis was; Hi-Fi Fo Fum (the stereo store with the funny name). I was friends with the service tech there before he started working there & soon I was a Hi-Fi groupie. I traded in a lot of misc quad stuff & walked away with a new Kenwood 9940 receiver and quite a bit more over the years. Now all the staff at HFFF also did not not buy into quad. They referred to CD-4 as Compund Distortin to the 4th power. QS was Queer Stereo, etc. But they didn't try to discourage people from it. I liked a lot at both stores, spent most of bucks at just one because of the quad offerings.

Interesting documents, thanks for sharing.

Conversely, didn't B & O have at least one quad system? I recall one with the CD4 decoder in the turntable.

IMHO, Beatty Stereo could have at least promoted DynaQuad (and possibly sold more
Speakers).

The 4DD-5 Demod met Hi-Fi Standards, I don't know why Stereophile mag (allegedly)
stated that it didn't.

Kirk Bayne

Back