Anti-static removal on vinyl LPs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, that sounds exactly what I remember. THAT may have been the Watts Disc Preener, and I had those, but I also bought the ones with no reservoir inside, I'm drawing a blank on a name here though. The Army PX used to sell the Watts version, if memory serves correctly. Man I bought a bunch of LP's through the PX, they always had the Schwann catalog for you to look through, at least the PX's outside the US.

watts parostatik disc preener - Google Search

Do you mean a Disc Cleaner type (short fine bristles with foam underneath); not a Carbon Fiber brush right? And while we've got your attention for a sec. Freddie, what do you use for cleaning liquid? *and please keep it clean for our younger viewers :oops:

oh yeah! whoops! it was a bristles plus a pad jobby, not that one sorry i never had one of them that's just a brush thingy from the looks of it! 🤣

liquid is the "Wash It" stuff supplied with the Pro-Ject record cleaning machine.

how did you like dirty diana? 💃🏾

Those pits are from tiny bits of dust that stuck to the antistatic goo. You didn't hear the dust or the pits until you removed the goo.

Having the humidifier in the room is enough. It does not need to be right nest to the turntable or the electronics. But putting it at the other end of the house usually does not help the static problem.

One of those ion generators usually helps too, provided the ion charge is the opposite of the charge on the record.

One of those ion generators usually helps too, provided the ion charge is the opposite of the charge on the record.

I have always worked in some form of photography, the 1st 25 years of my career as ad/commercial photographer and in pro color labs. Static electricity & dust is a monster of a problem in both but esp the photo lab. We would use a neutralizing ionizer similar to this:

https://www.kinetronics.com/product/new-wide-format-anti-static-film-cleaning-machine-250mm/
In the 8x10 (neg/trans size) format darkroom we had a monster unit 15" high. Unlike the snazzy new ones it sat vertically & looked like WW II surplus what with the grey wrinkle paint. But it worked great even in winter. I don't imagine the ion charge could possibly match exactly the opposite of what was on the film but it certainly reduced static. Then with the film in the enlarger carrier it would get a couple of blasts of compressed air before printing.

When that photo lab went belly up I liberated the big anti-static device & used it for several years for records. Due to it's size it was easy to "roll" a 12" record through it & blast it off with some air. Not the same as deep cleaning but worked very well in conjunction with the Last Record Perservative & the Discwasher as needed.

It went in the closet when CD came out & a few years later I tossed it knowing, of course, I would never play records again.....

Back