Any DVD-A Software Players?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagnumX

400 Club - QQ All-Star
I have a handful of DVD-Audio discs I bought many years ago. I have a JVC carousel CD player with DVD-A output, but it needs a 5.1 analog input to function. My Marantz 7012 has 7.1 inputs, but unfortunately I'm out of rack space and it seems like I'd only use it on occasion with only half a dozen titles anyway. My question is there any software players (like KODI or Zidoo) that can play the DVD-A tracks from these discs (or a way to dump those tracks, even)? I've heard of receivers supporting direct playback of SACD titles, but even then I don't know if there's a way to play them from file dumps. I'm used to having my entire CD and BD collections on a Mac server for the whole house to use and almost everything can be played that way with some kind of player (including my DTS 5.1 Music CDs, Auro-3D Music "Pure Audio" Blu-Rays, etc.), but I don't recall seeing a way to play back DVD-Audio discs using a software player. Does anyone support one? Getting DVD-A hardware support seems like a losing battle in the long run even if I did hook up my existing player. What happens when it eventually breaks? Are there players new that still support DVD-A?

This is a picture of my new set up, it is stylish, about 6" tall and is a Sony all disc player and a Panasonic Blu Ray player. You might ask why buy two Blu Ray players? The last great Universal player was the OPPO 205 and is now ridiculously expensive. So for $1300.00 I got the current best rated BluRay player and the current best rated CD/SACD/DVD-A player.
For the purpose of this thread the DVD-A player Sony is $300.00 and the Panasonic is $1000.00. a heck of a lot better than a $4000.00 OPPO205.
IMG_0779.jpg
IMG_0781.jpg
IMG_0780.jpg

I rip DVD-A to flac. I rip (almost) everything to flac. (I leave lossily compressed dts alone and let my receiver or computer decode it, as it seems wrong, as well as inefficient, to rip a lossy format to a lossless format.)

I rip DVD-A to flac. I rip (almost) everything to flac. (I leave lossily compressed dts alone and let my receiver or computer decode it, as it seems wrong, as well as inefficient, to rip a lossy format to a lossless format.)

I tried ripping/converting to FLAC and that worked. I also found a new add-on for KODI that supposedly can play SACD and possibly DVD-A ISO rips, but it didn't seem to work on my Pink Floyd SACD rip. Converting to FLAC works, though.

Back