Any idea if this was ever released? (Wurst of P.D.Q. Bach)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Brent

300 Club - QQ All-Star
pdq_box.jpg

Got this and a few others from a record reviewer back in the late 70's -
most were white boxed "sample" copies of stuff that never made it to the
stores - all of the titles in printed boxes were also out in general release -
but I've yet to come across a store bout one of these.

thanks

pdq_box.jpg

Got this and a few others from a record reviewer back in the late 70's -
most were white boxed "sample" copies of stuff that never made it to the
stores - all of the titles in printed boxes were also out in general release -
but I've yet to come across a store bout one of these.

thanks

Yes it was!

I'm sorry - I meant, was it ever generally releasd on reel - I never saw a store copy (I have the SQ LP).
if so - what was the cat number (the Vanguads i have/had were all vss-1, through vss-19 this one is vss-40007/8? which is similar to the LP.

the other stuff that I never saw in general release was Queen (night at the opera) - I guess it counts as a white lable promo for reels - but nothing other than type written notes to the reviewer (no cat number track listing etc) - there were about 5 or 6 like that - I'll dig them up and pos the info

I've never seen the reel. Might make a good QpS project........

The quad reel sold for over $200 recently:
QUAD Peter Schickele "Wurst PDQ Bach" 7-1/2 ips Reel To Reel Tape QUADRAPHONIC | eBay
Would be interested in the new owner's impression of the mix.
I haven't been able to find a copy of the SQ lp with the big "QUADRAPHONIC" script on the front, but some pressings say quadraphonic only on the back.
I believe it was mentioned elsewhere recently that some/most/all Vanguard releases shared record sleeves with both stereo & quad catalog #s listed. What I took from this was It's only SQ quad version when it says Quadraphonic on the cover.

That 'quadraphonic DISCRETE' banner is something Ampex put on some of their quad reels, so you'll never find it on any of the Vanguard LPs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right, I was thinking of something like this: View attachment 67516

Ah yes, you're right about that, and you're also right that it seems that most (or maybe all?) of the Vanguard releases shared a back cover that had both the stereo and quad catalog number on it, so really, the only way to verify if a quad copy is for sale is if you can visually inspect it (or see pictures) and confirm the front cover is like the one above (with the SQ QUADRAPHONIC sash) or that the actual LP labels are the quad ones.

Ah yes, you're right about that, and you're also right that it seems that most (or maybe all?) of the Vanguard releases shared a back cover that had both the stereo and quad catalog number on it

You've just reminded me that having shared back covers was pretty common in the stereo/mono days but I don't remember ever seeing that with quad/stereo. Guess I just don't have any Vanguard!

Attachments

• wurst.jpg
    wurst.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 73
Although Vanguard LP back covers from the quad era posted both stereo and quad release numbers, not every stereo album had a parallel SQ issue. One example: The Country Gentlemen's self-titled Vanguard debut (VSD-79331). Band member Doyle Lawson recalled that a quad mix was made, and the album back cover listed VSQ-40021 as its SQ version. As a longtime fan of the band, I eagerly ordered it from my local retailer but the album never came in.

Yes, that's the one, I ordered from both discogs and amazon only to get the stereo versions, returned them. Haven't seen it come up on ebay.

That's too bad hopefully you'll eventually find the quad version. It would be nice if all sellers would make sure they listed their items properly but some don't seem to pay much attention. I bought a copy on discogs last year and luckily I got the quad version not stereo.

Back