Any Laurie Anderson fans here?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From today's Nonesuch newsletter: "Literary Hub has published an interview Laurie Anderson gave to Brooke Wentz between the 1981 release of Anderson's hit single "O Superman" and the 1983 premiere of her piece United States at BAM in Brooklyn, excerpted from Wentz's new book, Transfigured New York: Interviews with Experimental Artists and Musicians, 1980-1990. The book also includes interviews with Philip Glass, Steve Reich, Wayne Horvitz, Bill Frisell, Astor Piazzolla, and Kronos Quartet's David Harrington, among others."

https://lithub.com/plain-spoken-performance-art-a-conversation-with-laurie-anderson/

From today's Nonesuch newsletter: "Literary Hub has published an interview Laurie Anderson gave to Brooke Wentz between the 1981 release of Anderson's hit single "O Superman" and the 1983 premiere of her piece United States at BAM in Brooklyn, excerpted from Wentz's new book, Transfigured New York: Interviews with Experimental Artists and Musicians, 1980-1990. The book also includes interviews with Philip Glass, Steve Reich, Wayne Horvitz, Bill Frisell, Astor Piazzolla, and Kronos Quartet's David Harrington, among others."

https://lithub.com/plain-spoken-performance-art-a-conversation-with-laurie-anderson/
Thanks! A very good interview.

I saw Laurie perform once sometime in the mid 80s at a big show in Washington, D.C I think.

I most remember she had a full body suit with internal hidden sensors that she struck with her hands in various places (arms, legs etc) that triggered different sounds, presumably via MIDI.

Later I had moved to NYC and saw her on the subway in the afternoon somewhere in the east village. I approached her and we had a brief conversation after I asked her if she still had that suit hanging in her closet. She was a little shy, very nice, and said 'nice meeting you' when I got off at the next stop. Unforgettable eyes.

Back