Any QQ members using FFmpeg for Mac?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B&W Driver

I downloaded and unzipped FFmpeg for Mac tonight. As I had created a special folder for experimenting with the utility, I placed the unzipped Unix executable -- known simply as "ffmpeg" -- in the new folder and proceeded to place some quad audio files that I previously ripped from an SACD-A and, subsequently, converted from .dsf to .wav (via JRiver Media Center for Mac).

I'm not much of a Terminal user, but, after I got the ffmpeg and the audio files into the new folder, I launched Terminal and used the "CD" command to move over to the object folder. After I arrived at the correct folder, I typed in the following command to attempt my first conversion via FFmpeg: "ffmpeg -i 01.wav -strict -2 01.mlp". No quotation marks, of course, but the point is that FFmpeg seems to be unhappy with the command I used. [NOTE: all of the audio file/track names were changed to simple numbers to save typing time]. In the end, here's what I got back from FFmpeg:

Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 1.35.55 AM.png

As you can see, after using the "ls" command to ensure that all of the .wav files were present in the new folder, called "audioconversion," I typed in the command string I mentioned before (above the screenshot) and got this back: "-bash: ffmpeg: command not found." As I mentioned, I'm not much of a Terminal user, so I employed a command string that was recommended to me for audio file conversion. The fellow who was kind enough to pass along the command string I used was a Windows user, so is it possible that FFmpeg for Windows and FFmpeg for Mac employ different commands?

Thank you kindly for your time

By default, bash doesn’t look in the current folder to locate the command to run, so you have to indicate the path to it by typing: ./ffmpeg followed by the parameters.

you need a path to the executable.
On bash this should work.
for ((i=1; i<10; i++))
do
ffmepg -i $i.wav -strict -2 $i.mlp
done

By default, bash doesn’t look in the current folder to locate the command to run, so you have to indicate the path to it by typing: ./ffmpeg followed by the parameters.
Francois.... Adding the ./ (dot-forward slash) to the front of the command line I used actually rendered a conversion. Merci beaucoup, monsieur! :)

Now I need to find commands to make DVD-A Author for Mac work. :unsure:

you need a path to the executable.
On bash this should work.
for ((i=1; i<10; i++))
do
ffmepg -i $i.wav -strict -2 $i.mlp
done
marplot .... Cheers for the thoughtful information. I was wondering about a couple of things in your post. First, what is "bash"? Next, I was wondering what adding the $ (dollar sign) accomplishes?

By the way, do you happen to know any commands for working with the freeware called DVD-A Author (for Mac)?

In the case of your example...
The first line sets up a 10 cycle loop where $i is the variable 1 - 10.
The do and done are start and end of the loop.
The ffmpeg line will then run 10 times with the $i changing by +1 each run.
So it would run and convert all 10 of your samples.

Isn't bash the underlying shell now on Mac? If not the whatever it is will have some ability to execute similiar code.

I do not know Mac or the dvd tool you are using, sorry.
I do use sox, ffmpeg, perl and now mmh to accomplish most of my conversion needs on my PC.

marplot .... Cheers for the thoughtful information. I was wondering about a couple of things in your post. First, what is "bash"? Next, I was wondering what adding the $ (dollar sign) accomplishes?

By the way, do you happen to know any commands for working with the freeware called DVD-A Author (for Mac)?
Not sure about the Mac version. I have commands that work for the PC version. In the directory that contains DVDA-Author, I have an empty subdirectory called DVD, which will become the output location for the authored DVDA files. I also have a directory called "source", in which I place my sources files. After the following command runs, the DVD folder gets populated with folders AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS. Those will be used to create the iso for burning.

dvda-author -o DVD -g source\*.mlp

That command basically means output to folder DVD after processing the files all MLP files in the source directory.

The GUI version might be easier but I find it harder to control.

It may be helpful for Mac users to know that the version of DVDA-Author GUI for Mac (19.09) that I'm attempting to use requires MacOS 10.12.X "Sierra" or newer to run. The machine I had planned to use it on had Mac OS X 10.11.6 "El Capitan" on it, so I'm backing it up right now before upgrading to the 10.12.X operating system.

In the case of your example...
The first line sets up a 10 cycle loop where $i is the variable 1 - 10.
The do and done are start and end of the loop.
The ffmpeg line will then run 10 times with the $i changing by +1 each run.
So it would run and convert all 10 of your samples.

Isn't bash the underlying shell now on Mac? If not the whatever it is will have some ability to execute similiar code.

I do not know Mac or the dvd tool you are using, sorry.
I do use sox, ffmpeg, perl and now mmh to accomplish most of my conversion needs on my PC.
Marplot .... Yes, I've learned that "bash" is the default Unix shell employed by Mac OS X and MacOS. Apparently, they made the switch from tcsh to bash to satisfy international customers that use Unicode text.

It may be helpful for Mac users to know that the version of DVDA-Author GUI for Mac (19.09) that I'm attempting to use requires MacOS 10.12.X "Sierra" or newer to run. The machine I had planned to use it on had Mac OS X 10.11.6 "El Capitan" on it, so I'm backing it up right now before upgrading to the 10.12.X operating system.
As you already know, I'm not a Mac guy. However, the command line version of DVDA-Author might not be a picky about the MacOS as the GUI version. Have you tried to fun the command line on your existing MacOS?

Last edited:
As you already know, I'm not a Mac guy. However, the command line version of DVDA-Author might not be a picky about the MacOS as the GUI version. Have you tried to fun the command line on your existing MacOS?
I used the command line -- which is called "Terminal" on a Mac -- to convert the quad WAV files we're working with to MLP. I have not, however, used Terminal for DVD-A Author.

Command line is a generic term hence cli .. command line interface and gui ... graphical user inteface.
They denote you are using commands and switches rather than gui boxes and mouse clicks.
If your dvd software has a cli component, give it a go. Normally from terminal if you run a command expecting arguments/switches it will complain and provide useful suggestions or better yet, the syntax.

As the AUDIO_TS, the empty VIDEO_TS and the ISO files I got from DVD_A Author all appear to be correct, I have to assume that the Burn To Disc utility that comes with macOS will not write/burn/record a multichannel ISO image?

The QQ member post that inspired me to use DVD-A Author GUI in the first place seems to have employed ImgBurn to burn the ISO file he got from DVD-A Author GUI, but ImgBurn appears to be a Windows utility...so I suppose that I'm back to asking for assistance from the Mac folks on the QQ forum boards. Perhaps I should start a new thread?

As the AUDIO_TS, the empty VIDEO_TS and the ISO files I got from DVD_A Author all appear to be correct, I have to assume that the Burn To Disc utility that comes with macOS will not write/burn/record a multichannel ISO image?

The QQ member post that inspired me to use DVD-A Author GUI in the first place seems to have employed ImgBurn to burn the ISO file he got from DVD-A Author GUI, but ImgBurn appears to be a Windows utility...so I suppose that I'm back to asking for assistance from the Mac folks on the QQ forum boards. Perhaps I should start a new thread?
I just had a similar fail as you. I'll send you a PM about it.

Examine the files inside of AUDIO_TS. I bet you have ATS_01_1.AOB, etc. but not the corresponding .BUP or .IFO files for each. If that's case, I think I have found an issue/bug. I am trying to find a work around for a project I am working on.

Here's what's "inside" of the ISO image created yesterday by DVD-A Author for Mac...

Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 2.11.25 PM.png

...and, much to my confusion, the AUDIO_TS folder contains exactly the same files as the ones shown in my last post...

Back