Any QQ'rs with USB sticks in Brooklyn this weekend?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
If so, check it out if you can!!

19 Acura.jpg

The new Acura soundsystem is supposed to be able to play 5.1 files from USB (wav and FLAC, I think...)

Allegedly the 3D ELS Variant in the Advance and A-Spec models will play 5.1 .flac files. We can't be sure until one of us tries it for ourselves.
I will be sure to give it a shot but my dealer still doesn't have a car yet.

This is the commercial start of the end of our beloved plastic media. Disc's will soon be obsolete. Or something like that. But, like LP's I think they will still be made. FZ talked about this with cable TV and the bandwidth it is capable of. able to carry TV, music and once we had Sega games on it.
he did say, that there will always be those who like to hold and read the covers, "touch and feel" he said, I'm one of them. Not against USB or digital storage media, just like to 'see" my collection sitting there.

...there will always be those who like to hold and read the covers, "touch and feel" he said, I'm one of them. Not against USB or digital storage media, just like to 'see" my collection sitting there.

I would agree in general, but I have to say it's really clunky carrying around a binder of CD-Rs to play in my car. in this case, having all my surround material on a USB stick will be a lot more convenient.

Also Acura kept the CD drive around longer than most...this is hardly the beginning of the end, physical media has been declining for quite a while now.

I can't wait to get an update. I am so hoping this will give us hope. I am not sure how to convert all my goodies to a USB, (I don't know what happens with the watermark issue), but this sounds promising.

This is the commercial start of the end of our beloved plastic media. Disc's will soon be obsolete. Or something like that. But, like LP's I think they will still be made. FZ talked about this with cable TV and the bandwidth it is capable of. able to carry TV, music and once we had Sega games on it.
he did say, that there will always be those who like to hold and read the covers, "touch and feel" he said, I'm one of them. Not against USB or digital storage media, just like to 'see" my collection sitting there.
I've been looking at a new Audi, as standard not a Disc player in sight! An option on the A5.

I can't wait to get an update. I am so hoping this will give us hope. I am not sure how to convert all my goodies to a USB, (I don't know what happens with the watermark issue), but this sounds promising.

most dvd copy software will clone the dvd-audio, foobar with the dvda plugin will recognize the iso file, it can then be converted with foo to 5.1 wav or flac with flac frontend plugged in. also free, or i believe audiomuxer can convert it also. The watermark is only valid when the audio is burned to a physical disc and played on a disc player, when played as an audio file the watermark goes by by.

Last edited:
I went to my Acura dealer today just to see what was up and they won't have a car until after Memorial Day. Oh well.
I still don't know what it will cost and how I'll afford it, but we must press on and won't worry until I actually hear for myself a 5.1 .flac file play in the car. Then all bets are off! :)

Always good to see all these posts where our QQrs are actually considering the purchase of a vehicle based on whether it can play 5.1. I've been holding onto my 2013 Acura MDX mainly because it can play all my DVDAs. I've got all my discs converted to 5.1 FLAC, so I'm looking forward to giving the RDX a test drive with a USB in-hand. My wife thinks I'm nuts...now I know I'm not.

I'm going to try to go to the local dealer's unveiling on Tuesday and will try to test the USB capabilities. I don't have any 5.1 FLAC files but it seems like I remember reading there were some demo tracks available out there. If anyone can suggest a site with some 5.1 sample files, I'll bring them along. I'll also try some 16/44 and 24/96 FLAC files.

Can I use an NTFS formatted USB drive? I always forget which way to format them for the Acuras (my 2007 RDX doesn't have any USB capabilities).

I'm going to try to go to the local dealer's unveiling on Tuesday and will try to test the USB capabilities. I don't have any 5.1 FLAC files but it seems like I remember reading there were some demo tracks available out there. If anyone can suggest a site with some 5.1 sample files, I'll bring them along. I'll also try some 16/44 and 24/96 FLAC files.

Can I use an NTFS formatted USB drive? I always forget which way to format them for the Acuras (my 2007 RDX doesn't have any USB capabilities).

Send HomerJAU a PM on here and he could advise you

I still can't find anything on Acura site that mentions 5.1 FLAC on USB. I am only assuming they have never offered it before. Has any auto maker ever offered a 5.1 USB option?

I was going to bring 1 USB stick formatted NTFS and 1 formatted FAT, just to cover all bases.

If you need a 5.1 .flac file, shoot me a PM. I can get you one or two to try.

I still can't find anything on Acura site that mentions 5.1 FLAC on USB. I am only assuming they have never offered it before. Has any auto maker ever offered a 5.1 USB option?

Automakers don't bother to advertise in much detail when it comes to audio systems...you get the usual number of speakers and wattage "claims".....Meridian car audio systems offer this feature in Land/Range Rovers(not all models)and Jaguar's...and some other high end vehicles...in the Acura it's only available in a couple of models...you are lucky if any automaker even mentions USB capability...it's an afterthought these days..

Back